LegacyGT.com

Falkens Azenis 615 vs Ziex ZE-912

mfg

Which ones of these tires perform better in a Dry and Wet situation? I know the 912 is cheaper but i'm leaning toward the 615 even though it's pricer? I need your input on both of these tires. Thanks

Totally different tires. The 615 is a summer and will give you mucho grip on warm days. It seems to do ok in the rain, as long as the tempature is still warm. I see you are in Canada, so watch out when it get's near or below freezing with the 615, those tires will turn into rocks and will be quite dangerous.

The 912 is an all season and will not be nearly as grippy as the 615, but will be fine in cold and or rainy conditions.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

yes I have.. the 615 is superior in terms of grip when the the temps are above freezing.

You would need 2"+ of standing water to make the zeix appealing. I dont think you get that much rain.

Just drive slower in the rain, you'll be fine with the 615s. Dont even bother looking at All-season tires if you are looking for a tire you plan on using during the summer. Just rule of thumb.

Keefe

I really like my 615's with the exception of the noise! Right now I'm worried that a wheel bearing will go bad and I can't hear it. Or maybe I already have bad bearing and don't know it....

I really like my 615's with the exception of the noise! Right now I'm worried that a wheel bearing will go bad and I can't hear it. Or maybe I already have bad bearing and don't know it....

Are the 615s really that loud.

I was gonna get them next.

On the positive side, they do have fantastic dry grip, but obviously at the expense of high wear rate.

Exactly! I went with these last April per Keefe's recommendation. I love them and they gripped unbelievably, BUT they wore faster than I thought. The tread is down to the point where I start hydroplaning at 40mph after the skies open up. This is only with about 10k miles on them. Never tracked and about a 1/4 of those miles are highway miles. Now I'm looking for some replacement summer tires with slightly slower wear.

I've run both. Just to echo what's been said here, if you are looking for a summer-only performance tire, get the st-615. If you want all season with decent all around performance (but not great by any means) get the zeix 912.

I like my 912s. I love sticky tires as much as the next person but the 615s wear so fast especially under common spirited driving.if the sidewalls are as stiff as re070s expect a bumpier ride too.

i just got the 452's and i love them. Not noisy at all and the grip is awesome. I have heard of a lot of people with lowered LGT's and 8" or wider tires rubbing with the 615's. That and they dont have the longest of tread life either. Again, thats what i have heard from people so i went with the 452's and love them.

-Brian

Totally different tires. The 615 is a summer and will give you mucho grip on warm days. It seems to do ok in the rain, as long as the tempature is still warm. I see you are in Canada, so watch out when it get's near or below freezing with the 615, those tires will turn into rocks and will be quite dangerous.

The 912 is an all season and will not be nearly as grippy as the 615, but will be fine in cold and or rainy conditions.

I have the 912's and they have been superb....in everything but ice/cold conditions

• 2 weeks later...

The 615s are dirt cheap! I guess they are expensive on the el-cheapo subaru owner scale.

I went from stock tires to 235-40-17 EVO take off Yokohama tires and they were an amazing upgrade. I just was debating between the Falken 615s and the REO1Rs and went with the 615s cause they were much cheaper and if I don't like em, I'll get the RE01Rs next time around. These are used for street and track use.

-mike

615s are decent tires and much much better than the 912s in anything that's not winter.

However, Dunlop Durezza Sport 1Z star Specs will beat them in all areas for like $10 more.

615s are decent tires and much much better than the 912s in anything that's not winter.

However, Dunlop Durezza Sport 1Z star Specs will beat them in all areas for like $10 more.

I guess next time around I'll give them a try...

-mike

• 4 weeks later...
I just got the Falken 452's in 225/45/18 size and am very pleased with the tire. Right out the box they best the Toyo t1 r's they replaced. Great ride comfort , very sticky and slightly better turn in than the Toyo's due to the marginally better (stiffer) side wall. We get alot of rain here in South Fla and they have performed like a champ. Much better tire than the 912 or 512. I autocross them next week so will report on that too. BTW got them for $ 132 each at a local discounter.

• 4 weeks later...
Old thread but....I have KDW 2 (now called KDW NT). Excellent dry and wet traction, they've lasted great, and low price ($123 for 225 17"). Took them to the track and they held up very well. Downside: Noise...not terrible, but noticeable.

The Azenis didn't quite fit, so I went with the Dunlops in 225-45 on my STi rims. Will report back how they fair.

-mike

The Azenis didn't quite fit, so I went with the Dunlops in 225-45 on my STi rims. Will report back how they fair.

-mike

I've gone from the Z1 to RT-615s on a temporary basis.

Tire shop claimed to have Z1s, actually got DZ101s. i was on 1/32" so they gave me some loner tires in the form of RT-615s. I've auto-crossed them twice and you can really feel the difference. They heat up slower -- though don't hold up to heat like the dunlops and the ultimate grip is noticebly worse. They also have some issues with steering when one tire gets loaded quickly that the dunlops did not have.

RT-615 are really a second-tier tire now.

Unfortunatly, Z1s in 225/45/17 are on national backorder, so I'm going with Re-01Rs, which hopefully will be comparable wth the dunlops.

I've gone from the Z1 to RT-615s on a temporary basis.

Tire shop claimed to have Z1s, actually got DZ101s. i was on 1/32" so they gave me some loner tires in the form of RT-615s. I've auto-crossed them twice and you can really feel the difference. They heat up slower -- though don't hold up to heat like the dunlops and the ultimate grip is noticebly worse. They also have some issues with steering when one tire gets loaded quickly that the dunlops did not have.

RT-615 are really a second-tier tire now.

Unfortunatly, Z1s in 225/45/17 are on national backorder, so I'm going with Re-01Rs, which hopefully will be comparable wth the dunlops.

Yeah I haven't driven on Azenis since they were the old version.

I guess I got one of the last sets of the Z1s in 225-45-17 from TR. I was debating the RE-01Rs, which are a better tire, but at a higher cost. I felt the cost increase to the RE-01Rs over the Dunlops wasn't worth it. I may have the Z1s out on Pocono North this coming weekend, so hopefully I'll have some feedback.

-mike

How many here are confusing Falken Ziex 912s (brand new) with Falken Ziex 512 (been around for ~5-10 years)?

Ziex 512s are uni-directional, Ziex 912s are non-directional.

Just asking, because it seems too many people have been running the 912s for how long they've been out...

Joe

P.s. I have the Ziex 912s on my 06 Civic SI since March/8k miles.

How many here are confusing Falken Ziex 912s (brand new) with Falken Ziex 512 (been around for ~5-10 years)?

Ziex 512s are uni-directional, Ziex 912s are non-directional.

Just asking, because it seems too many people have been running the 912s for how long they've been out...

Joe

P.s. I have the Ziex 912s on my 06 Civic SI since March/8k miles.

Dunno, but I never ran Ziexs. Azenis were the only Falkens I felt were worth anything, and at that it was due to their low price (1st gen), now the new ones are almost as expensive as the rest of the tires out there so I'm not sure they are worth it anymore.

-mike

Dunno, but I never ran Ziexs. Azenis were the only Falkens I felt were worth anything, and at that it was due to their low price (1st gen), now the new ones are almost as expensive as the rest of the tires out there so I'm not sure they are worth it anymore.

-mike

well...that is kinda what I was thinking. Azenis were more expensive than the 912's when I got them last year.

and I actually ran 912's. They were excellent in everything but ice...and from what I've tried in the $300-$350 price range they win hands down

Archived