LegacyGT.com

Pontiac G8 GT Initial Impressions

So, I've been wondering about the G8 GT since I heard about it... Went to the dealership yesterday to test drive one.

First thoughts: The car looks fairly agressive and styled. It has a wider stance than the LGT and wider tires. From purely a looks view, its very nice on the exterior.

Interior: I know some of these things may be superficial, but I go through as much as I can. I have gotten used to certain build qualities, looks, feelings, the works. The sunvisors - they suck. They feel like cardboard with some material over them, they dont have the sunblock extenders either. The rear view mirror had a compass in it, but no auto dimming (I dont think its an addable feature either, could be wrong). The center console was WIDE!!! But it also felt really cheap. Could just be that I expect too much out of a Pontiac, but if I'm spending 30k plus on a car... It better be sweet all around.

Just thought about it, I'll break it down to the good and the bad... :)

The good:

Ride quality: it felt fairly soft, but also very sporty... Some people may think it was too soft, but it felt a little plushier than a stock GT, but around the corners it felt very planted and had good grip. Bumps in the car didnt kill you, but when you needed to go round a corner, it didnt cave in.

Body roll: Really didnt feel a whole lot of body roll, but I also didnt take it around sharp corners at 60+ MPH. It did feel very firm though for being such a large car.

The display: I thought it looked very clean and modern. The gauges were clean and the heads-up display was very intuitive and informative, lots of options to toy around with. Almost too many really...

6 speed auto: I am not a huge fan of automatics... But I'm not completely opposed to them either. For what it is, it was very smooth and responsive. I might venture to say a little better than the 5EAT in the LGT... Dont hate me though, just what I assessed... lol

The roominess: The interior felt really really large. It felt a lot wider inside. I am 6'4" and I had no problem with room. The seat was very comfortable and adjusted WAY back... it felt like someone who was 7'4" could fit comfortably. I normally have a difficult time finding a good seating position, and if I do find one, its WAY WAY back and nearly at the limits of the seat... This one goes beyond my limits, way beyond... So the adjustability and seating room was great. Then I left my seat where it was and jumped in back behind it... My knees were touching, but not by much. If the driver moved the seat up 1" it would be perfect, and the driver still wouldnt be crowded by just the 1" forward.

The keyfob: Ok, so maybe some of you dont really give a dang... But I really liked it. The buttons were inset enough so you arent going to accidentally have them pressed if they stay in your pocket, and the key folded into the fob like the VW's and those fancy european cars do... I kinda like those... lol This model also had the remote start, very nice :)

The Engine: While I think my stage 2 LGT is faster on the 1/4 mile, (ok... So no I havent taken them both out at the same time and raced them... Just going off my butt dyno) it does have loads of torque. Down low, it was excellent and going from 60-90 was quite smooth. It does not lack for power, but I'm not sure if it really has that much more power... I know the charts say 361HP, and a stage 2 LGT has close to 300 HP right?, but I swear the car weighs as much as a house and probably makes the car feel slower than it should.

Storage space in the car: I forgot to look in the glove box, but it looked pretty sizeable. There was a pretty decent amount of storage room though, in the doors, in the center. It was fairly handy in that respect.

Dual Climate zones and rear air-con: Ok, explains itself... Pretty simple, very nice to have.

The bad:

The trunk space: For a car this big, I was AMAZED at how small the trunk really is. The sales person was like, oh yea, the trunk on this thing is huge, you can fit bodies in that thing... I popped it open and I was like, what trunk?!?! Its only about 1' 6" tall/deep at best and about as long of a trunk as the LGT. It really looked like it was half the trunk we have. I'm betting that it has a full size spare, forgot to check, because of the lack of depth on the trunk. As for the width, probably about the same as the LGT as well... Really didnt look all that big and I was NOT impressed with it. Also has the battery in the trunk behind a panel. Not that it's a bad thing, but it does take up more space.

EDIT: As ShrinerMonkey stated below, the trunk is larger than the LGT... Maybe it just looked really small because the car is big? But I really didnt think it was all that big though. My bad

Trunk passthrough: Ok, so it has a trunk pass through, and its a little wider than the LGT's trunk pass through, but no 60/40 split... I dont have that in my 05... But I really wish I did. It would add a lot more to the car. And when the trunk pass-through was down, it really looked kinda ugly IMO... I cant really explain it, but the plastic cupholder thing built into the back, the way it was mounted... Really didnt like it all that much.

Interior quality: The seats felt pretty nice, very comfortable, but the plastic they used... Horrible. I really didnt like it all that much. For what it is though, not bad I guess. Not much to say about it all expect that I dont think its as good as the LGT, and the LGT isnt the best quality, but not the worst by far either.

