LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT Top Speed

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never driven past 100mph but have been a passenger at 140+. I was in a 300zx TT. My cousin (now a state trooper) was the driver.

100 mph comes up quite fast. Almost accidently :D

The car seems quite stable up to 120mph, anyway. 120mph comes up quite fast too.

I wouldn't suggest anyone do this, of course.

tom

tom :)

That's Mr. Genuis to you, Master Jedi. And I was only doing 140 mph, not 150.

I can assure you that the Legacy is not aerodynamically limited. It is gearing limited. Meaning its not even horsepower limited. The Legacy will pull itself all the way to the rev-limiter in 5th gear on a flat run. Based on my "experiment" at 140 with about 1,500 rpms left on the tach, I would wager that the LGT can hit 155-160 mph before the engine runs out of gear. If it had a true OD (6th) gear it could probably pull farther up to about an aero/engine limit of maybe 175 mph. Just my opinion.

Anyone have a link to that thread?

I've done 140 in a carrera and it felt solid... actually more solid then it felt at 100. I'm pretty sure it's due to the aerodynamics of the body... but who knows... just felt more squated to the road and less bouncy the faster you went...

I don't really like doing much more than 100 though... of course in CT if you drive under 70 you're asking for problems... people drive like maniacs around here... I'm one of them but I like to keep safe distances between me and other cars... doesn't seem to be the case for the majority of NY/CT/MA fast drivers... they seem to think drafting is an acceptable technique on a public highway.

I thought in montana or some other plain state that you could drive as fast as you wanted after dark?

http://www.motorists.com/pressreleases/montana.html

Cross that... It's apparently only during the day.

As far as the autobahn rules ever appliing to the majority of america... I HOPE that won't happen until they DRASTICALLY reform the licensing process in the U.S....

I know SOO many people who failed their driver test more than once and ended up getting a license...

now that wouldn't be that bad if it was like the german/foriegn tests which have upwards of 100 questions with a 10% margin of error...

In Ct you get 16 questions, of which you can get 4 wrong and still pass!

Then you drive for anywhere from 5-20 mins. doing various maneuvers and tada... you have a license...

From what I've been told by family friends and family (in norway) the european tests are REDICULOUSLY hard... they envolve TONS of questions some of which apply to driving, others which apply to knowledge of cars. then the driving test is also SUPER long and envolved...

In norway if I remember correctly they can make you open up the hood and identify the major servicable components of the engine IE. Fluid containers, spark plugs/wires etc. AND they can make you change a tire... from what I remember there is also both a daytime and a nightime portion of the driving test... In norway there is also a ice/snow safety course you have to take.

Germany has something like a 25-45% failure rate. Americans who move over to europe after having drivin for YEARS in the U.S. very often fail.

AND on top of it all... the autobahn specifically IS NOT speed limit free in all areas... From what I remember the majority of sections of it near any cities have limits... and even the parts that don't hardly anyone drives rediculously fast...

The girl who stayed with us, her father had a BMW 750, and he said he had never been over 130... KM/HR. He might just be light footed... but he said it was pretty rare to see a car tearing down the AB.

I've driven the car all out! How could I resist, it kept saying go faster!

Anyway I hit an indicated 138mph, I noticed the the limiter kicked on at 136mph and accleration fell off not like hitting the rev limiter, then creeped up to 138mph where it stayed. Drove a few miles that way and backed off and coasted down to a more polite speed.

I had my WRX up to 137mph but it felt like it hit a wall at 125mph. The Legacy was still strong till it hit 136 which is the limiter speed. I think unlimited 150ish would be possible. Car Test says with the areodynamics and frontal area + gearing and power 153 mph should be the therortical max. You would not be redlined at 153 mph in the LGT you'd be at 5900rpm. It would take more then 250hp to be gear limited. AP Stage 1 93 290/305 says top speed unlimited would be 160 mph @ 6150rpm's. Guess you'd need about 350hp to be gear limited..

Something to be said for German driver education...

It would be nice if the tests where actually tests, not a reading exam.

If they stiffend it up, no politician would get re-elected though (not that it would be a bad thing though). To many people would b|tch about loosing their *rights*.

REAL car safety inspections, proper law enforcement, etc. would be nice too. Not gonna happen though. (pet peeve - SUVs and Trucks driving with fog lights on. Blinding and illegal....)

The girl who stayed with us, her father had a BMW 750, and he said he had never been over 130... KM/HR. He might just be light footed... but he said it was pretty rare to see a car tearing down the AB.

When gas is about $5 per gallon, you'd drive conservatively too! :lol:

Germany has something like a 25-45% failure rate. Americans who move over to europe after having drivin for YEARS in the U.S. very often fail.

AND on top of it all... the autobahn specifically IS NOT speed limit free in all areas... From what I remember the majority of sections of it near any cities have limits... and even the parts that don't hardly anyone drives rediculously fast...

Don't know about the failure rate but really most of the people finally get the license (after the 3rd try ...). To get the license is not that easy. There is the test in theory that is quite tricky - if you have more than 10 points due to wrong answers, you can try again. And some questions give 4 points! Then there are the minimum hours that you have to do at the driving school (12 years ago the minimum was 18 hours, but I think now it is more). This hours also include driving in special conditions, like on the autobahn, during night, in the city traffic. If your teacher has the feeling you are still not good enough, he can make you more training hours before you are allowed to do the real life test. In this test a certified examiner (from TUEV for example) observe your driving skills. And this examiner will also look for small things that make you pass the test (checking out the mirrors frequently and so on).

The autobahn is always not speed limited if there is no speed limit :D. But unfortunely it is true that a good part of the german autobahn is speed limited. But the limits are there for some reasons (bad road conditions, noise reduction if near to the city). Let me say, if I drive 300 km anywhere in Germany, I have the chance that I can drive 80 - 90% on the autobahn and 50% with unlimited speed.

This man with the BMW 750 not seeing a fast car on the autobahn seems to blind for things that move faster than 150 km/h :confused:;). Maybe he lives in the near of a big city? Then that would make sense. I have to drive a lot for my company and I can tell from experience that I am not the only one who likes to drive "quick". A lot of the time there are others that follow me or are ahead of me with a speed of at least 180 km/h. Only if the traffic allows it - sometimes it is impossible to drive more than 130 km/h due to heavy traffic.

• 1 year later...

IF you are driving over the recomended 130 km/h limit on the "un restricted" stretches of the motorway in Germany, then you are 100% responsible if an accident occurs and your insurance may not cover damges.

Also, unlike French or Italians, Germans will pull out in front of you in the left lane without looking in the mirror or caring how fast you are going. I drive at least 5000 miles a year all over Europe, and by far, Germans have the least respect for the left lane. They do not pass on the right though, which is good. They just do not respect the passing lane like they used to. French and Italian drivers get the hell out of the way in their countries or while driving through Germany.

Do not even get me started about the Dutch in their 1.6 liter Kia's towing campers uphill in the left lane holding you up in Germany on their way to Italy!

And I do agree, drivers in the USA do not take driving serious enough to drive over 80 miles per hour. A 100 mph or higher speed limit would lead to serious carnage!!!!!!

Archived