LegacyGT.com

OpenECU Pro-tune

cfdrumr

what tuners will tune via open ECU? I am in socal and looking for a protune but I am not shelling out the $ for an AP. Will places like Yimisport, Harman, ect... tune an openECU (ECUflash) car?

I tune Opensource. Just did 2 LGT in the past 2 days with OS. Give me a call at Yimi Sport at (661)251-3966 to schedule an appointment.

Were either of those 07-08 LGT's (or spec.b)? Any idea what the 2007-08 cars are putting out with a custom tune?

ANY information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

$400. Includes a baseline run and all dyno time as well as the tune (duh! ;)) If you want, I can throw in an economy map for free, although you will need a Tactrix cable if you want to be able to switch maps on your own.

Thats a lot of money. Is it cheaper to do a road tune and not a dyno tune?

Thats really not a bad price considering dyno time is usually about 100 bucks/hr and most tuners charge about 300 bucks for a tune. Still a better option IMHO versus a Cobb OTS map and the higher cost of an AccessPort.

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

$400 for a pro to tune isn't bad. I think an open source tune is just a little less out here, but not sure.

Road tuning is cheaper, sure. But you aren't done road tuning in 2 hours and you risk blowing your motor if you don't know what you are doing and/or are not carefully monitoring the tune. Road tuning has the potential to be a helluva lot more expensive. It's what I prefer though.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Many professional tuners actually charge more for an opensource based tune as compared to a Cobb AP based tune as they tend to be more time consuming. With Cobb's pro tuner software we can make realtime changes which makes tuning quite a bit quicker, especially when there is some kind of an aftermarket intake involved.

As for how much a tune should cost, $400 is the going rate in most of the country for a good tune from a professional. I have a dyno at my disposal and I prefer to use it rather than risk life and license making repeated wide open throttle runs on public streets. Getting a ticket is a heck of a lot more expensive than dyno time.

While everyone wants to spend the least amount of money possible, the tune on your ECU is probably the single most important factor governing how well your car runs. As the old adage goes: Penny wise, pound foolish ;)

As for how much a tune should cost, $400 is the going rate in most of the country for a tuner with a dyno.

I have corrected my share of tunes from so called "professionls". It is really is all about how familiar the tuner is with the said platform. Dyno time is usually expensive and really a stg 1 dyno/road tune is a complete waste. Even though a road tune may not be the most practical, it is in fact the best form of tuning.

I have corrected my share of tunes from so called "professionls". It is really is all about how familiar the tuner is with the said platform. Dyno time is usually expensive and really a stg 1 dyno/road tune is a complete waste. Even though a road tune may not be the most practical, it is in fact the best form of tuning.

I doubt you have had to "correct" any of mine ;) I also will highly debate that road tuning is the "best". You simply cannot see some of the small changes in power you get from minor timing/fueling/cam timing changes on the road. You can on the dyno. Add a few small gains together and you end up with substantive progress. I have had cars run cleanly (no knock) with more timing and/or less fuel but not make more power, so I just take those changes right back out. No sense in pushing the car closer to the det threshold for no real gains. Some guys tuning on the street will keep on adding timing (particularly up top) thinking that as long as it isn't knocking then it must be making more power, when there is nothing really being gained.

I just tuned an Evo 9 with a GT35R today that I gained over 20whp/20wtq in the midrange with cam timing changes. I went a couple degrees at a time till it was optimized. I would have hated to do that on the street, as the top of 4th gear was around 120mph. There really aren't any street around here that anyone in their right mind would make repeated pulls on at that speed.

Anyways, the dyno is a very useful tuning tool. Having said that I do always verify my tunes on the street to make sure everything is working the same way it did on the dyno. I have a very good feel of the differences in loading and airflow between the dyno and the street and I have a couple small set tweaks I make before taking it to the street and it's almost always right on the money.

I doubt you have had to "correct" any of mine ;) I also will highly debate that road tuning is the "best". You simply cannot see some of the small changes in power you get from minor timing/fueling/cam timing changes on the road. You can on the dyno. Add a few small gains together and you end up with substantive progress. I have had cars run cleanly (no knock) with more timing and/or less fuel but not make more power, so I just take those changes right back out. No sense in pushing the car closer to the det threshold for no real gains. Some guys tuning on the street will keep on adding timing (particularly up top) thinking that as long as it isn't knocking then it must be making more power, when there is nothing really being gained.

I just tuned an Evo 9 with a GT35R today that I gained over 20whp/20wtq in the midrange with cam timing changes. I went a couple degrees at a time till it was optimized. I would have hated to do that on the street, as the top of 4th gear was around 120mph. There really aren't any street around here that anyone in their right mind would make repeated pulls on at that speed.

Anyways, the dyno is a very useful tuning tool. Having said that I do always verify my tunes on the street to make sure everything is working the same way it did on the dyno. I have a very good feel of the differences in loading and airflow between the dyno and the street and I have a couple small set tweaks I make before taking it to the street and it's almost always right on the money.

I will say, no I have ever corrected one of your tunes. I understand where you are coming from as far as dyno vs the street and I will simply say I disagree. The lack of proper loading of the dyno is more than you seemed to have experienced. The EVO is an entirely different platform, but I will say that there is no reason it should of been needed to take to the top of 4th at 120mph on the street. I have buddies with 30r and 35r powered vehicles with EVO's included. Any tuning that can be done at the top of 3rd wil suffice for the 5MT's. I am talking vehicles that have no problem trapping 125+mph.

I will say, no I have ever corrected one of your tunes. I understand where you are coming from as far as dyno vs the street and I will simply say I disagree. The lack of proper loading of the dyno is more than you seemed to have experienced. The EVO is an entirely different platform, but I will say that there is no reason it should of been needed to take to the top of 4th at 120mph on the street. I have buddies with 30r and 35r powered vehicles with EVO's included. Any tuning that can be done at the top of 3rd wil suffice for the 5MT's. I am talking vehicles that have no problem trapping 125+mph.

It was an Evo MR, so it had a 6MT. Unless you can find an uphill stretch to road tune on, 3rd gear does not give enough load to prevent an overly aggressive tune. I was making cam timing changes all the way from boost threshold to full cut at 8K rpm which equals 120mph. The kid who owns the car is one of those guys who wails on his car 24/7 so I needed to make sure the tune was safe everywhere. We just changed his clutch along with all the bolt-on power parts and ALL the friction material was ripped off the clutch disk. As in bare metal on one side of the disk :eek:. Most amazing thing I've ever seen :lol:

The last car I tuned last week was an STi in full widebody ESX regalia. Full Cossy longblock, GT35R. You'd be absolutely nuts to road tune in that thing. The owner told me he's been pulled over 14 times in the last couple of years and he drives like grandma on the street. I can only imagine the kind of attention I'd attract running it WOT up and down the street a couple of times.

I'm not knocking street tuning and I certainly have gotten "up to speed" on the street ;). However going back and forth on a reasonably open stretch of road to double check on a tune that was completed on the dyno is a far cry from the repeated runs a complete tune requires.

Even though a road tune may not be the most practical, it is in fact the best form of tuning.

I still stand by this, I have no problem getting the runs I need in out here. There really is no replacement for proper road tuning. ;)

Archived