LegacyGT.com

3000 mile oil change

So you are using a 3,000mi OCI because your car will consume ~20% of it's capacity, and because you are pushing the engine much harder than the typical daily driver. I would say that's a great reason. It certainly doesn't amount to a "just because", which is what I was protesting.

In my experience, I have done regular 5,000mi OCI with the occasional 6,000mi OCI due to timing constraints. I check the oil at every fill-up (~5days) and have never noticed consumption or even much discoloration. Hence, I feel completely safe, at stock power levels, with the 5,000mi OCI.

Subaru's real interval is 3750 miles severe service for 2005+ using spec'd dino. However in 2007 or 2008 they have decided all there turbo engines are severe service so the interval is 3750 miles. I use that one.

my oil is all black after 3k miles

try to drain it after a couple hundred - it will be pretty black still. i drained my oil the day after i did a change because i forgot to put on the crush washer (i know, i know, brian you idiot!) - after about 75 miles of driving, it was pretty dark - it's normal engine nasty-ness. :)

brian

YMMV, but if you really want to find out how long YOU should go with YOUR oil you should have your oil sent out an analyzed. Every driver will likely have a slightly different change interval, due to use and environment, which isn't unexpected.

I started out changing my oil @ 3000 miles like I always have. I had an analysis done and it showed I still had some good life left in the oil. I then went 4500 miles and another analysis and it came back with very little life left in the oil. I have now determined to go with a 4000 mile change interval on my 2.5i to be 'safe' IMHO.

I am starting the same process on my wife's '02 Forester, which looks like it will get a similar change interval.

For reference I have been using Blackstone Labs for my testing and also requesting their TBN (total base number) rating, which is a slight additional cost. There are other labs out there, I just happened to use this one from the recommendation from a few other forums. Here is their link: http://www.blackstone-labs.com/index.html

You folks can argue the 'best' change interval till the cows come home, if you like. I suggest reading up what you can and making up your own mind. Good luck.

^ And that's exactly what I did.

And it showed that my oil at 5K on the mark was pretty burned. The recommendation was that I switch to a shorter OCI and since then I will be going with 3750 at the most.

At the same time, my wife's Focus has no problem running 5K on dino.

So, in conclusion, there is no blanket recommendation for all car types, makes, models. Go with what the manufacturer says and if you stray from that, have it tested if you want to argue with the rest.

Using Pennzoil Platinum at 6,000 mile OCI my UOA looks great with tons of additives left. 3,000 mile OCI used to be the norm, but oil technology has changed dramatically. Amsoil has customers running 25,000 miles regularly and a few trucks running over 100,000 miles on 1 oil change.
enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

I would rather be safe than sorry. I change mine every 3K just to be on the safe side. (especially being modified)

If I were stock, it would be a different story.

Ditto. Even when stock, I changed every 3K, +/-500 miles religiously. Currently at 50K and doesn't burn a drop of oil.

my oil is all black after 3k miles

That's because modern oils have a detergent in them that is supposed to turn black as soon as it's used a bit... the reason? If you have an oil leak it's a lot easier to see black liquid than clear :)

It seems like a lot of you in this thread should check out Blackstone Laboratories (http://www.blackstone-labs.com/). They will analyze your oil for you and tell you based on it's mileage how much more use you could have gotten out of it. That way you'll know via empirical data whether or not you were correct to be safe and change at 3k or whether you're shortchanging yourself. They can also warn you of any possible dangers your engine may be approaching.

I already have their free kit waiting for my next oil change :)

All this hand-wringing over something as simple as engine oil. Goodness.

Insofar as Subaru is now specifying the 3750-mile interval for their boosted engines, which include LGTs, of course, it seems unnecessary to bicker over all this or to pay extra for Blackstone or anyone to do an analysis.

Just change the oil (and, of course, filter) per Subaru's schedule. Even dino oil will last for 3750 miles, and using synthetic will provide whatever extra insurance you might feel you need.

This will free you up to worry about something else, like hydrogen injection or where to find the cheapest tires or how to black out your headlights. :icon_wink HPH

?

I don't see how spending $20 to have Blackstone check out my oil is unnecessary considering they'll be able to provide empirical data on how hard I use my oil and give me a general idea of when I should change it in the future.

It's like wearing the right shoe size. While a size 10 may be the average for the adult American male (generalizing, I know), I prefer a 10.5-11.

Everyone who has a turbo in there ride needs to change there oil no later than 3500......if not, you’re playing with fire to save a few bucks......

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58023&highlight=oil

about half way through you need to read about the banjo bolt...if you don't know....if that clogs up you lose your motor...no if and or but about it.....

They never said anything about running oil through a turbo...that's got to be one most harsh things you can do to oil, coupled with city driving, mods, banjo bolts, and all kinds of other stuff....... I'm sticking to my 5w-40 full syth. every 3500 4ktops...

:whore:

Speaking of buying oil, I am looking for a place online to buy Penzoil Platinum 10w40. I have searched the shit out of it on google and had no luck.

The highest advanced auto parts or autozone has is PP 10w30.

This has been the oil that has always been used in the wagon.

Archived