LegacyGT.com

VF40 18g dyno results

collegemt

Just because the boost is not dialed in perfectly is not his problem.

I've tuned a VF40-18G at sealevel and I know what it can do and can't do. I would not tune the turbo that way but that's not the problem.

Everyone was talking about tightening the wg arm and increasing boost. That's not going to solve the problem of low acceleration.

I didn't say it was his only problem, it is just one of them. I isolated this because boost scaling is about the easiest thing to do therefore I questioned the rest of the tune. The last thing I would do is increase boost, he is at high altitude and 17psi is fine.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tune an auto vs a manual then come back and talk to me.....:rolleyes:

roll a manual out from a dead stop at 700 rpms. you tell me the manual doesn't do the exact same.

last i checked the engine was the exact same. you aren't tuning the tranny.

roll a manual out from a dead stop at 700 rpms. you tell me the manual doesn't do the exact same.

the 5EAT wont start making close to full spool until about 3200 rpm whether you have a vf40 or a 20G. thats just the way it is.

some 5MT vf40's can get full spool by 2800 rpm. try doing that in a 5EAT:rolleyes:

Ok your right, I really don't feel like debating it. Find me a stock turbo 5eat that will match my full boost of 2550 in third gear in 70 degree temps and I will eat my words.

the 5EAT wont start making close to full spool until about 3200 rpm whether you have a vf40 or a 20G. thats just the way it is.

some 5MT vf40's can get full spool by 2800 rpm. try doing that in a 5EAT:rolleyes:

let me get this straight.

you generalize the 5eat as a whole and state it doesn't make full boost till 3200 but then go on and say SOME m/t CAN get full spool by 2800? and you wanna roll your cross eyes at me?

way to make up stuff.

the engines are the EXACT SAME. tranny's don't make boost. or is there some magic tuning formula in the land of cross eyes?

let me get this straight.

you generalize the 5eat as a whole and state it doesn't make full boost till 3200 but then go on and say SOME m/t CAN get full spool by 2800? and you wanna roll your cross eyes at me?

way to make up stuff.

the engines are the EXACT SAME. tranny's don't make boost. or is there some magic tuning formula in the land of cross eyes?

Simple answer torque converter...... Now I am done

Are you two done yet?

someone generalizes and i ask for an explanation. i get nothing.

i do like boobies though.

i do remember people were falsely saying the 5eat has more lag from a stop.

then it goes to some tangent statement about full boost in 3rd gear.

The tuner seems to think that a different pill size will increase my boost in the lower RPM's. I sure hope so.

Low end boost is not your problem. In your 50-80 mph, how much time is spent below 3500 rpm? I'm going to guess zero. The one area where the VF40-18G shines over the VF40 is the 50-80 mph range.

Besides if your tuner wanted more lower end boost, all he has to do is increase WGDC. You're not bumping into your WGDC limit. You only need to change to a smaller pill if you are bumping into the maximum WGDC.

If it was me, I would use a stock VF40 actuator and a 2008 LGT restrictor pill and the I would completely retune boost. I would ditch the 15 psi actuator.

I would also stick with the AVCS schedule that is best suited for the VF40. Remember that the hotside is the same as the VF40. Did Deadbolt clip the turbine wheel?

Low end boost is not your problem. In your 50-80 mph, how much time is spent below 3500 rpm? I'm going to guess zero. The one area where the VF40-18G shines over the VF40 is the 50-80 mph range.

Besides if your tuner wanted more lower end boost, all he has to do is increase WGDC. You're not bumping into your WGDC limit. You only need to change to a smaller pill if you are bumping into the maximum WGDC.

If it was me, I would use a stock VF40 actuator and a 2008 LGT restrictor pill and the I would completely retune boost. I would ditch the 15 psi actuator.

I would also stick with the AVCS schedule that is best suited for the VF40. Remember that the hotside is the same as the VF40. Did Deadbolt clip the turbine wheel?

What about the stock VF46 actuator?, thats all I got.

Thanks for all your help. Let hops I can get this to work.

Take it to revolutions then.

If things don't pan out with MAC this morning you should definitely have Revolutions tune it before you take the turbo off and go back to stage 2. I would have no doubt Adam at Revolutions will be able to get your ride running right. Good luck.

What about the stock VF46 actuator?, thats all I got.

Thanks for all your help. Let hops I can get this to work.

I was just giving you my opinion on how I would control boost. Your problem is not boost even though it could be better managed.

I don't have a VF46 so I don't know what the rating of the actuator is, but from the handful of logs that I have seen, the VF46 actuator the same.

So I went back to the tuner, its better but not great. 310 hp and 310torque. It just builds boost alot slower than the stock turbo. It does offer alot more up top, 4k on up. I will be taking it to the drag strip soon, if the reults are worse than my stage 2 setup I am going to revoltuions for a tune.

Mac didn't charge me for another tune, so I was happy. The tuner said he will search the net and see what he can find to make this turbo build boost quicker.

Overall I think MAC isn't a bad shop, very nice group of guys. They just don't seem to have enough expirence with the legacy style turbos and newer CAN/BUS systems.

torque converter is locked up

Yup, the reason you won't be able to see boost that soon on a 5eat is because of the quick jump in RPM's rpms from the converter doing its thing. If the engine doesn't have load on it well before 2800rpms it won't see boost that soon.

• 3 weeks later...
So I went back to the tuner, its better but not great. 310 hp and 310torque. It just builds boost alot slower than the stock turbo. It does offer alot more up top, 4k on up. I will be taking it to the drag strip soon, if the reults are worse than my stage 2 setup I am going to revoltuions for a tune.

Mac didn't charge me for another tune, so I was happy. The tuner said he will search the net and see what he can find to make this turbo build boost quicker.

Overall I think MAC isn't a bad shop, very nice group of guys. They just don't seem to have enough expirence with the legacy style turbos and newer CAN/BUS systems.

any more news on the setup issues?

Well, I took it to the strip and pulled a faster time with this turbo, which is good. However, I am going to sell the turbo and TMIC for upgrades in the future. I think with a better tune it would have been a great turbo. It pulled so nice up top.

Well, I took it to the strip and pulled a faster time with this turbo, which is good. However, I am going to sell the turbo and TMIC for upgrades in the future. I think with a better tune it would have been a great turbo. It pulled so nice up top.

What did it run? Traps before and after the turbo?

Too bad this didn't work out...weird.

Rehab is for quitters.

What did it run? Traps before and after the turbo?

My best time stage 2 with TDC e tune

was a 14.55 @ 96mph, but I averaged 14.8's

With the VF40 18g turbo my best time was a 14.20 @99.5mph, but I was averaging 14.4's. at 99 and 100mph traps.

Oh yeah and this at 5800ft elevation.

So you can see it offers a lot more topend power.

dont be disheartened, i only made 330wtq and 325whp on a 20g w/ a fmic and a bunch of other crap 21 psi tapering to 18. The only thing thats strange about your dyno sheet is im over 300wtq from 3500-6000rpm, yours barely touches it, it should be there by 3000rpms and then fall on its face. However, Im sure she rips pretty good

06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

Archived