LegacyGT.com

Options for a 6 speed swap for my '05

johnAWD

Now that I've got a taste of what power feels like again, I would like more. One of the stepping stones will be a 6 speed swap in order to hold said power.

Will the '08 spec b 6 speed bolt right up to my 05? If not, is there a LOT of fab which needs to be done? How about the 6 speed STI tranny?

Thanks,

-john

Tuner mentioned that they were having problems with the fitment on the drive shaft.

:lol: Well, if they were try to fit the stock one, then sure. Won't work. Options are: SpecB, 2.5i 4AT or a custom one.

trade in your car, get an sti for the price of the swap :rolleyes:

meh. 04-07 sti? meeeh 08 sti? puke

07 sti tranny - $3.5k

3.54 R160 diff (out of WRX) - $200

fly+clutch - $500-800

4AT drive shaft - $50-100

stock sti shifter - $25

aftermarket dccd controller - $300

labor (optional) - $400-800

for 5k-6k you get brand new STI 6spd in LGT

Can find a nice black 05 sti w/ 30ish miles on it for low 20's. Stiffer chassis, brembo brakes, sti transmission better track beast. I still prefer the looks of the lgt personally as well, but if i were to drop 6k on a transmission i would greatly consider selling my car and just finding a used sti. Just mho.

meh. 04-07 sti? meeeh 08 sti? puke

07 sti tranny - $3.5k

3.54 R160 diff (out of WRX) - $200

fly+clutch - $500-800

4AT drive shaft - $50-100

stock sti shifter - $25

aftermarket dccd controller - $300

labor (optional) - $400-800

for 5k-6k you get brand new STI 6spd in LGT

06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

Can find a nice black 05 sti w/ 30ish miles on it for low 20's. Stiffer chassis, brembo brakes, sti transmission better track beast. I still prefer the looks of the lgt personally as well, but if i were to drop 6k on a transmission i would greatly consider selling my car and just finding a used sti. Just mho.

Absolutely not! 02-07 Impreza is based on antiquated 1990-1999 Legacy chassis! It's not stiffer at all.

Brembos are trivial upgrade for LGT. The only good points are better stock suspension and 6 spd/diffs. Ok, shorter wheel base is good for autox, but not track.

Overall 04-07 STIs are overrated.

^ never knew that. Well, my buddies sti feels a hell of a lot more planted than my car with stock struts and tanabe springs in comparison to my car w/ tein flex coilovers on the stiffest setting.

Why not just get a high performance clutch? It seems like the stock 5-speed is pretty stout with the right clutch.....

The 5 speed case is split, and will flex/give up under duress. The 6 speed case 'slides over' the tranny, and doesn't have the split case issue.

^ still young, still prefer an lgt to an sti. However think i would question the worth of the upgrade.. then again im not making 400whp haha.

There is a shop(Planet Motorsports) in Ontario, that does the 6MT and DCCD swap for $3500 + tax or with brembo's all round for $5k + tax.

http://www.toronto-subaru-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108894

3500+ tax for the Hardware and installation is amazing price. And only 700 more for Auto's. I would do that if they were located in the north east.

I am assuming they rebuild broken 6-speeds in house to do it at those prices.

Keep an eye out for a good deal. My buddy got an 06 STI tranny, hubs, brakes, BBS w/tires, driveshaft, rear diff, shifter, ACT clutch all for $3k. You could sell all the stuff you dont need/cant use and have a cheap 6 spd. swap.

Now that I've got a taste of what power feels like again, I would like more. One of the stepping stones will be a 6 speed swap in order to hold said power.

Will the '08 spec b 6 speed bolt right up to my 05? If not, is there a LOT of fab which needs to be done? How about the 6 speed STI tranny?

Thanks,

-john

If you haven't just read, http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61199 Most all of your "?" will be answered.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Archived