LegacyGT.com

BMW X6, sweet car, especially when FREE.

Some background info first:

So my friend and I are way into cars (duh, so far) and he and his father track together a lot (insert bonding music here) and have done so for a few years now with quite a cool line up of little sports cars.

His mother owns an X3, and as such was invited to see the release of the new X6 at the dealership from which she purchased her vehicle.

Her son (my friend) pushed her into going, and it turned out that they dealership was raffling off a free 1 year "giveaway" for a new 2009 Black Sapphire Metallic X6, the one with the 6cylinder twin turbo (from the 135i/335i in case you are unfamiliar). Guess what, they WON!

They get this 300hp/300ft-lbs AWD beast, in a car that feels MUCH lighter on its feet than any SUV I've ever been in to date, for a year.

I'll admit, when I saw the release photos online of this thing, I was like :confused::nono:

and it looked like someone cut the top off of it and shortened it with a:jedi:.

And I'm an SUV-hater by nature, so keep that in mind as well.

I take it all back, this is by far the coolest BMW I have seen yet. The amount of thought and detail put into the design and features is insane. And they got this free so it "only" came with the rear climate package, premium package, sport package w/20" y spoke wheels, cold weather package, active steering, running boards, Sat radio, BMW Assist, and maybe some more that we're leaving out. There are even MORE options available, but I'll leave that for you readers to investigate.

The looks of the car in person are really quite nice, very aggressive with the front end, primarily because of the headlights (coolest of all the new designs in my opinion) and the grill openings top and bottom. People just get out of our way when we drive this thing. BUT it is NOT that big. We likened it to a 5 or 7 series on steroids (just grew upwards!).

The tail of the car also has some aggressive traits, especially at night when you can see the tail lights' accents. I would be able to spot this thing miles away because of how unique those are.

Despite the awkward rear window, we did not notice much of a blind spot in this thing at all. The car overall has some nicely done aggessive lines, but not overly done, it's still smooth and well "blended" if that makes any sense.

The car comes with 315s in the back and 275s up front on 20" wheels, and they don't look out of place at all. They just add to the beastly look of this car and allow it to be planted pretty much with whatever you can throw at it. Did I mention the screen that actively shows the torque distribution at each wheel? Oh yah, it's swweeet :)

It's a 4 seater, and still has plenty of room in the hatch (?) area to fit like.... who knows, like 6 drunk chics squashed in the back for the ride home from the club.

The climate system, radio controls (customizable buttons that know when you're hovering your fingers over them and show you what they're for), active steering, headlights that follow your turning, and all the other little nick-nacks are well thought out and executed. Even the rear passengers have their own screen for climate controls.

It has the obligatory BMW goodies, like folding mirrors, auto-reverse mirrors, the new key-fobs, etc. And it also has the front and rear parking sensors that show depth individiually on a display in the dash.

There really are a lot more things I'm sure I am forgetting but I'm not a journalist/reviewer so go try it out for yourself lol.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/ZJChaser/2008-06-09%20BMW%20X6%20CBR600/-9864.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/ZJChaser/2008-06-09%20BMW%20X6%20CBR600/-9860.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/ZJChaser/2008-06-09%20BMW%20X6%20CBR600/-9881.jpg

If I remember more I'll add it.

cool front, ugly everything else

great work of course from BMW but SUVs are DEAD. This will be a very rare, expensive and hard to sell car

Rare? yes.

Expensive? yes.

Hard to sell? No. BMW has already sold every X6 they have allotted for production this year.

Experience is something you don't get until right after you needed it.

I didn't; I am talking about X6-series as a whole as far as BMW is concerned

Insurance? Gas? who pays for that? what happens when the year is over?

Did you miss the FREE part? :lol:

how many have they alloted? 1000 worldwide?

Rare? yes.

Expensive? yes.

Hard to sell? No. BMW has already sold every X6 they have allotted for production this year.

