LegacyGT.com

09 GT (MOD) or 09 SPEC B

ProHobo

I LOVE the alcantara inserts in my car. When it's really hot, there's no burning leather to worry about on your legs, and the leather trimming of the seat still makes it look fantastic. Plus no sliding around. Basically it is the best of both worlds of cloth and leather. Also, I like the blue color scheme, thats just a personal preference though.

I guess I will have to really sit in them and feel them, before being judgemental. I just never liked cloth seats.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's say you are going to spend $32k.

Do you buy a 09 GT and (add rims, springs, COBB AP, exhaust, sway bar)

or

Do you buy a 09 Spec B

Option 3:

Wait to see what the 2010 model will be and buy it.

Option 4:

Wait to see what the 2010 model will be. Hate it, and pick up a 2009 GT at an end of year discount price and mod it.

I would prefer all leather too. I liked the perforated leather in the 07 GT I had prior to the 08 Spec b.

The problem with the leather is you slide around a lot easier. The alcantra inserts are meant to keep you in place while you're whipping around in the car. I do like the memory seat in the Spec B. though. http://www.alcantara.com/en_US/

I don't have any experience with VDC previous to Subaru, but so far my opinion is you can push the car pretty hard with it even in rain without worrying too much.

Aside from the nav, upgraded suspension and 6spd you get a beefier rear diff with a lsd. With all that and the wheels/tires being better, I think it makes sense to get the spec b. as you can't add all that to a GT on your own for the same price.

If you're paying cash though and don't need all those options, you can get a GT with 5spd and then make it faster with stage 2 for less money than you'll spend on the spec b.

Thanks for the alcantra link. That was helpful! It seems it is just cloth (evne thought it is special) - it needs to be cared for like cloth.

I hear what you are saying about sliding around in leather seats - but since the car is NOT going to be used at the track (the very occasional auto-cross) I think the leather will suffice.

I have (or I should say my wife) has a 05 Forester XT (black leather). We also have a 4 year old. The leather holds up VERY well to all conditions, compared to my WRX cloth seats (They are not Alentara - but cloth nonetheless). Little leather cleaner and they are all done.

I know it is silly - but after seeing the Foster XT leather seats hold up well (under all kinds of conditions - including 4 year old spilling yogurt) - vs. my WRX seats - still very clean and nice - but they do get spotty (even with a little water). I think the leather seats are a deal breaker for me.

Maybe in a different life or time - I could live with cloth. However - the leather has proven itself and so far the cloth has not (for our applications anyway).

Silly - I know....

To bad the Spec B doesn't have the full-leather option!

Option 3:

Wait to see what the 2010 model will be and buy it.

Option 4:

Wait to see what the 2010 model will be. Hate it, and pick up a 2009 GT at an end of year discount price and mod it.

I would like to get my 04 swapped out now and not wait.

I have this personal price, value, cash thing - I hate losing value.

Cars are the worse thing in the world (when dealing with money). It's a love it / hate it feeling (for me).

I hate driving a new car off the lot (I am probably a rare bird) - but I just feel that I just had 20% of that money sucked out as I drive away. Cars don't hold value.

I am in the rotation cash cycle. My formula is about trade-in (or sales value) vs. cash difference. I like a return about 4 years (MAX) on a car at $5k max per year on my dollar. My aim is really about $3k per year at 4 years.

I am looking to trade in my 04 WRX at $13k (low) and (after all is said and done) on the GT (with NO options) walk out $14-$15k out of pocket. That is a $3750 per year cost - before the next trade in.

I expense $5k per year for my car budget (on a new car). So I have some wiggle room (for mods and stuff).

I am a little crazy when it comes to money and budgets. I don't like debt and not in debt and don't plan on getting into debt. I pay what I can afford, without borrowing. I use credit cards (for miles) but pay them off each month. I might by the car on my credit card (to get the miles) and then pay it off the next day.

Just trying to squeak out my little budget and edge every year.

Economy sucks, dollar sucks, oil going up. I am playing tighter than ever now.

Ok - you can say it - others do - I am crazy.

I might by the car on my credit card (to get the miles) and then pay it off the next day.

If you do that, charge it to a Subaru Master Card and get 3% back in Subie Bucks to spend on parts. I think TheKingofParts still takes Subie bucks for aftermarket parts.

$15000 = $450 in goodies

If you do that, charge it to a Subaru Master Card and get 3% back in Subie Bucks to spend on parts. I think TheKingofParts still takes Subie bucks for aftermarket parts.

