LegacyGT.com

Attention PINK spring buyers and owners.....

So we got about 7 inches here in Maryland and the LEGACY GT with pinks had no clearance problems. So I had this thought the other day. ................

Of the people who have pinks, give your impressions of how they are now after 2 or 3 months. I know we have ALOT of customers with the pinks on their car. And how many people have sway bars, an whats your feeling after driving in the snow with a lowered and modified car.

We will upgrade to the Bilsteins soon and then the ZEAL B6s soon after. I guess not in time for the winter season.

Have em and still love them. pinks with oem sways, tires and rims. the reduced ride height so far hasn't been an issue, but if I lived well into the snow belt, I'd have second thoughts. you'd need a lot of unplowed snow to worry about the ride height (not a factor, or extremely rare, in my area), but the reduced space in the wheel wells does mean that snow gets packed in there faster, and that can definitely contribute to reduced traction.

still, the car is pretty predictable and I am looking forward to putting in the JDM rear sway soon. I have to hope the lip spoiler with the pinks will not be too low for city/snow purposes. things will only improve with better tires come summer (and dedicated winter tires for next year).

EDIT: I shd say that this setup wd no doubt be improved with the JDM spec-b Bilsteins, but so far they are prohibitively expensive to get. I may or may not do something about this in the future.

getting out of the legacy game :cool:

Have em and still love them. pinks with oem sways, tires and rims. the reduced ride height so far hasn't been an issue, but if I lived well into the snow belt, I'd have second thoughts. you'd need a lot of unplowed snow to worry about the ride height (not a factor, or extremely rare, in my area), but the reduced space in the wheel wells does mean that snow gets packed in there faster, and that can definitely contribute to reduced traction.

still, the car is pretty predictable and I am looking forward to putting in the JDM rear sway soon. I have to hope the lip spoiler with the pinks will not be too low for city/snow purposes. things will only improve with better tires come summer (and dedicated winter tires for next year).

EDIT: I shd say that this setup wd no doubt be improved with the JDM spec-b Bilsteins, but so far they are prohibitively expensive to get. I may or may not do something about this in the future.

Kool review. The wife loves the car in the snow and cant wait for more..............

No snow in Florida...but I'm still extremely satisfied with the Bilstein/STI pinks setup, huge improvement in handling with no "real" diminshed ride quality or added noise. Even the wife approves! Plus the car looks great with the approx. 1/2" to 3/4" lower stance. It's definitly higher than the STi pinks alone, but low enough to close the wheel gap to a respectable level.

As I indicated in my Pinks Install thread I feel that the handling improvement is more than negated by the decrease in ride quality. While big bumps are more controlled the car is much harsher over small bumps. I'm not ready to give up on the Pinks yet tho. It seems that many on this forum believe the shocks to be the primary culprit, and Opie has confirmed this with his Bilstein/Pinks setup. I too am waiting for the Spec-B Bilsteins to be more readily available in the US. If they take too long to arrive my daughter is travelling to Japan this summer and I may just have her stop by the local Subaru dealership and pick me up a set.:)

I asked AVO for a quote on the Bilsteins....

:confused:

:eek:

:mad:

other aftermarket shocks may have to make do.

Ditto. Is your anti-smiley potpourri due to lack of response or the expense/delivery time? I've PMed Paul several times about it and he has yet to give me a quote.

I asked AVO for a quote on the Bilsteins....

:confused:

:eek:

:mad:

other aftermarket shocks may have to make do.

When I asked him at one point he said around $1800 shipped (if I remember right). At that point everyone backed off the topic. If you search he said it in a thread somewhere…

Keep in mind Paul gets 100's of PMs and e-mails.

EDIT: I was right http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=103575&postcount=36

Thread http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6278

On my old MY99 Legacy I had a set of Eibach ProKit springs for the Impreza...the ratings didn't match the car perfectly and because of that I was rubbing and bottomed out a lot!!! The struts I used were KYB AGX...to me the combination, which was under $1000 and I drove with this setup for over 3 years in MD/DC/VA, was the best bang for the buck IMHO!!! Handling inproved tremendously compared to stock and the adjustable dampening was a nice bonus...hell I think my old legacy handles a lot better than my current one! Anyways, do you think KYB adjustable struts would be a good match with the STi springs....if/when they come out with???

If one is going to spend $1500 to $1600 for bilstein and $400-$500 for springs...why not go all out and save a few more Benjamins and get coilovers!!!

Don't mind me...I'm just rambling...but I just feel a spring and strut combo should be around $1000 give or take...and a coilover can be justified at $2000 give or take!!!

