LegacyGT.com

BMW X6, sweet car, especially when FREE.

The twin turbo updraft V8 sounds like a nice engine, but the car is as big as a house.

And why is it so easy to graft a nice hatchback onto this beast, but nobody seems to be making hardly any 3 door coupes, let alone good looking ones?

The closeup shot of the hatchback line actually shows some good surface development, but the rest of the thing sucks. A 5 door isn't a coupe, especially as big and tall as a house.

But where on the market are the attractive, modest-size, modest weight 3 door coupes?

Blast from the past here. As of 12/09/08, the customer order backlog on the X6 is 3.4 months deep with the assembly line running at max capacity.

I know but they aren't coming to North America.

Looks like the Middle East is sucking up the demand.

You mean like the Audi TT, Citroën C4, Nissan 350Z, BMW 3-series coupé and Saturn?

Not that I would want any 3-door...

Audi TT is mostly FWD, and way too expensive for what it is, and pretty small. I'd rather have a used base Cayman, than a fully loaded new TT. And the Porsche is cheaper, at that point.

The US doesn't get Citroens, and seeing most of their stuff, it might be a bit odd looking.

Nissan 350Z isn't horrible, but it isn't exactly a touring car either. The rear stiffening bar blocks most of the utility of having a hatchback. Plus the car itself is not the most attractive version. I would probably buy a 1990s-era 300ZX, and overlook it's generous size. At least it looks good. 370Z looks even worse.

BMW 3-series coupe is not a 3-door, and 1 series is all of the bad things about the 3 series, with none of the benefits. too small, and too expensive, and still not a 3-door. The Z4 coupe again loses out to the Cayman, and is too expensive for most.

Saturn, are you kidding? Ion is crap, Astra is ok, for a hatch, but FWD, and I am mostly talking about sleek fastbacks, not boxy hatchbacks.

I've had a hatchback fox mustang, and a fastback Probe GT. Both were fantastic coupes that could actually swallow a good sized box, to bring home from the store, or other odd or somewhat large size items, and more than one would think.

The mustang was old at the time, and is even older now. The probe was very nice, but doesn't have the power, or the drivetrain that the Legacy has, nor a RWD drivetrain. The FWD bit was the only negative to the 93-97 Probe GT, and nothing like it has risen up to take it's place, and fixing that issue.

But now, instead of making a slick 3-door coupe, they make things like boxy hatches, or marginal looking cars that you have to like despite its looks, not for it's looks on top of an attractive technical package, like Genesis coupe, 350Z/370Z. Good underneath, marginal on the outside.

now they make things like the expensive, huge, and otherwise strange X6, and call it a "sport activity coupe". Ultimate driving machine, my foot.

Archived