LegacyGT.com

09 GT / 08 Spec-B - choices and the wait

ProHobo

So, I was planing on buying the LGT 08 and talked with the dealer (got the $13k trade in on my 04 WRX). (See my first thread 08 - what options).

However, after they searched there are NO 08 GTs in the color with manual.

So here are my options:

1. LGT 09 ($30k) out the door = $17k after trade in.

Here is the problem: They will NOT get the 09 in (with my color and options) until the end of July. No problem on waiting - BUT they can NOT guarentee my trade in for the $13+K. Which means by the time it comes in my cash out of pocket might go up to $18, $19, or even $20k. The prices on trade in are dropping fast. So my risk in this option is by the time it DOES get in my cash out of pocket would be HIGHER. My trade in value has already dropped a $2k since Jan. So waiting hurts me more.

2. Spec B 08 ($34k) out the door = $21k after trade in.

This is ready to go today - they have it on the lot in my color. However I am buying an 08, rather than an 09 so it will devalue faster than the 09. The LGT 09 will probably have more trade in value in a couple of years than a 08 Spec B. (which seems to be the case). The additional problem is that I am paying $4k more than the 09 GT.

Here is my main concern - lossing trade in value, (with gas prices going up and auto sales slowing) used cars are lossing thier trade in value fast. I have lost $2k from Jan - when I went to visit the dealer. This is the primary thing I am concerned about cash out of pocket.

While the GT may be cheaper - by the time it gets to the dealership my trade cash out of pocket could go from $17k to $19k, at that point the difference in caost is only $2k for the SPEC B.

Since this is a trade-in cash transaction I am trying to limit my out of pocket cash expense and my risk currently is time - waiting for the 09 LGT.

Pay $21k today for a 08 Spec B.

Pay $17k, $18k, $19k, ??? for a 09 LGT in 2 months

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Yeah - I think I agree, jomamma...

However - if I wait as the dealer says for the 09 LGT my trade-in value will continue to drop - to how much is the question. At the end of June my trade-in value might $500 - $1000 less, by July who knows?

When does the spread between the 08 Spec B and the 09 GT become worth it? $1k, $2k, $3k, currently $4k ?

why are you so obsessed with trade in value? subarus don't have a reputation for good depreciation anyway and are you driving a lot everyday that you will put a lot of miles on the car? I think mileage will have a bigger impact than model year, esp with only a 1 year difference.

the real question you should ask is, is the $4K worth having a 6 spd, sat nav, spec B interior, and a few other features? if not, then get the 09 LGT

Monkey,

You are right. My only obession with trade in value is the cash difference I have to pay. The longer I wait the lower my trade in value the higher my cash out of pocket out lay.

In Jan. the dealer offered me $15k trade in value - today it's $13k. That is 2k in 6 months, meaning more out of pocket for me.

I am not putting that many miles on the car (currently 42k). I don't know if the drop in the last 6 months was more due to the economy than anything else. As used cars might be harder to move at premium prices?

I am just wondering if I do wait until beginning of july how much more does my trade-in value drop, which equals more out of pocket for me?

Note, I did order the 09 LGT today - with no comitments to buy when it comes in. So I guess I will just wait....who knows .....maybe the SpecB 08 will still be on the lot and offered lower by then since the 09s are hitting the lot.

the 6 speed is the only good thing about the specb

also has VDC.

I agree that mileage will be a bigger diff than the 08/09 diff, assuming you're going to trade again in 2012 or later.

As an owner of a 2000 MY car, my advice might be to just hold onto your WRX for another year and see what the 2010 and 2011 models bring.

You should be seeing $1000/yr depreciation on the WRX from here on out, no more.

Depreciation of your WRX is pretty even at this point… it won't lose that much value over 60 days. Don't let the dealer strong arm you over this point… Likely that amount should be about the same if you wait for the LGT.

Not saying you are, but DON"T be a trade in value buyer. Work on the sticker, go from there. The current 'Subaru best trade in value' seems like a bit of a suckers game…

Speaking of depreciation, the NAV actually may work AGAINST you here.