Premium Stereo: HORRIBLE!!! Might I add that it sucks so bad, I would replace it with the stock LGT system and be happier. It's an 11 speaker Blaukpunt or whatever... It was awful! I am comparing it to FoCal polyglass speakers and JL subs from my current setup, but really, it was not impressive... Especially not for 11 freaking speakers! I havent listened to the HK in the new 09's yet, but I'd venture to say that it sounds a heck of a lot better than this thing. Blaukpunt isnt really all that high quality to start with anyways, so I guess that's what I get eh.

No manual option: Need I say more? I want a manual, period :)

Steering Wheel: The absolute best, most comfortable, sportiest feeling steering wheel I have ever felt is the 05-07 LGT. The G8's felt, well... Too similar to the 08's steering wheel, but not as nice... I cant really explain it, the quality of the wheel wasnt that nice, and the grip wasnt great, and the thickness was too thin for my taste. Overall the feeling of it wasnt all that great. It also has like 1000 different buttons and such you can adjust and mess with, I really didnt play with them all that much, but there was a lot of stuff on there. lol And no up/down controls for switching gears, no paddles, nothing...

Center Console: I dont like window buttons and side mirror adjustments on the center console. I like them to be where they're supposed to be... Drivers side door :) And the mirror adjustments to the left of the steering wheel on the dash. They were kind of a nuisence on the center console.

Shifter: As I aleady stated above with the steering wheel, there are no controls (at least none I could find) that would make the gears go up and down. Which wouldnt be a big problem if the shifter wasnt in the middle of the console, which is already huge, and honestly felt very uncomfortable reaching over that much to shift a freaking gear. And the shifter went to the right even further to put it in the sport shift mode... Why didnt they make it CLOSER and not farther away!!! Highly annoying and I really didnt care to use the shifter much after I tried it.

The A pillar: The absolutely most horrible hateful thing on this car for me was the A pillar... HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!!! It was like 6 inches wide!!! You can literally have a F350 dually hiding behind that A pillar coming down the road and never see it coming. You have to look way back or way forward to see around that thing... Its crazy huge. I love the fact that the LGT A pillar is so thin, but super strong, and is not restrictive on your view. The A pillar on this thing freaked me out every time I went to turn a corner. I wasnt sure if there was a car coming or not until I sat forward really far or leaned way way back to try and look around it.

The summary:

Not a terrible car, but definately needs some more help on some things. It has some nifty gadgets, but they really arent all that great. The engine is very nice, plenty of torque and has a lot of room for more improvements with very little effort (come on, its a 6.0L V8 :) ). For the price tag this one had, 32k, you can get an equally spec'd LGT, so they are in the same category really... But there's just some things I could not live with. Maybe in later year models they will addresss some of the things, but that's to be seen. One other deal breaker is the fact that there is no manual editions yet. I know auto's are just as good now (if you get the good ones) but I like the feel of a manual too much to sacrifice it.

Ok, so I know I wrote a novel. Some of you may have gone out and tested it, really liked it, really hated it, what not... Just figured I would write up a review based on what I experienced.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

yeah, the leggy has a small ass trunk and almost worthless pass thru.

<----- never complained about lack of cargo space :lol:

I only open the passthrough for ventilation in the trunk for my amps, otherwise I don't see the point in having it. Also, I love how nothing in the Legacy feels cheap(interior, seats, etc.). This is my first car, and I am glad I went with it.

Good writeup:

As mentioned: The trunk is larger then it appears

I prefer the console mounted switches, trust me you get used to them. Its handy to have the passenger able to put up or down the windows.

The sport package has a thicker steering wheel. Best wheel this side of a BMW sport wheel.

The stereo is a lot better then the LGT. You have to adjust the sound and then turn up the sub amp. Not a great system but good enough for most.

I don't really look at the pass through. Its huge for a pass through and it works.

Soon to be released GXP version will get the full 400+hp & a 6MT along with much more aggressive rubber. All for under 40K including Nav:):):)

With a few rebates which will def. be standard for the first year youo could possibly pick up a GXP version for 35-36k;)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Good writeup:

As mentioned: The trunk is larger then it appears

I prefer the console mounted switches, trust me you get used to them. Its handy to have the passenger able to put up or down the windows.

The sport package has a thicker steering wheel. Best wheel this side of a BMW sport wheel.

The stereo is a lot better then the LGT. You have to adjust the sound and then turn up the sub amp. Not a great system but good enough for most.

I don't really look at the pass through. Its huge for a pass through and it works.

Glad someone backs me up on the trunk looking small... lol, didnt think I was going crazy... It looked small, even though its actually quite large on paper.