CRAZY KEN

Here is the thing,..............( and yes I agree there are a handful of springs for the older GC8 Impreza that when matched to the KYB AGX struts with tops, were incredible),....( STI tarmac springs and AGX with group-n top mounts is what I had on my 2.5 RS, and it was stupid-nice)...anyway. You ask why not go all the way?....well there is a sweet spot you hit when you couple a "Bilstein" type damper with a Sti pink spring ( for Legacy) that few coilovers can match. Noise, adjusting in the cold, and simplicity all play a role here. I was in KEEFE's car a couple of weeks ago, and we were hitting bumps in the road with his ZEALS, and I was amazed at how compliant the meeting of pothole with Japenese coilover and camber plate was. BUT like I said the brands that can accomplish this AND perform well at the track, are far few and between. So for "JOE BUTTONDOWN", he may not want to play with and adjust and etc a coilover, even though it may only take a day or so to know the set up, just the thought frustrates some people.

The wife wants Bilsteins, so Bilsteins she will get, even though I want her LEG GT to have Zeal V6 on it. :mad:

At some point KYB will introduce a AGX for the LEGACY GT and we can only hope its not as aggressive as the WRX version, as the stock strut tops wont allow us to enjoy them.

(this has been a "my .02 cents" commentary):)

Myles@racecompengineering

mw

I'm looking for a set of springs, mostly for aesthetics. I don't autocross, just or spirited driving. I want to keep the ride comfortable though.

Are the STI Pinks a good route for this situation are there better options?

I don't plan on doing too much to the car, just to get a little more power and have it look a little nicer than the stockers around.

I'm looking for a set of springs, mostly for aesthetics. I don't autocross, just or spirited driving. I want to keep the ride comfortable though.

I don't plan on doing too much to the car, just to get a little more power and have it look a little nicer than the stockers around.

Yes I do think the PINKs and I think most pink owners will agree, the pinks are a great intermediate mod for someone in your shoes. Beyond that most are doing sway bars, lower braces, etc..........

Myles

Just keep in mind several people have said that pinks on the stock struts are a little harsh. Im running my Pinks on JDM GT struts and I could not be happier!!!

Well in that case I wold love to feel what a softer spring would fee like in the Legacy,...............as it would be too soft and bottom out and use the bump stops all the time. There ( this isnt directed at you Rclark) but there isnt this magical spring that makes a stock car feel like a spec-B. People always seem to want the impossible. Case in point,............" yes I would like a pad that I can take to the track and beat up, yes have no sqeal and no brake dust........" That doesnt exist(not if you're fast). So same thing with suspensions, there will be minimal trade off no matter what you so, OR its gonna cost you alot of money. One or the other. Anyone who tells (sells )you otherwise is not being honest.

Myles Wiliams

Racecomp Engineering LLC.

When I asked him at one point he said around $1800 shipped (if I remember right). At that point everyone backed off the topic. If you search he said it in a thread somewhere…

Keep in mind Paul gets 100's of PMs and e-mails.

EDIT: I was right http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=103575&postcount=36

I saw that post and replied and PM'ed Paul about getting 'dibs' on his set if he swaps out. Still, no response. Guess I will have to keep my eyes open for another set.....

Well in that case I wold love to feel what a softer spring would fee like in the Legacy,...............as it would be too soft and bottom out and use the bump stops all the time. There ( this isnt directed at you Rclark) but there isnt this magical spring that makes a stock car feel like a spec-B. People always seem to want the impossible. Case in point,............" yes I would like a pad that I can take to the track and beat up, yes have no sqeal and no brake dust........" That doesnt exist(not if you're fast). So same thing with suspensions, there will be minimal trade off no matter what you so, OR its gonna cost you alot of money. One or the other. Anyone who tells (sells )you otherwise is not being honest.

Myles Wiliams

Racecomp Engineering LLC.

I understand what you are saying im just passing along what I read by a few people. Personally im 26 and more than willing to give up that “luxury” ride for something that fells solid and predictable. Nasioks said he was looking for an ascetic rather than a performance spring. I understand you’re a vendor (and a great one I might add!!!!!!) but if all he wants is a drop there are cheaper spring that will do that. Im now politely backing off this thread as we are way off topic of Pinks in the snow ;)

We had 20 plus inches of snow and my pinks and cuscos were just fine even though they dropped my XT 2 inches. Had no trouble getting out of a snow bank that I slid into. Having Winter Sport M-3s did not hurt .

I to got the same information about Bilsteins , so for a little more went Zeals and will keep the stock struts and pinks for when the Zeals are back for rebuilds every couple of years. The Zeals over time may actually be "cost effective" if the rebuilds are reasonable - amazing how you can rationalize anything if you really want it.

• 3 months later...

Archived