Technology like this outdates itself very quickly. I can't quantify it is true, but my guess is the NAV as far as trade in value will not help at all as it is seen as obsolete after 3+ years.

So, unless you are thrilled by it… that pretty much leaves suede and 6spd. Anything else can be done better after market for cheap.

$2k after market can get you better suspension, easy.

Wait for the 09. You'll be happier as you won't feel you compromised, even if the SpecB. is the 'better' car, because you went looking for an LGT… not a SpecB.

Now, if the B was a screaming deal… $30K OTD (same as an 09 LGT), then you'd have something!!

Guest heightsgtltd
I realize you're doing a lot of math and what not but, as I understand it, the specB is superior to the lgt......nuff said......

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

The dealer told me the same thing about the trade when I ordered my 07. I told them that it was no big deal and if they dropped my trade value by too much I simply would look elsewhere. They gave me the exact same on the trade with no issues. I'd get the 09, from what I understand the stereo system is upgraded compared to the previous MY.

there is little difference in your 08 and 09> If youre already dropping that kind of money You might as well get the top of the line. Maybe you look at differently> I just knew that if i bought the gt i would always lust after the spec options. I would break it down to the difference in payment. What is that $4K going to do to the payment?

How's about a nice Honda Fit? My thoughts are, if you're fussing this much over a few grand here or there, then as gas prices rise, you'll be like some of those other guys who are passing on their Legacies to use the motorcycle, or possibly selling the car because you can't afford to drive it.

How's about a nice Honda Fit? My thoughts are, if you're fussing this much over a few grand here or there, then as gas prices rise, you'll be like some of those other guys who are passing on their Legacies to use the motorcycle, or possibly selling the car because you can't afford to drive it.

Some people have money to spend because they make a habit of "fussing this much over a few grand here or there" instead of ignorantly throwing it away. The fools soon parted from their money are the ones that have to settle for less car than they want.

I am very tight with my money. I do NOT buy cars, unless I can pay cash. I don't like debt. So yes - every $1 makes a difference to me.

I am buying the car (LegacyGT) - for a couple of reasons.

I think saving $4k -$5k for a 09 GT vs. an 08 Spec B. makes sense to me.

However, you are right it is a want - but it is also serving several needs.

One of the worse feelings in the world (for me anyway) is driving a new car off the lot. Because I know I just pissed away 10-25% of my money as soon as I drive off. Cars do NOT hold value very well. They are an expense not an investment.

Since I am tight with my money - it never made sense to buy expensive cars (BMW, Audi, etc.). I am not denying they are nice cars - but paying over $40k for a car is not in my budget. If I can't pay cash - I don't buy.

The car has another purpose - my work requires me to meet some high-net worth clients. I need more of a sedan and NOT a drive up in my current Blue WRX. I know that sucks - but that is life in my business.

I want the best car for the money - the Legacy GT (IMHO is that car).

Of course all of the above is my opinion. I am just very very tight with money.

I can aford to drive the car even with higher gas prices. That is something that I have had to come to terms with - for now.

So here is the bite.

My trade in value looses the guarentee rate of $13,300 at the end of the month. Edmunds has trade in at $12k. So I loose about $1,300 by the end of the month.

Here is the rub.

The 09 GT will NOT get to my dealership until July (he just called - nothing is coming before the June.) After June he can not garruntee the trade-in value and according to Edmunds and Subuaru trade in value it is currently $12k.

So my out of pocket cost would increase $1,300. from $14,522 to $15,900

I can currently get the 08 Spec B for $19,300 (with a $13,300 trade in after taxes).

So here is the math.

09 LGT $27,000 (trade in after June $12k) after taxes = $15,900 cash.

08 Spec B $31,000 (trade in now $13,3) after taxes = $19,300 cash.

Now the dealer said I could always try to sell my WRX, which I could - but that is also time and money. And then dealing with people that usually do NOT have the money to pay $13-$15k out of pocket. Another hassle.

Maybe I should list my WRX 04 for $15k and see if I get a bite!

Regardless the difference to me is $3,400 between the two (cash out of pocket).

Hmm...just doing the math and thinking....

welcome comments.

Archived