LegacyGT.com

looking for some ideas

KAG

I recently bought a 2000 Legacy L Sedan that I couldn't pass up. It was the only one around my area in my price range, and the only one with a 5MT. It's immaculate with less than 70,000 miles on it and I simply love it. I'm a nutcase when it comes to babying my cars - I'm running 91 octane, K&N air filter, Castrol Full Syntec, and washing/waxing as much as possible.

I'm looking for anything I can do to enhance the looks and performance. I mainly want to try to bring it as close as I can to the GT. It may sound a bit ridiculous but I'm ready for anything. Not on too big of a budget.

Here are some of the possibilities:

Hood from a Baja Turbo or find one off a B4 online

GT side skirts

Upgrade to a Limited-Slip Differential & 4.444 gears instead of 4.111

Install fog lights

Upgrade headlights to GT or Outback headlights w/ black housing

Set up tweeters in the doors

Upgrade suspension (what's the difference between L and GT?)

If you can help me out in any way, I'd appreciate it. Send me your thoughts, ideas, tips, links, anything.

Let me know if there's anything else that differs mine from the GT

Thanks

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is more and more now available for the BE chassis.

When you say GT are you referring to the BE series GT?

Might as well save your money on gas, 91 Octane is a waste in an NA.

Put injector cleaner in once a month and you'll be just as clean.

Searching will be fun and informative.

O.

Might as well save your money on gas, 91 Octane is a waste in an NA.

Can someone tell me what the base tune for USDM N/A's is for? Octane wise i mean. In Japan it's 100RON, and the minimum you should ever use, is 95RON (the ECU's can retune themselves to reduce knock). This applies to N/A's just as much as turbo's, cause they run a much higher compression, instead of something like 8.5:1, it's more like 9 or 10:1

I would imagine the USDM subies are more tolerable to lower octanes, but i would never ever consider anything less than 91 octane. IMO, 87 or 89 is pure 100% engine suicide.

USDM NA models base tune is for 87 Octane or as they call it here Regular.

O.

Will try to find a link to a very informative explanation of octane.

• 2 weeks later...
Osei I wish my 96 OB was set for what we call regular here in the states. But according to my owners manual it 91 or 92 octane or better. OH YEAH I just "love" filling up :mad::nono:But for as good as Subi's have been to me I guess it's all worth it. After all with my last subi my mechanic told me my regular work is what most call major overhauls.

T Taylor you are one of few that have the 96 with the 2.5 engine.(it's first year). The auto required premium while the manual had the 2.2 and did not.

:redface:

O.

I'm looking for anything I can do to enhance the looks and performance. I mainly want to try to bring it as close as I can to the GT. It may sound a bit ridiculous but I'm ready for anything. Not on too big of a budget.

Here are some of the possibilities:

GT side skirts

Install fog lights

If you can help me out in any way, I'd appreciate it. Send me your thoughts, ideas, tips, links, anything.

Let me know if there's anything else that differs mine from the GT

Thanks

im in the same boat as well, just did some pullys, CAI and new links, also installed the JDM L7 grill.

pm me some time.

03 BH

Mods: Group A Alt & Crank Pullys and end links,

CIA, JDM L7 Grille, JDM HID lights, JDM rear tails

Stromung CBE, KYB GR2's W/ H&R springs.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Yeah, it turns out premium gas isn't worth it after all with the NA motors. I put regular in it for the first time and I saw slightly better throttle response. Probably because like Osei said, the cars are tuned for regular.

As far as my mods have gone:

Not worth it right now. The only thing I can do is buy a Baja Turbo hood and paint it, which comes out to at least $400.

GT side skirts

Decided I don't like them. I may decide to pull some off a GT a little later down the road from a wrecking yard then have them painted, but I like the look of mine right now.

This is a definite upgrade. I came across something the other day that made me jump out of my seat. I have 4.111 gear ratios and no LSD. An 00-01 Impreza 2.5RS w/ a 5MT has 4.111 gears, WITH AN LSD. Same with an 02-03 WRX w/ a 4EAT. All I have to do is pull the LSD off either one and bam, Limited-Slip.

Install fog lights

$188 from subarugenuineparts.com I'll probably do this before winter. I was also thinking of getting an 03-04 bumper w/ fog lights already in, could be worth it.

Done. Pulled some off an 03 Outback, all I had to do was split the wiring from one to two since the new headlights had two separate bulbs

Done. Wiring was already there. Cost me $30 on ebay.

The L models had softer suspension, which I like. It's more comfortable, but isn't as good as the GT stock springs. I might go with some H&R's sometime soon, as well as KYB GR-2 struts.

are you sure the differential's are the same between the 2?

Thanks for all the feedback.

This is a definite upgrade. I came across something the other day that made me jump out of my seat. I have 4.111 gear ratios and no LSD. An 00-01 Impreza 2.5RS w/ a 5MT has 4.111 gears, WITH AN LSD. Same with an 02-03 WRX w/ a 4EAT. All I have to do is pull the LSD off either one and bam, Limited-Slip.

03 BH

^^ nice info, do you happen to have any more info on the wiring you had to do to put the GT lights in? i may be ordering some JDM ones

03 BH

The harness on the headlights didn't match up to the harness that came from the car, so what I did was I clipped both harnesses off and just crimped the wires together. I used a test light to figure out which wire was the high beam and which was the low.

My advice would be to see if you can get the harness that comes from the car with the headlights. The problem with the way I did it is now I cant take my headlights out, I have to re-crimp them if I want to take them all the way out.

If you know a bit of wiring it should be very simple. It took around a half an hour, and was definitely worth the upgrade.

The harness on the headlights didn't match up to the harness that came from the car, so what I did was I clipped both harnesses off and just crimped the wires together. I used a test light to figure out which wire was the high beam and which was the low.

My advice would be to see if you can get the harness that comes from the car with the headlights. The problem with the way I did it is now I cant take my headlights out, I have to re-crimp them if I want to take them all the way out.

If you know a bit of wiring it should be very simple. It took around a half an hour, and was definitely worth the upgrade.

yea i figured that, just some ppl on here are making it out to be worse than it is. why didn't you use some male/female connectors?

03 BH

Osei do you mean I might have a small bit of a rare setup under the hood ????? OB is a major upgrade in stock HP for me :)

96 was the first year for the Legacy OB here. It was also the first year for the 2.5L engine. see www.cars101.com . the programming was for 91 octane. Since then it was reprogrammed and tuned for 87. Rare, i guess you could say so. Collectible, not AFAIK.

O.

Osei i have a question for you!

on cars101 it states that L automatic transmission: app 90/10 front/rear power split electronically controlled

can that be adjusted electronicly to 50/50 or close to?

03 BH

^90/10 is where it operates, in theory, when just cruising on a dry, flat, straight road. If the wheels slip you get up to a 50/50 split. It even changes the bias a bit when you go around a turn. The AT system isn't built to handle 50/50 all the time like the MT.

Archived