$15000 = $450 in goodies

That is a very good idea. I don't have a subie card - but I should get one.

I use my millage card all the time.

My wife and I flew to Costa Rica, Cayman, San Francisco, and Europe - all for free.

I used to put EVERYTHING on the card, including rent (when living in San Francisco). I was building up an a$$ ton of miles. They keep wanting to up my limit, but I say NO. Because I know how much I can put on and pay off at the end of the month. (I do NOT need temptation!).

The credit card company looses money buying their miles on my account. I know that 90% of the people don't use them. But I saw it as a op for free flights. Now with gas and airline flights going up in price - it is even a better deal.

But the Subie bucks sould great too.

I am always looking for buying power or edge. Thanks for the tip!

Don't do that . . .use the float . . . $15000 in HSBC at 3.5% for 3 weeks is $30!

That would be good if CPI was below 3.5%, however the CPI is above 4%.

And since I think the CPI is NOT EVEN CLOSE to being correct (since all the changes since 1990) - that being said based on pre-1990 levels it's more like 9%.

Well - any interest you get below 9% is not worth it, anything below 4% (CPI numbers) in my book seriously blows.

I am not making $30 in 3 weeks - I am loosing $5 (not to mention any nickle-dime fees that HSBC charges).

Buying any long/short term treasuries currently is tossing money into the toliet. It's not the face value of the money - it's the buying power.

Sorry - to get carried away (I am in finance and run a small private equity firm and write a paper on this stuff.) my essay on the CPI (if you can work your way through it) = http://marketpreview.blogspot.com/2008/01/governments-modest-proposal.html

^I may be uninformed, but I have heard horror stories about trying to redeem airline miles as of late. When is the last time you have flown using mileage plus? The increase in fuel costs has airlines putting their tails between their legs.

^I may be uninformed, but I have heard horror stories about trying to redeem airline miles as of late. When is the last time you have flown using mileage plus? The increase in fuel costs has airlines putting their tails between their legs.

I have not heard any stories. We went to Costa Rica in Feb. and my wife just flew to SF a few weeks ago using our air mileage.

I am not sure what horror stories you are refering too?

I flew on miles from Spokane to Austin last weekend without issue.

That said, a lot of CC companies are changing their policies to a dollar amount towards a flight. Like $300 towards a flight of your choice, instead of just a round trip ticket. Obviously that works to their advantage since flights are expensive now.

Go Cardinals!

subaru was offering 0% interest on legacys recently don't know if they still are. BTW always been an all leather guy but I really like the black on black inserts in the 08; very comfortable and cooler (temp wise) than all leather.

Hilarious text on that (otherwise useful) site..

For those who love a sporting guide choosing BMW Series 3, the car that combines strength and elegance, grim and excellence, is a must. To highlight this binomial, the new seats are available in Alcantara® and Frau® leather in after work. Softness, practicality and accuracy, that's the essence of Alcantara® covering, available in beige and black colours, to be placed in parts of the sitting and back of the front and back seats.

Perspiring, antistatic, anchoring and again resistant, functional, soft, elegant and comfortable, these are the exceptional qualities of Alcantara® and Frau® leather. Seats are ratified to guarantee the perfect functionality of the security systems on board. BMW always keeps the highest standards in quality, security and image: that's why BMW chose Alcantara® and Poltrona Frau® as partners for concept and implementation of its car interiors.

Originally, I thought spec.b because you're reselling every few years and the spec.B will hold the value a little better than a GT with mods. But after reading all of this, you've gotta go with the GT. Whatever little extra value the spec.B will hold is nothing compared to the upfront cost, and your rear seat will probably receive more yogurt spills until your kid has his/her own car (hell, I STILL spill stuff in my car)

Well - I have a DG GT 09 on order (no deposit). I am going to check it out as soon as it gets in (maybe today).

For me - one of the big downsides of the Spec B. are those inserts in the seat. I haven't sat in one (just look through the window at a 08 a few months back) and it looks like cloth or velore. Not something I am too keen on. I know it sounds stupid - but I would rather have a FULL LEATHER seat instead of some cloth insert.

The NAV is nice, so is the 6 speed and suspension. As someone said (maybe a different thread) that should already be standard on the GT (which seems what Canada is doing now - no more GTs).

However - I think the tires and wheels blow - I would change them out (regardless of Spec B or GT) - we can all debate about the look of the wheels. But the tires (by anyone's standard) are really not that great for summer performance. (well on the GT anyway they blow - the Spec B is better - but not what they probably should be).

