LegacyGT.com

Pontiac G8 GT Initial Impressions

where's the wagon, GM? gosh....

It's funny, when G8 was uneviled, how Lutz commented that as much as he likes wagons he does not think wagons would sell in the U.S. Yet, they are introducing Caddy CTS wagon.... :rolleyes:

Yeah but you need a CC with a credit limit of 10,000 to fill up your tundra. Or something like that, I am bad at math.

I fill it up about as often as I did the LGT, actually a little less often given it's greater fuel range. The difference in operating costs are meaningless to me at this point. The last fill up was something like $66, to go from 3/4 tank (indicated) to a full tank so about 17 gallons or so. The LGT would take on about 13 gallons once the fuel light came on just after being down to a 1/4 tank, so that would have cost me about $55 due to needing premium fuel.

So on a practical basis of what I actually spend every two weeks or so, the difference is meaningless to me. I spend more than that on magazines and books in a given month so I could care less.

Now if I were to fun all the way down to empty in the truck until it fumed out to a stop I would put on 26.4 gallons and it would cost about $103 at local fuel prices, as I recall the LGT tank would hold a whopping 16.9 gallons of premium and that would cost about $72 at local prices for 91-93 octane fuel. Again not a big enough difference to me. It isn't that the Tundra is really fuel efficient, it's not; it is just that the LGT was a fuel slut for the performance and size it offered.

It's funny, when G8 was uneviled, how Lutz commented that as much as he likes wagons he does not think wagons would sell in the U.S. Yet, they are introducing Caddy CTS wagon.... :rolleyes:

the hypocrisy [sic] is killing me with these manufacturers. they haven't even released the manual G8 yet.

at this point, SOA doesn't want LGT wagons (and, since 06, no MT LGT wgns), Pontiac has deleted the wagon possibility from the G8 (no MT yet), c'mon BMW and bring the M3 wagon over here. I'll jump off the subie ship for that.

I used to see 28mpg in my 2000 Trans Am 6 speed when it made 350rwhp, 26mpg is the best i got with 430rwhp and 25mpg or so in my 96 forumla. Just because its a v8 doesnt mena shit, hell people have seen 25mpg out of the z06 and thats 505hp.

Glad someone backs me up on the trunk looking small... lol, didnt think I was going crazy... It looked small, even though its actually quite large on paper.

The center mounted window switches still kinda get me, its very hard to get used to for me because I've always used door mounted ones, but I do see the benefits. But the center mounted side mirror switch, your gonna have to put up a VERY convincing argument to justify that one... lol

I didnt see if this model had the sport package for the steering wheel stuff... Whatever it was I really didnt care for it though, so it might not have been the sport package. Might have to go test one that does have it ;) lol

What LGT version stereo are you comparing it to? Was it the 06 or 07 models that came out with the SRS wow and actually made the stereo sound better. I know the 05 system sucked, but the SRS system with the factory sub really sounded good to me... But, then again I havent listened to that system in a while and I've been spoiled with my setup. I did mess with the EQ and audio quite a bit, but I might have missed some things, the menu's were quite unique, some of them didnt take me to where I thought they should have. It wasnt a BAD sound system necessarily, but for a premium package I thought it was sub par. I've heard a lot better non-premium stereos.

Trunk pass through was pretty big, but I'd really like to see a 60/40 split honestly. I think its a lot more convinient and useful.

Obviously you like the car enough to have bought one, what would you like to see changed on it? We've got a list miles long for the LGT changes, lol... What sold you on it, what almost broke the deal for you, etc?

Oh, and one thing that I was really wondering about... How much have they de-tuned the car... Just doing the COBB to our car releases quite a bit more juice, do they have any chips for the G8 yet that unleash an extra 40HP or something?

The trunk is long and wide but not much depth.

I like the windows switches but the mirror control is dumb. There could be a lot better uses of the space.

The sport package wheel is the same that the GXP is getting. It comes with the 19in wheels.

I had an 05 GT stereo. The sound was very tinny and totally disappointing. In the G8 you have to adjust the sound. Then you have to go in the trunk and turn the sub gain up a little to get the subs to start working. (now I have to get rid of the rattles in the rear deck) Its far from a good BOSE system or other upgraded systems but its decent.

All of the major changes I would make to the G8 can be remedied pretty easily.

Sound: Too quiet. Loved the sound of my GTO. I used to drive through tunnels just to hear the GTOs sound. Thats with a stock exhaust. The G8 is Honda quiet under most conditions. Would love the GTO sound back. Looking at axle back exhausts.

Power: It has good power but it doesn't break the rear tires loose like the GTO did. The shifts are too smooth. Intake it worth 20whp. Tune another 20whp. I will take my time on this. I'm starting a supercharger fund. (will probably never happen)

Interior: seats and doors are great. Top of dash is cheap looking. Radio, HVAC nice looking. Back seat is huge and comfortable but its boring looking back there. Not much you can do here.

Atari gauges: weird but can be swapped out.

What I would like to see:

Stereo Upgrade option

Nav Option

Bluetooth (fixed for late '09)

HUD

Paddle Shifters

More colorful interior

Cooled seats

AWD

Long wheelbase version

HID lights

More power seat adjustment

reclining rear seats

more/better cup holders

auto dimming mirrors (fixable)

electronic folding mirrors

reverse mirror tilt

backup camera

Of course these would make it as expensive as a BMW 550i

What made the deal was the combination of exterior styling, interior comfort and size (like a 7 series bimmer) and performance for 32k. There is nothing like the sound of a small block V8 running to redline. I'm 6'1 and 250lbs. The G8 is a very large comfortable car that can fit 4 large adults. The seats are almost as comfortable as the GTO seats and are a lot more comfortable then the cloth legacy GT I had. It brakes and holds corners like a true sports sedan.

Its a great performance value. It has a German vault like feel. It transitions from a european near luxury sedan into a performance sedan with a stab of the throttle.

Its the most impressive overall car that I have owned.

Oh, and it returned 27mpg on a trip to the beach.

Archived