LegacyGT.com

Legacy rear struct bar installation

DarkLegacy

I haven't installed the strut bar, but I have installed struts. If it's anything like a front strut bar, here what you do:

1) Remove trunk floor liner (the one that you lift to get to your spare)

2) roll up the liner on either side of the trunk, mostly in the back corner. This exposes the tops of the struts

3) remove the 2 nuts on either side of the strut rod, on each side

4) Place the bar over the studs

5) retorque the nuts (x4)

That should be it.... make sure the car can't move while the struts are not secured to the body of the vehicle.

I am not responsible for any damage you may do following this procedure. :)

Thats exactly what I needed to know. I put a strut bar on the front and I was a little nervous about ripping out the liner in the trunk compartment because I didnt know if you could get to the top of the struts that way, and I didnt want to damage it for nothing. I will just have to be extra careful.

Thanks for the reply!!!!

Thanks for the great info... I installed my rear strut bar this afternoon and it looks great. My car feels a little tighter too but that could just be b/c I was excited about getting it in.... we will see. Next up are the sway bars....

Any recomendations?

• 1 month later...

I had to put 2 slits on the carpert liner to make it fit.

Good thing about this bar is that it is low and does not hinder with any of the big luggage that goes in the trunk to your back seat!

It does look good, but I don't know about handling wise since I realy haven't tested out on the twistes.

Fronts definitely gives you firmer feel.

why save my money? Does not do anything?

Well if you like it keep it for the bling. But, It is very hard to believe that they will do anything. It is basicly physycally and geometricly impossible for it to take any lateral load given the rear suspension design.

The only load the rear shock/spring combo encounters on its mounts are vertical loads.

The rear suspension is not a strut design and thus the spring/shock assembly encounters ZERO horizontal load.

The legacy rear suspension is a multilink and the horizontal loads are 100% handled by the lateral links in the subframe assembly. The shock mounts in the rear can move about all they want and it will have no effect on the geometry of the rear suspension.

If anything it will only be a trunk floor stiffener upper...

Archived