LegacyGT.com

3" downpipe with stock catback

addison

im looking at buying a harmon motive downpipe with a true 3" outlet. it might be 2-4 weeks however before i get a catback. Thus, how well will the downpipe mate to the stock catback? will it leak? do they make an adaptor i could insert that tapers between the two flanges? i would like to avoid paying someone to weld a new flange on the stock system since its only temporary... any thoughts?

^ Will this work on stock DP + 3" CBE?

I'm using the stock donut gasket for now and it seems like it's leaking. :(

It won't work as the adapter simulates the midpipe/cat flange side of the connection from the front of the car towards the back. The adapter makes it possible to reuse the donut gasket. This only goes in between an aftermarket DP and stock CBE.

im looking at buying a harmon motive downpipe with a true 3" outlet. it might be 2-4 weeks however before i get a catback. Thus, how well will the downpipe mate to the stock catback? will it leak? do they make an adaptor i could insert that tapers between the two flanges? i would like to avoid paying someone to weld a new flange on the stock system since its only temporary... any thoughts?

Simple! Don't install the DP until you have the exhaust as well. Save time and $ on NOT having to do the install 2X.

Simple! Don't install the DP until you have the exhaust as well. Save time and $ on NOT having to do the install 2X.

but i want to go stage 2 now! plus i enjoy the extra wrench time even if it is just bolt ons

im already going to have to get the 2.5 flange cut off of the CBE and have a 3" welded on... i just dont want to have to do it to the downpipe as well because then i would have to install the dp twice... plus i dont want to leave the 2.5" section in the middle of a full 3" exhaust even though the difference would be minimal

• 2 weeks later...
If it's a flat flange DP, then take a look at this ---> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280210808193&rd=1

It's an adapter, should be good enought to hold you off until you get an aftermarket mid & y also with a flat flange.

I just ordered one. I hope it works!

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

ya, I just slapped on my DP onto the STI. It fits, but I have a leak somewhere since i have no boost what so ever. :( boy, it makes the car much louder too. Luckily, my custom DP fits on both the STI (uses MT LGT dp) and my 5EAT. :D Good thing my tech was thinking ahead! :lol: Saves me from spending the extra money on it, now just gotta fix the leaks. pretty sure it's the DP to CBE since we don't have a gasket that fits. So that will be tomorrow.

A leak post turbo should have no bearing on a "zero boost" problem.

well, we didn't take anything apart. we rechecked the hoses and everything looks correct and on the car.

• 1 month later...

i just recently purchased a borla CBE and from what I can tell it has a 2.5" inlet, so I'm guessing i need a custom weld on a DP if I buy one, or buy the cobb that tapers to 2.5" at the end? but i've recently heard of the cobb catted DP not passing inspections (I would definitely go catted).

i was looking at the perrin 2 piece DP but have heard bad things about fitment. basically i need to find a 2.5" DP or custom weld?

Archived