LegacyGT.com

Spec.b Speedometer Calibration Thru Nav

Before I start: I did try a search, but didn't turn anything up, So try to take it easy on me if this has been discussed to death:lol:

So I noticed on my Navigation in that there is a spot to do a Tire Calibration. All its says is something like "Use this feature after changing tires" and there is a start button, which i pressed, and that was it. It gave no indication that it completed any tests or anything.

I could find nothing in my Owners Manual on this feature, So i'm asking here:

Does this feature actually work? As in When i put my 17inch rims and winter tires on this Fall will using this actually make my speedometer read correctly?:confused:

Sorry its called "Distance Calibration" and its under Menu > Navigation Setup > Calibration

See Attached

Might be just something to do with Nav? Beats Me:confused:

i believe it's because the NAV system relies on GPS for position, but when you lose the signal (i.e. going into a tunnel) it still is able to show movement. Unlike a garmin nuvi for example that will just stop, then snap to current position after you exit said tunnel. It also allows for smoother movement of the car on the map, since GPS recievers in cars usually only update 1 time per second, but the factory system is smooter than that.

Yep, I just RTFM (for what it's worth -- it's a pretty lousy manual) and it's there in my LGT.B, too. I'll try it tomorrow to see if it'll accommodate my smaller tires. And then I'll try it in our Outback to see if it'll work there, to fix a 10% speedo error.

This could well be a godsend. I feel dumb for not having found it before -- thanks a million! HPH

Yes this sounds like a good explanation. I think you are right.

i believe it's because the NAV system relies on GPS for position, but when you lose the signal (i.e. going into a tunnel) it still is able to show movement. Unlike a garmin nuvi for example that will just stop, then snap to current position after you exit said tunnel. It also allows for smoother movement of the car on the map, since GPS recievers in cars usually only update 1 time per second, but the factory system is smooter than that.

^This is what I've been thinking. But we'll see: the 10% error on our Outback will provide a good test. (And even if it does only reset the TPMS computer, well, that's a victory in that little campaign.) HPH

If the meters do a swing when you turn on the ignition they are electrical and if they don't then they may be mechanical. (they can be electrical still...)

And if you have a mechanical odo/trip then it's very likely that the speedo is mechanical too.

453747.png

To me it sounds more like something used to reset the TPMS sensors. Subscribe.

I don;t think so...my 06 has the same screen and I do not have TPMS.. :(

I believe it has to do with the navi keeping up when it loses signal with the sat.

Well I tried the distance calibration and it didn't have any discernable effect on my speedometer error. Now, I did this in suburban traffic, with a couple of stop lights in the interval (which seems to need about 6 miles); next time I get the chance, I'll try it on the interstate, with no stops. But I'm not optimistic.

And it didn't have any effect on my blinking TPMS light, either. HPH

It's not very likely that it will have any effect.

You will probably have to do a software upgrade or a recalibration to get that fixed. But isn't this a warranty issue? Or has it expired? It would be a small deal if it's a software issue.

453747.png

• 3 years later...

Archived