The center mounted window switches still kinda get me, its very hard to get used to for me because I've always used door mounted ones, but I do see the benefits. But the center mounted side mirror switch, your gonna have to put up a VERY convincing argument to justify that one... lol

I didnt see if this model had the sport package for the steering wheel stuff... Whatever it was I really didnt care for it though, so it might not have been the sport package. Might have to go test one that does have it ;) lol

What LGT version stereo are you comparing it to? Was it the 06 or 07 models that came out with the SRS wow and actually made the stereo sound better. I know the 05 system sucked, but the SRS system with the factory sub really sounded good to me... But, then again I havent listened to that system in a while and I've been spoiled with my setup. I did mess with the EQ and audio quite a bit, but I might have missed some things, the menu's were quite unique, some of them didnt take me to where I thought they should have. It wasnt a BAD sound system necessarily, but for a premium package I thought it was sub par. I've heard a lot better non-premium stereos.

Trunk pass through was pretty big, but I'd really like to see a 60/40 split honestly. I think its a lot more convinient and useful.

Obviously you like the car enough to have bought one, what would you like to see changed on it? We've got a list miles long for the LGT changes, lol... What sold you on it, what almost broke the deal for you, etc?

Oh, and one thing that I was really wondering about... How much have they de-tuned the car... Just doing the COBB to our car releases quite a bit more juice, do they have any chips for the G8 yet that unleash an extra 40HP or something?

Soon to be released GXP version will get the full 400+hp & a 6MT along with much more aggressive rubber. All for under 40K including Nav:):):)

With a few rebates which will def. be standard for the first year youo could possibly pick up a GXP version for 35-36k;)

I cant wait for the GXP honestly... I'm really anxious to see what kind of beast that is. By the time it comes out I may be getting a better job and looking to upgrade, and it might be worth it :) Even though I'm still gonna have to get over that horrid A pillar. Yughhh!!! That's gotta be the absolute worst thing about the car really. I could get used to a lot of things about the car in general that I didnt quite fancy, but that A pillar would drive me insane. lol

http://www.cars.com/features/autoshows/2008/newyork/coverage/images/2009_pontiac_g8_gxp/2009_pontiac_g8_gxp_2_430.jpg

http://www.cars.com/features/autoshows/2008/newyork/coverage/images/2009_pontiac_g8_gxp/2009_pontiac_g8_gxp_9_430.jpg

LS6

It is believed the final HP #'s will be in the 405-415range:):)

After seeing how well the same motor responds to Bolt-ons in the Vette such as headers, catback, intake, ported manifold & TB along with a tune......= 400-410whp

19" wheels will be standard

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

In that picture the steering wheel looks a LOT nicer than the one I tested, and they have cupholders where the window controls were, and its a manual <3 lol

Definately cant wait to see the GXP, might be quite a bit different than just the GT.

Once again, GM is releasing a muscle car into a market with $4+ gas. :rolleyes: Where are the competitive small cars? Oh BTW, the Chevy Beat that was the favorite at the auto show by over 1 million votes is NOT coming to the U.S. :rolleyes: Seriously, you cannot make this stuff up.

http://www.cars.com/features/autoshows/2008/newyork/coverage/images/2009_pontiac_g8_gxp/2009_pontiac_g8_gxp_2_430.jpg

http://www.cars.com/features/autoshows/2008/newyork/coverage/images/2009_pontiac_g8_gxp/2009_pontiac_g8_gxp_9_430.jpg

LS6

It is believed the final HP #'s will be in the 405-415range:):)

After seeing how well the same motor responds to Bolt-ons in the Vette such as headers, catback, intake, ported manifold & TB along with a tune......= 400-410whp

19" wheels will be standard

yeah, that's it, here's it's cousin: http://www.holden.co.nz/vehicle/commodore/ssv/

Guest heightsgtltd
I am surprised that the interior bits feel so cheap. I was under the impression that Holdens used pretty good quality plastics, etc.

so let me get this straight; gxp will accept aftermarket intended for both c0 corvettes, and the holden (thinking primarily of that nasty twin turbo package)? *blur-harp wipe into daydream of sooooo much enjoyably wasted rubber*

Once again, GM is releasing a muscle car into a market with $4+ gas. :rolleyes:

I think this big V8 makes about the same fuel economy as my old LGT did, except it's much more powerful and is in a much larger car.

I think this big V8 makes about the same fuel economy as my old LGT did, except it's much more powerful and is in a much larger car.

When I was communting on I95 with my '96 Z28 with the six speed manual guys at work would sometimes comment on my 'gas hog' .

I would tell them that I got 25 MPG communting at 80 mph , most of them did not do as wll in their cars. My 05 stage II LGT does 22-24 MPG in the same commute.

I could see the G8 with cylinder deactiviation and long gearing and the six speed manual easily exceeding 25 MPG highway .

Here is something disgusting to consider. My Tundra, a 5600lb 4X4 with all the aerodynamic properties of a brick, packing a 381hp 5.7L V8 can get 19.2-20.0mpg on my damn commute. The LGT did the same drive, at the same speed, returning 23.5-24.0mpg on average. WTF? The Tundra doesn't even require premium gas! I have a much much longer range in the Tundra, seeing as how the tank hold 26.4 gallons vs. the 16 or so in the LGT.

Archived