LegacyGT.com

RomRaider/Open Source Tune

cfdrumr

Help...

I have a 05 gt wagon and would like to start tuning. Nothing too crazy, but some more power. I would like to do open-source and work on it myself...where should I start? Does anyone have a nice basemap for a 5eat GT at sea level?

Any help is really appreciated.

Thats the one.....

You need to do alot of research before jumping off into it though. Also depending on your rom, there might possibly need to be a fix applied to insure you have proper operation of your wastegate >4000ish rpms.

Read the forum and the wiki at RomRaider, and consider buying the books I listed on that wiki, I found them very informative.

It's also been useful to follow some of the threads there where someone posts logs and people (usually MickeyD) interpret the logs and offer suggestions on the tune.

Agreed with all of the above, but I want to add, please read all of Merchgod's stickies under the ECU Analysis forum at RomRaider. These explain how the control and feedback systems in our ECU function. It really helps to grasp these concepts so you know WHY things work the way they do.

And I agree that Mickeyd's base map is very well executed and you are unlikely to find someone that has a better understanding of the ECU's logic. He has helped many members on multiple forums tune thier cars and diagnose problems.

Are there any books that are specifically about tuning turbo subarus?

NSFW if you had to recommend only one of those books, which one? I'm thinking about ordering [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Modify-Management-Systems-Motorbooks-Workshop/dp/0760315825/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-5210105-7235902?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177224074&sr=8-2]How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems (Jeff Hartman)[/ame].

would all this be relevant for N/A? meaning the romraider program and all, i know the books will give you the knowledge for tuning but being N/A should i bother?

03 BH

Mods: Group A Alt & Crank Pullys and end links,

CIA, JDM L7 Grille, JDM HID lights, JDM rear tails

Stromung CBE, KYB GR2's W/ H&R springs.

would all this be relevant for N/A? meaning the romraider program and all, i know the books will give you the knowledge for tuning but being N/A should i bother?

Yes, all you will be set back is what $80? Any car will benefit from proper tuning.

I'm not sure if the ECU definitions include the NA cars but I think they do.

If you just like to know how things work, and if you already have a laptop, then get the cable and do some logging, it's kinda neat. (Note: 5 out of 5 normal people agree, NSFW is a geek.)

I don't think the 16 bit drive-by-cable normally aspirated cars are supported. The ecu is different. This is what merchgod said:

The NA ECU for drive-by-cable models is not the same as the turbo 16-bit ECU. They are completely different. There is no way to read/flash that particular NA ECU with Ecuflash. Only the 05 onward can be when they switched to the 32-bit ECU for the naturally aspirated models and also went with drive-by-wire.

I don't think the 16 bit drive-by-cable normally aspirated cars are supported. The ecu is different. This is what merchgod said:

Dang, well that is news to me, I have ran across a few OS 32 bit N/A I assumed the 16 bits were as well. :redface:

well im working with an N/A 03 Legacy wagon with a 4EAT with cable throttle.

03 BH

Mods: Group A Alt & Crank Pullys and end links,

CIA, JDM L7 Grille, JDM HID lights, JDM rear tails

Stromung CBE, KYB GR2's W/ H&R springs.

Archived