LegacyGT.com

engine rebuild please help!!!

i have a 2005 lgt that i need to have the engine rebuilt need a good source in michigan around the detroit area and also some advice as to waht should be in the build this is my eveeryday driver so i just want around 330-350 horse got 305 as is right now

turns out i blew my endtank on my intercooler which is stock by the way so ordering a perrin topmount and an avo 380 turbo but they said it was likely do to a lean missfire? so he just wants to put the intercooler on and run it and try and figure out why it missfired before putting the new turbo on but the avo 380 is a good choice i thinki ive read u dont need to replace the fuel pump and injecters is that true cuz thats why i chose it

:eek: "You blew the stock intercooler?!??!? OMG! You need an engine rebuild!" :lol:

Whoever you're talking to sounds like a dangerous person to be taking advice from. When you get an aftermarket turbo you get it tuned to prevent lean fuel mixtures, etc. If they don't understand that then just say "KTHXBYE."

Oh, and your intercooler failure did not cause a lean mixture, nor vice versa :)

You'll want to upgrade injectors and pump to take advantage of the new turbo.

What happened to your motor? Who is rebuilding it? Per RAO a new sti shortblock can't be beat unless you are willing to spend some serious jack. The Cosworth shortblock is $5400 I think. Get some forged drop in Cosworth pistons though for your new stock shortblock.

Get some forged drop in Cosworth pistons though for your new stock shortblock.

I was always curious, but never found the answer:

How badly to some aftermarket forged pistons slap (after a cold start, say -35) until they get warm?

Any driveability concerns with them?

I was always curious, but never found the answer:

How badly to some aftermarket forged pistons slap (after a cold start, say -35) until they get warm?

Any driveability concerns with them?

I don't know. My post wasn't meant to indicate I have them. My only experience is from a mopar. It slapped like crazy!

As Rao said - this isn't going to end well. *ahem*

The stock fuel pump and injectors are sufficient for the stock setup. If you upgrade, take the advice of those who have also gone the bigger turbo route. You will want larger injectors and a fuel pump with more capacity.

I don't understand how you blew your motor simply by having the an intercooler end tank let go. It sounds to me as though someone is blowing smoke up your backside. I'd go get a 2nd or 3rd opinion and see of those opinions vary from your initial source of information.

An OEM shorblock is more than sufficient for your 350 hp desire, unless you dropping a bunch of $$ into a motor isn't an issue for you. Are you talking 350 wheel HP or crank HP?

I've got a 2005 LGT 5speed and recently made just under 400 whp on E85 with my 100% stock longblock. It's currently dialed into 347 whp / 357 torque and runs like a champ.

sorry to get u guys cornfused he did not say i blew my motor he said i had a lean misfire and that created back pressure and blew my intercooler endtank i was only saying should i get a rebuild cuz i did not know what the rated horse power for the oem block is so just to make me feel better when i am beating on it that it can take the abuse. anyway i am replacing the stock cooler with the perrin topmount was gonna go with the front mount but i hate lag. now he said after they install the new cooler they r gonna run it to try and find out why it missfired before they install the avo380 and i guess a bigger fuel pump and injecters if thats what u guys think i need with this turbo. and u can check out my mods already on the car if i knew how to find the post

ohand what kind of break in does this involve and do i get it protuned after the break in or before and can i run cobb stage 2 before the protune? thats what i ran before all of this and before i had a protune but i accidently erased from my port!!!!!!!!!!! i could have shot my self right there on the spot if i had a gun!

Archived