The entire 2008 production run of BMW X6 vehicles in North America has been sold to dealers.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2008/05/08/bmw-x6-sold-out/

They sold everyone they had to BMW dealers. Which have to now sell them to customers. Good luck with that:lol:

Saw one on Saint Catherines, during Montreal GP weekend. A group of twenty something year old girls were puzzled by it and my sister thought it was the new Aztek:lol:

how many have they alloted? 1000 worldwide?

The current production mix at the Spartanburg (Greer) plant is over 900 X6's per week.

As far as the post about the inventory being sold to dealers, the blog linked also states:

"Surprising that the X6 is sold out? Well, not really, most of the U.S dealerships sold their cars within the first week and there is a waiting list already at some of them."

"Update: Just to clear out the confusion, by SOLD OUT, BMW meant being sold out from the factory to the dealers. There are still dealers that have some X6's on the lot, but many of them don't, based on the area and the market they are in."

For the way BMW does business, it doesn't really matter who buys them. BMW does not build a vehicle unless it has been ordered and paid for by someone. The statement about being sold out to dealers is also misleading. Well, yeah. If a customer wants a car, do they go online and order it directly from the factory? No. It's ordered through a dealer. The exceptions are in the case of the European delivery or factory delivery programs but the fact of those is that BMW is still being paid the price that it would've charged the dealer.

For the record, I think the X6 is completely unnecessary with times what they are. But that doesn't change the facts and that's all I'm attempting to get across.

OK, what is one more forum for me to join. I've spent enough time in and driving Kaos's LGT to qualify over here anyway.

To clarify, It is a 1yr 15k mile lease. So after 1 yr or 15k miles(whichever comes first) we just frop it back off at the dealer. We just pay insurance and gas. Not too bad of a deal.....

And the dealer this car came from, Sterling in Newport, already said they sold out of their initial shipment and had to beg BMW to give them two more for their promotional event. The other one on the lot was already claimed when we pciked this one up.

It gets no worse mileage than my truck and is far nicer and more entertaining to drive. The TTv8 that comes out next year is total overkill. The TTI6 is plenty in this thing.

For the record, I think the X6 is completely unnecessary with times what they are. But that doesn't change the facts and that's all I'm attempting to get across.

:confused:

I still don't get your point. They where able to sell out a small run of 08 cars to dealers. Now, the dealers have to wait for the factory to start pumping out the '09s. That was the cause of supposed "shortage" and list of people. It's a nice shell game that BMW marketing is performing.

I can gaurantee when real sales number breakdown come out for a year worth of sales. It won't look very pretty.

is that a joke? I only want to drive my LGT, that's exactly why I bought it and modified everything to my liking. People that drive SUVs get no respect from me, 0.

Jealous much?

nothing is free. driving any car is a responsibility (just like having a weapon). You have to make sure you don't crash and kill someone or just damage something badly or that the car gets stolen. You also have to get the highest insurance coverage for something like this and enjoy a nice gas bill.

the back of this car looks like a dog taking a poop.

That's not an SUV in my book.

They look nice but a little funky for my liking, I have seen 2 of them recently.

Hey a free BMW you gotta be stupipd not to take that.

is that a joke? I only want to drive my LGT, that's exactly why I bought it and modified everything to my liking. People that drive SUVs get no respect from me, 0.

asshat much?

• 5 months later...
:confused:

I still don't get your point. They where able to sell out a small run of 08 cars to dealers. Now, the dealers have to wait for the factory to start pumping out the '09s. That was the cause of supposed "shortage" and list of people. It's a nice shell game that BMW marketing is performing.

I can gaurantee when real sales number breakdown come out for a year worth of sales. It won't look very pretty.

Blast from the past here. As of 12/09/08, the customer order backlog on the X6 is 3.4 months deep with the assembly line running at max capacity.

A friend of mine has one with the twin turbo v8 and I drove it a few weeks ago. Nice car and unique look, but it didn't knock my socks off. I would get a supercharged Ranger Rover Sport before the X6. Better curb appeal and more functional.

Archived