LegacyGT.com

Invidia Downpipe Rattle...

Shifty93

I decided to put my downpipe on today and try out Stage2... I've had everything for a while, but I was being lazy about putting them on... Here's the deal, I'm having a light tapping nosie through the downpipe, but only when I'm completely off the throttle and it makes noise sometimes at idle... It's not a motor tap or anything, it actually sounds like something is inside the pipe rattling, but I've done everything short of pulling it back off which I'll be doing in the next few hours...lol... Any ideas???

I saw the other thread but this sounds a bit different from his problems, but I am overboosting too...lol... I put the car on Economy and my over boost problems are gone but the car is piss slow... I've tried switching my OTS maps, but my AP is saying 18lbs within a few seconds of me flooring it... I only have an AVO drop in filter, the catless downpipe, and an AP with OTS tunes... Should I try messing with the pill size???

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, I hit the center divider lightly with a grinder, and now it's good to go...

Now, the important question... Anybody know where I can get a stock restrictor pill???

shifty glad to see it worked out for ya. It sucks when i found out what the hell was causing.

And for restrictor pill you might be able to mike at tuning alliance, he either might have one or will probably guide you to the right place for one.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

I've had that exact same sound for the last 6 months and it's been driving me absolutely nuts. A light rattle at cold idle and a light rattle while decelerating. I've had the exhaust off several times and re-tightened everything, cut back the heat shields all to no avail.

Now I guess I have a project this weekend to grind down the centre divider on my DP. Hopefully this works!

excellent. The other rattle i was having was under the body of the car you should check your heat shields that are under your tranny they could be rubbing on a one of the exhaust pipes.

R.I.P Coxx

I'm having the same problem (as korpsepatrol already knows) and I'm going to get in touch with Invidia about this. I'll probably be fixing it either tomorrow or Wednesday, but I'm still going to talk to them about it because this is kind of a big deal as far as QA is concerned.

Hell if you can manage to get us new dp's i am ALLL for it. Let me know i think there are like atleast 5 others that have pm'ed me about this. Especially considering i want to install this vf39 that is sitting in my living room.

R.I.P Coxx

I did not remove mine. When I do a visual check with the car on ramps and the engine off, everything looks fine and clearance doesn't seem to be an issue, but who knows under load.

Has anyone else removed their exhaust heat shields? I might give this a try.

did you take your exhaust heat shields off when you installed your DP?

As far as the head shields go, i have a cobb heat shield and it has never caused a rattle just put on all the 4 bolts and you should be A ok as far as that goes.

lazy dog that is not the rattle we are talking about just look at my old invidia dp problem thread it explains the issue.

R.I.P Coxx

• 2 weeks later...

Just how far do you have to grind down that splitter? I just finished installing my turboback that included an invidia high flow cat with divorced wastegate and I get the exact same sound you had.

But the question is, how much and how far do you grind off?

Do you grind the top part towards the hood? Or the bottom towards the ground, or the front? Or the entire thing?

Please let me know, I just finished a very expensive upgrade install and now the sound kinda makes the car sound ghetto with the rattle... I'd like to fix it ASAP.

thanks!

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1833445&postcount=18

That picture shows the best description. Thats how i did it the first time and its about a half an inch but then i re did it to smooth it out and made it a very sharp edge in order to not cause any turbulence(prob not important but i wanted it too look nice).

R.I.P Coxx

I'd like to vouch that simpy getting a dremel tool and a metal grinding wheel for the dremel (I went through 2 1" wheels) fixed the problem. Cut a half -football shape ( into the I beam part of the divorced wall, starting about 1/2" from the top to 1/2" from the bottom... make sure it's atleast 1/4" deep, and the sides aren't burred...

WORKED LIKE A CHARM. bonus: it solved the overboost problems I had.

A+ korpsepatrol for the pictures.

It looks like the gouge you have to take out of the splitter would allow some spillage into the turbo outlet. Doesn't this impact the advantage of having a DWG or is the turbulence that this creates really that negligible?
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

It looks like the gouge you have to take out of the splitter would allow some spillage into the turbo outlet. Doesn't this impact the advantage of having a DWG or is the turbulence that this creates really that negligible?

The turbulence might not even matter but just for peace of mind i made it nice and smooth. After having logged and tuned a bit though, it seems like the dp does do its job in efficiently since my tuner said it was causing extra boost(not over boost). It sucks that such a great looking piece had a defect like that and I had to be the first to find it since it made me freak out for about a few weeks.

R.I.P Coxx

The turbulence might not even matter but just for peace of mind i made it nice and smooth. After having logged and tuned a bit though, it seems like the dp does do its job in efficiently since my tuner said it was causing extra boost(not over boost). It sucks that such a great looking piece had a defect like that and I had to be the first to find it since it made me freak out for about a few weeks.

I was thinking of the turbulence of the escaping WG gases into the turbo outlet stream due to the gap (where you gouged it to clearance the WG) between the face of the turbo and the end of the DWG splitter. Was the splitter a tight/snug fit against the turbo outlet face or not before the gouging?

So other than the WG issues with the Invidia DWG splitter, you're still not happy with the Invidia DP because it's causing "extra boost" ?? How much extra boost are you seeing and can this be tuned for?

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived