LegacyGT.com

Personal Record for MPG in an LGT.

I haven't checked the MT wagon for a while, but just took the AT sedan 2400 miles. MT-AZ-MT with ac on most of the time, using the sport mode on the hills in Utah and over the pass out of Idaho, set with the cruise control a couple of miles above the speed limits, and the final number on the carputer was 29.1 mpg. Two adults and a trunk full of stuff, too. Unwaxed, too. Filthy, in fact! All those bugs must create some drag.

i got approx 32 from philly up to nyc and back...had it in cruise control the entire highway section at 65 mph. I don't know if i'd be able to do that again though, especially when someone pulls up next to you egging you on. It takes a lot of self control not to floor it and teach them a thing or two about the LGT. :lol:

Has anyone seen an increase of MPG after stage one or two mods? I would think the elimination of the cats and a better tune could help. Granted the car is driven and not raced. Let me know your feelings or findings.

Thanks

Raini

Love you all !

Car Full. 3 people + more luggage than at O'Hare Int'l. Gas Tank full. Flat terrain. This is about 20 miles post fill-up on my way home from Minneapolis. It did taper off to 30.7 after a while as the traffic got heavier and I varied the speed. On cruise control obviously.

IMG00405.thumb.jpg.2ccc90052ecdc8e2e7d3fcf19d012adf.jpg

IMG00404.thumb.jpg.11f218a11c2a7dda07cfde2ca9edcf16.jpg

IMG00403.thumb.jpg.ee4a2e76aa0a8a4933c545fc650340de.jpg

IMG00402.thumb.jpg.77d82f34665d79ee50fe898243866321.jpg

i hit 20.1 mpg and i was cheering... (although i did punch it a LOT this tank)

indicated 30.6 mpg. gotta love big injectors mucking up your indicated mpg readings.

car for sale. PM me!

Funny, I just did an MPG experiment driving from Sunnyvale to Fresno and back (in the Miata).

Coming over I ran the speed limit (65MPH). . . got 35MPG. Coming back, my usual 10 over (75-80MPG) . . . 26MPG.

So speeding has a built-in $6 cost these days. On a 150 mile trip that $6 saves about 20 minutes . . .

^ It may just be where you live. That's about what my wife gets but she's been asking everyone around here and everybody's mileage sucks. Even econocars only usually get ~25mpg at best. The traffic patterns just suck for fuel mileage.

Try keeping your car in motion when approaching stopped traffic (ie stop signs/lights).. Example, I'll creep along trying to anticipate when a lights going to turn green so that I'm not coming to a complete stop, you'll see semi trucks doing this a lot..

It actually makes me pretty mad to see someone accel towards stopped traffic, only to slam on the brakes & floor it when the traffic starts moving again..

I tried an experiment this last tank of gas to see the highest mileage I could get on my normal commute which is a combination of stop-and-go, freeway and 2 lane highway. I typically get 22-23 mpg (trip computer), but by shifting at 2k rpms whenever possible and never exceeding 65mph I managed to get 26.7mpg on the last tank...

not bad...

Try keeping your car in motion when approaching stopped traffic (ie stop signs/lights).. Example, I'll creep along trying to anticipate when a lights going to turn green so that I'm not coming to a complete stop, you'll see semi trucks doing this a lot..

It actually makes me pretty mad to see someone accel towards stopped traffic, only to slam on the brakes & floor it when the traffic starts moving again..

My advice to you is don't drive anywhere near the tri-state area:lol:

I always laugh when they put stories on the news with recommendations for fuel savings. Usually it's impossible to do what they suggest because you'll get run off the road.:rolleyes:

My advice to you is don't drive anywhere near the tri-state area:lol:

I always laugh when they put stories on the news with recommendations for fuel savings. Usually it's impossible to do what they suggest because you'll get run off the road.:rolleyes:

This isn't a gas savers tip from the news, friend..

An object in motion carries an energy, when it's stopped, you have to recreate that energy from a stop, which is less efficient. If you keep the object moving, it's easier to maintain it's energy, hence more efficient. In this instance it's also less stressful on your brakes from the unnessesary stopping motion. All I was really saying was to slow down when you encounter traffic.

Secondly, some advice for you. You make a lot of assumptions. I'm not the typical misinformed driver, lacking road ethics/manners, and causing wreckes when behind the wheel. I find typical drivers, and traffic patterns are very predictable. I drive aggressively, and always in control of the area around my car.

