LegacyGT.com

XT - Bilstein BTS kit as offered in JDM - see link

What is that buzz? Is there a thread here about MR problems?

I've had mine on the car for 15 months and 30,000 miles: I'm very happy with them. No doubt the Bilsteins would be cushier.

Hey VVG-

Not in 1 specific thread, but are you saying that you have not seen any of the comments posted by people running MRs re: "quality" issues, problems with squeaks/rattled which they can't seem to rememdy, problems dialing-in the ride height settings, etc? I seem to recall one member's car even had a front MR coilover let go ;o)

Hope this helps.

Tim

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey VVG-

Not in 1 specific thread, but are you saying that you have not seen any of the comments posted by people running MRs re: "quality" issues, problems with squeaks/rattled which they can't seem to rememdy, problems dialing-in the ride height settings, etc? I seem to recall one member's car even had a front MR coilover let go ;o)

Hope this helps.

Tim

How have yours held up?

I saw that one person had a failure, but didn't have any trouble adjusting mine, and they've been through two summers and a winter with no difficulty. It's really a great handling car with them, and the adjustable ride height is bonus. I'm 100% satisfied: well worth the $$.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I wouldn't worry too much about the unknown. Bilstein is widely regarded as the world's best manufacturer of shock and strut assemblies. In this case it is even better, since the springs are specifically matched to the shocks and struts. The only thing I am concerned with, is that Bilsteins are lifetime warrantied, but will that remain in effect if we grey market them over to the states?

Almost I would rate OHLINS as the absolute best, with BILSTEINs coming in a close 2nd. You will pay 200% over Bilstein pricing for Ohlins equivalents, typically

I'm not even sure Ohlins would have this application ( probably not )

The Bilstein Japan warranty won't extend outside of Japan

Bilsteins have long been standard equipment on higher grades of Subaru Legacy in Japan

Best

GW

JapanpartsLLC

I wouldnt be scared of them. When they work they are great. There is just a few of us that had no problem whatsoever for about a year and now we are having damping cartridge issues. Natoli4 and myself are having the same issue with clunking/bottoming out sound. We should know in the next few weeks what the issue is and we will update.

When they are working I personally think they are great. I am sure that some of us just got some bad dampers, as others seem to have been OK. I mean look on nasioc site, tons of people are running megans on other cars, so these shouldnt be any different.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Monroe is Pep Boys level brand, but I'd bet it would be better than stock Outback junk. I'd bet they are made as a bolt-on replacement so stock springs would be used.

I'd expect the Monroe shocks to be only a slight upgrade from stock.

Actually - IIRC - the Sensa-trac's are what I had Sears put on our Protege a few years back. They actually improved handling in the corners, but were so underdamped on the highway that I came near nausea.

Admittedly, that was 10 years ago, but I'd let someone else be the guinea pig.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

What's the matter with getting them from japanparts?
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Monroe lists the same part numbers for the '04 OB as the '06 OB.

05-07

http://monroe.tenneco.com/catalog/ecatalog.asp

00-04

No thanks.

WRT japanparts BTS: I don't think anyone (not me anyway) is ready to drop $1800+

on a set of springs and shocks. Not when you can buy Bils in this country for <$200/ for other cars, not to mention coilovers at $1000-1200.

Monroe lists the same part numbers for the '04 OB as the '06 OB.

05-07

00-04

No thanks.

WRT japanparts BTS: I don't think anyone (not me anyway) is ready to drop $1800+

on a set of springs and shocks. Not when you can buy Bils in this country for <$200/ for other cars, not to mention coilovers at $1000-1200.[/quote]

Scott;

you've made 2 x postings to this Forum, ( both to this thread ), and one of these is to blast us for offering something no-else has bothered to supply or quote for ( ? )

and your first posting *thanks* us ( ? )

"Hello All - new to here, but I started on the Outback.org site.

I've been reading this and related threads in here and want to thank unclemat and MS and japanparts for finding and digging out the... "

:lol:

Best

GW

Japanparts.com

GW - my apologies if you misinterpreted my comment as a "blast" - it was not.

My point was and is, that $1800. is a *lot* of money for a set of shocks and springs

from a major mfr. who won't offer the same product here in the U.S., and, should

something fail, there's no recourse for repair since they're not supported here. That fact that JPP has offered them w/ a discount is very generous. If someone here *has* purchased and installed them, we'd all love to hear about it and may motivate others to do the same.

I hope this clears up what I said earlier.

Scott

GW - my apologies if you misinterpreted my comment as a "blast" - it was not.

My point was and is, that $1800. is a *lot* of money for a set of shocks and springs

from a major mfr. who won't offer the same product here in the U.S., and, should

something fail, there's no recourse for repair since they're not supported here. That fact that JPP has offered them w/ a discount is very generous. If someone here *has* purchased and installed them, we'd all love to hear about it and may motivate others to do the same.

I hope this clears up what I said earlier.

Scott

Scott,

so would we, always happy to support the Legacy community ( even the cheap-asses who have to visit everywhere twice; the 2nd time to apologise ;)

Best

GW

JapanpartsLLC

Archived