I am not looking for 400 whp, rather just a very solid performance car (what the word GT should mean - not just leather seats and a turbo). That would mean for me - sway bar, springs/struts, wheels/tires, and t-back exhaust with AP.

My expected upgrades would be limited to:

GT = sway bar, springs/struts, wheels/tires, and t-back exhaust with AP.

Spec B (for starters) = wheels/tires, AP

I guess it comes down to the NAV, VDC, Suspension.

The downside (those stupid inserts in the seat - I haven't sat in them - but from looking - not a fan).

Any thoughts about VDC?

(note: This is going to be a WRX 04 trade-in and Cash, no financiing)

I own a 2007 spec.B, so I'm a little biased, but living in Florida, you've really got to choose the Alcantara. It was 92 here in Oregon today, and I just sat right down on it while my friend with a BMW 335i all black leather interior was trying to fan his seat to cool it down. He ended up putting a towel on it, and he still yelped when he sat down. Black leather will give you burns in places you don't want burns. And that's in winter, in Florida. Alcantara stays cool in the sun. I just wish we had seat coolers to match the seat heaters.:lol:

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

I own a 2007 spec.B, so I'm a little biased, but living in Florida, you've really got to choose the Alcantara. It was 92 here in Oregon today, and I just sat right down on it while my friend with a BMW 335i all black leather interior was trying to fan his seat to cool it down. He ended up putting a towel on it, and he still yelped when he sat down. Black leather will give you burns in places you don't want burns. And that's in winter, in Florida. Alcantara stays cool in the sun. I just wish we had seat coolers to match the seat heaters.:lol:

Tint your windows, problem solved. I live in Austin and not once, has the black leather bothered me.

Go Cardinals!

white with black interior would make my decision...oh and the 6 speed would be nice...besides aren't they a lot faster now a days? ;)

White with black leather made my decision, and I didnt have to wait until 2009. Regrettably, I dont have that extra spec B power though.

Go Cardinals!

Tint your windows, problem solved. I live in Austin and not once, has the black leather bothered me.

OK, riiiight. So you guys can run a 10% tint on you windshield down there, then?:rolleyes:

Torsen LSD > GT Viscous LSD

6 Speed STi Trans is better

Navi & special seats

Those items worth quite a bit

Does the 6 speed shift smoother than the 5? That is the one thing I don't like about the 5MT.

LSD's wear out and need replacement anyway, so I'll upgrade to Torsen then. I may drop an LSD in the front at some point too. Subaru's navigation system doesn't impress me.

OK, riiiight. So you guys can run a 10% tint on you windshield down there, then?:rolleyes:

Feel free to fly down and sit in my car after its been baking all day and I will prove it to you. I dont know what reason you think I have to lie about this.

The leather doesnt get hot now (warm yes, hot no), the tint helps a lot with that. Thats not to say the dash doesn't get hot, but you can definitely sit in the seats and not scream like the last person claimed.

Then again, what do I know, I only live in TX and drive my car everyday. :rolleyes:

Go Cardinals!

Good riddance! We have good AWD systems, which is all you want. VDC will just slow you down if you ever track it, and I imagine it won't provide much benefit on the road.

I haven't tracked my spec.B yet, but pushing the car hard on back roads in the twisties, I have always appreciated VDC. It is not overbearing, like most stability systems. Rather, it works with you. On a series of S curves in the rain, it helps you track and avoid understeer. I've run the same set of curves in slick conditions with VDC on and off, and there's a big difference. With VDC off, if you come into the first curve with too much speed, you get that gut-wrenching understeer-oversteer oscillation that sometimes give Subies a bad name. With VDC on, you get pure, progressive, predictable oversteer. There's some tendency to snap-back to straight when you make your line, but a little throttle application at the right time overcomes it. I can't imaginethat VDC would ever slow you down on the track, but if it did, you can turn it completely off (unlike many stability systems).

I was a real skeptic about it, but now I'm a convert. As someone pointed out to me, you can be a really good driver, but how good are you at applying the brakes ONLY to the right front and left rear wheels?

The 6-speed is very smooth. There are folks on the board who have gone from an S2000, known for the quality of it's transmission, who feel they haven't lost a step. It has longer throws than the S2000 shifter or an M3, for instance, but it's just as smooth. Plus, if you want shorter throws, get a STS kit. They're inexpensive and easy to install.

Archived