Then you dismissed me because you assume any tip on fuel economy is derived from the news & that it's misleading information, which isn't smart either.

If you grew up driving in NY/NJ you've said enough..

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was dismissing you. I was actually half joking. It just sounded like the same regurgitated crap I hear every night on the news lately. I drive my truck like that as much as possible but when I attempt it in the Legacy I have every retard in an SUV with a cell phone glued to their head, cutting me off to make the next turn.

I agree with you about idiots speeding to red lights. In my younger days I was one of those idiots:redface:

Aodhan,

I hear ya. I live in Bellevue, and I've never gotten over 26mpg and that was all freeway driving at 70mph. Most of my commute is freeway, and when I'm driving conservative ('I' mode, no big accelerations, keeping it around 60mph), I can pull about 24-25, when I start getting aggressive, that falls to 20mpg. I think it's the sh*tty Seattle weather that keeps our cars less efficient?!? I've never come close to 30+ mpg like some of these people.

Who here has notice better MPG after you lowered your car?

I know I did.

i didnt because i switched to stickier tires at the same time...

however i did some testing over the weekend also on my long drive and found that i get better gas mileage at 90 then at 80 :lol:... significantly. mpg for 90mph was avg. 27 while another 100mile stretch at 80 was 23.5mpg.

peak tq ftw?

"i like my women the way i like terrorists...

...screaming gods name and ready to explode."

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5479/troy3nu5.jpg

I get 21mpg on my regular 15 mile commute which is 60% rural (55mph, 4 stopsigns) and 40% city (25-35mph, 5 or 6 stop lights)

On a recent highway run of 150 miles each way I got 31mpg going 65mph (the limit) and 26mpg doing 75mph. All my freeway driving is now 65mph. Another run to the same destination the week after confirmed 31mpg each way.

Now I'm looking at switching my commute to using the freeway, or using a different country lane that has less stopsigns. My current route is the shortest, but maybe a slightly longer route with much better MPG would be better overall...?

peak tq ftw?

Try running in 4th at 65mph, see if that's any better... :lol:

Seriously, though... My acceleration technoque is based upon the theory that the torque peak is the most efficient part of the rev range, so I always acclerate witht he engine revs at TQ peak, but with as little pedal as possible.

If I accelerate at a rate that takes me 30 seconds to get to 55mph then the MPG guage shows 14.5mpg all the way. If I accelerate with light pedal pressure at the TQ peaks then I get 7.5mph for 10 seconds, then 35-37mpg for the rest of the time at 55mph.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a '05 Legcy GT Ltd sedan with 84K miles (100% stock, no performance mods). I filled up at the local station and took a trip to the coast and back (I had a power washer and a large toolbox in the trunk, no other passengers). The driving was probably 50% highway (65 mph), 30% secondary roads (55 mph) and 20% city driving.

Round trip was 202 miles. I filled up at the same station and pump when I returned (fill until the auto cut off on the pump- no topping off).

I calculated the MPG based on the miles and fuel used and it came to 31.5- a personal record. The computer said 30.3 MPG. My typical mileage is about 22-25 mpg.

Here's how I did it:

1. Accelerate very slowly - I probably stayed out of turbo boost almost the entire trip.

2. Drive smoothly- as if driving on ice- (try to drive as if you have no brakes)

3. Use cruise control when you reach your target speed.

4. Coast when safe and appropriate- Manual 5 speed transmission- down brigdes and hills and up to red signals, etc.

5. Windows up at highway speed- AC on 78

6. One window down in town, AC off

7. Slow down- go the speed limit or a couple mph below, stay in the right lane to allow faster traffic to pass.

One old lady did pass me in a minivan at a stoplight. I noticed however that most people are driving a bit slower now- maybe I just slowed down to notice-LOL.

Funny thing, I actually felt much more relaxed at the end of the drive- I had good music and didn't worry about getting in the mix with everyone.

After 80 miles of backroad driving at 60ish mph, I got 31.2 mpg. I couldn't keep my foot off the gas though so I averaged that tank right down to 27.5 as per the computer and calculated manually at my last fill up.

I get 20 MPG on average and about 28 MPG on the freeway. Thats with driving the piss out of it as much as humanly possible in S# until my fuel light comes on, then I set it to I while I look for gas. Hey, if I was going for MPG I would have purchased a diesel VW rabbit or something.
^ n00bs below this line

Archived