LegacyGT.com

Avoiding illegal tints

BombHood

I have unfortunately learned that you most allow at least 70% of light in New York State. I see cars with NY plates driving around that are totally illegal... how do you pull that off?? What are the consequences of illegal tints besides losing the manufacturers warantee... will I not pass inspection?

you lose warranty with tints??

just don't drive like an a$$hat, or be shady and keep your windows up when pulled over... there are lots of ways to easily avoid a ticket for tints... just be polite, roll down your windows, toss on all interior lights, etc etc

but really, if an officer is having a bad day, you can kiss his ass and still get a ticket.

brian

in NYS you wouldn't be able to do any tint on your car because as it comes from Subaru it has about 20 something tint. That said, I have 35% all around and haven't had an issue. You may fail inspection but unlikely. You have to weigh how hard the police bust balls in your locale with tint. I think a tint ticket is $60 and is no points or any report to insurance. Pay it and keep them.

OP: Anything is possible. Its best to stay within the legal limits.

I had 20% all around on a SWP sedan and got 3 tickets in one year. Not advisable.

In VA, I have been told that after a certain number of tint tickets, the the DMV can restrict your license until you get it fixed. Thats just hearsay, but still.

I am thinking about tints as well. As others mentioned about you might want to find a happy medium. I would go with 35% to 50% tints.

I see plenty of cars that have light to dark tints but if it's a mini van or a Camry the cops don't hassle you. However, if drive like a clown with 8K HIDs, catless exhaust(w/fart can) and 5% all around in NYC (ala Ricer) you might have a problem.

If you drive under the radar you shouldn't have a problem, especially in a Legacy.

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Do remembe rthat having tint makes you more likely to be pulled over, less likely to get a warning for speed, etc (cops hate tint), and if you get a speed with a tint ticket it reduces the likelyhood of being offered a good deal on the ticket.

I don't tint for these reasons, it's just not worth it.

+1.

On a "normal" looking lightly modded SUV or truck, driving again "normally" I've never had nor have I ever known anyone to get pulled over let alone a ticket with 20% or even 15% on the fronts strictly for tint.

Look/act/drive like a tool, and you'll get pounded with multiple summonses including tint - guaranteed.

On a sedan/coupe, it's questionable. I've had 20% on other cars and never gotten pulled over for years. Then again, in my teens and early twenties, the opposite was true :lol: Again, refer to the driving like a tool comment or having your car modded (read: rice or highly noticeable/stand-out-ish) or a combo of both and you're gonna get hit.

This is my personal experience of 21 years of driving in NYC.

Todayt, my LGT has 35% all around and I never have a problem. It's legal obviously.

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

if your in new york city and get pulled over for tints, i'm sorry, but you're a complete moron and were doing something incredibly stupid. new york state, however, is much different.

it's really up to you if you want tints; you can't have your cake and eat it too, but you can sneak finger-fulls of frosting when nobody is looking.

brian

Be careful getting 35% tint -- if you go with that, you're going to end up with something more like 25% effective. If you want to stay legal in most states (35%) you want to have 45% tint applied. The tint shop that did mine was actually kind enough to point it out to me, and do it right so that I stayed legal here.

Cops don't like tinted windows especially the front because they can't see what you are doing as they approach you.

This is why the SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) when you get pulled over by a cop is to roll down your windows, turn on interior lights (at night), take the key out of the ignition and place it on top of the dash, and keep your hands visible.

I also have 35% all around and had no problems yet...*Knock on Wood*

If I were to drive with the windows up, I try to have the sunroof inner section open to let the light come in a little more.

Obviously, if you have the windows shut, AC is porbably on so the sun coming down on you from the roof is not gonna be too much of a burden.

If you have one cop on a really bad mood, that is all it takes for them to issue the tickets.

Just don't drive like an A**Hole and you can usually get away.

I had tints on my civic back then for about 6 years and never gotten any tickets on that also.

They don't test tint during state inspections here in VA. So I can't speak for New York.

I lived there for 7 years awhile ago and don't recall them testing for tint then though.

As everyone has stated, Drive smartly. Always put down all windows when pulled over. I'm very well past the legal limit. But, Have never had a problem...yet.

I work on a military base and have to pass the gate guards every day. Plenty of people I know have been denied access because of tint. I've even heard stories of them stripping the tint off then and there. Or at least scraping your DOD sticker.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj305/Mitch_9_23_60/DSC00392.jpg

Oh, And it helps to drive a wagon.;)

If I'm going faster than you, Move Right.

Guest heightsgtltd
+1.

Todayt, my LGT has 35% all around and I never have a problem. It's legal obviously.

Actually it's not, that means only 35% light gets through, vs. the 70% light that is the law

Well That's how/why my tint is considered legal from the back windows to the back. The fronts are still supposed to be within the legal limits though. YMMV depending on your state laws.

I have 5% (limo...yeah) all the way around...thinking of putting 20 on front though because it is dark at night. I have yet to have one problem in a year and a half in two different states. If I see a cop will be with me at an intersection I do roll down my window/s. I have even been pulled over twice for speeding (only one speeding ticket though) and nothing....hope I never roll them snake eyes : )

^ 5% :eek:

Thats super dark. You must have a hard time seeing at night.

It's really not that bad. it took a little getting used to is all. And it looks good on OBP.

Archived