LegacyGT.com

First service on Legacy GT

For ever new car I've owned since I started driving, (36 years ago), my first service has always been at 3 months or at 1000 miles. Then its every 3000 miles there after. At 7000 miles I began switching to synthetic when it became available. I have never had any engine trouble with any of my cars in those 36 years. I also like to bring the car in after the first 1000 miles so it could be given a good going over, re-torque the wheel lug nuts and correct any issues I might have found.

There's this thing, I think it's called a manual. it's got GREAT info in it, and it's best to follow it!!!

Survey Says: :rtfm:

but don't take it to the dealership. You'll feel like you got gang raped when you pay the bill:rolleyes:

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

:eek::eek:NO YOU DIDN"T!!?? you're kidding right. oh you are SO screwed!!!!!! :lol::spin::spin::spin:

I drove 30,000 km's before my first oil change or service. No, I didn't read the manual. What do those engineers really know anyway?

Will I run in to long term problems?

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

It's OK. It's a lease vehicle, so I was going to go 4 years on the same oil and then just hand it back to them.

(if my dealership is reading this thread... yes I am kidding!)

It's OK. It's a lease vehicle, so I was going to go 4 years on the same oil and then just hand it back to them.

(if my dealership is reading this thread... yes I am kidding!)

I once jokingly said to a buddies girlfriend that her car was all original, even the oil in the engine.

She thought it was a compliment.:eek:

There's this thing, I think it's called a manual. it's got GREAT info in it, and it's best to follow it!!!

Survey Says: :rtfm:

but don't take it to the dealership. You'll feel like you got gang raped when you pay the bill:rolleyes:

so don't go to the dealer for the regular service?? ( i understand WHY you stated this, COST) they're known for ripping you. plus, most delearships know that if you've come to them, you've been to everyone else prior, or you just have plenty of money to blow. but lets just say i purchased my car used, under 7K miles from a secondary source(carmax)ithe original service manuals and info is from the local dealer. ive already called carmax bluff on service they stated they did, but DIDN'T do. i do all my normal weekend wrench upkeep, oil change etc etc. but im getting close to my 15K and want to take it in for a thorough look over (im hearing LT front bearing squeaks/possibly brakes, but doubt it from read material on the board. so if not the dealer, i really dont want to take it back to carm-minimum um, to whom shall i bring my precious?

first of all, don't ever buy another car from carmax. you learned a valuable lesson there. they don't do the work they said they'd do or fix.

if it's a bearing, subaru just sent out notices regarding bad bearings. they may cover it even though you aren't the orig. owner. call them.

find a good local shop in your area. if you need warranty work, go to the dealer. if you don't, use a good local shop. see if you have subie shop around.

so don't go to the dealer for the regular service?? ( i understand WHY you stated this, COST) they're known for ripping you. plus, most delearships know that if you've come to them, you've been to everyone else prior, or you just have plenty of money to blow. but lets just say i purchased my car used, under 7K miles from a secondary source(carmax)ithe original service manuals and info is from the local dealer. ive already called carmax bluff on service they stated they did, but DIDN'T do. i do all my normal weekend wrench upkeep, oil change etc etc. but im getting close to my 15K and want to take it in for a thorough look over (im hearing LT front bearing squeaks/possibly brakes, but doubt it from read material on the board. so if not the dealer, i really dont want to take it back to carm-minimum um, to whom shall i bring my precious?

Mine was a spoof Gumby...you awake yet? When was you first time you got serviced IN your LGT. with me?

As for the OP :rtfm:

I actually did RTFM, hard to believe.

The question is that we were told for a longest time to do regular service every 3000 miles/3 months regardless. Now most of car manufacturers are offering free maintenance (not Subies, :icon_conf), we are told that it's okay to let the car run as long as the "service" light doesn't come on or for the LGT, they suggest 1st service at 7500 miles. Sure I understand technology advances and improved quality of gasoline and whatnot, but still, no service for 7500 miles (in my case, more than a year)?

When I asked the deals about this, they normally give me a marketing spiel. So, my question is not about asking you to help me decide what to do, but rather about what you guys think, 3000 miles/3 months, or "service" light?

id do q 5k oil changes, I'm not in stop and go traffic either.

occasionally I'll pull a Kramer and see how long I can go without changing the oil though.:rolleyes:

yeah, I know he did it with the gas. I'm doing it with the oil ok!!?? So shut up!

Archived