LegacyGT.com

Subaru Legacy STI rumored to have 450 hp

albeik

^ as I have (reference to the drive comparo) and I do own an E30 325 which is fine in its own right (and probably one of the most nimble 3-series ever made).

But, compare a 3..xi (which is only somewhat fair to the 3-series as its not symmetrical AWD) and the comparative gap in handling widens (IMHO) in favor of the LGT. And, the 3xi series utilizes BMW's xDrive system with a separate drive shaft forward to the front differential, and the whole system is dependent upon braking the spinning wheel on both open differentials to provide AWD traction (no LSD), so traction/handling to the LGT.

you live in san diego, why would you even want to buy an AWD vehicle except for maybe the occasional ski road trip in the mountains. I live in LA now and this legacy is prob going to me my last AWD vehicle. Plus i'm tired of changing tires in sets of 4 at a time and i hardly drive into the winter mountains here. Otherwise i find having the AWD pointless at the cost of handling and fuel economy.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you live in san diego, why would you even want to buy an AWD vehicle except for maybe the occasional ski road trip in the mountains. I live in LA now and this legacy is prob going to me my last AWD vehicle. Plus i'm tired of changing tires in sets of 4 at a time and i hardly drive into the winter mountains here. Otherwise i find having the AWD pointless at the cost of handling and fuel economy.

Because I'm a die-hard Subaru fanatic and have been since 1973/74 time frame. AWD is all about active safety on the road, dry and wet and especially in the torrential downpours that we get here in SoCal. I hit the mountains every snow and with my active lifestyle, kayaking, camping, backpacking, I can get in to places that I can't get in to with a 2WD (front or rear).

I'd really need two vehicles otherwise (with all the extra, associated costs) and who needs that when one fits the need very nicely. And wrt changing out sets of tires 4 at a time, almost every manufacturer today recommends changing out the "set", not just 2, so perhaps that's a moot point.

BOT - would really like to see an upgraded Legacy STI with all of the bells and whistles. They'd sell every one they could build.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

They could probably get 325hp out of the 3.6 *without* turbocharging. I'd say that would be pretty good, but, considering the competition, not outstanding.

I'd much rather have 450, or even 430. My Legacy GT at Stage II was a hair (a very slim hair) faster than the previous M3, so if Subaru wants to keep up, they need to be pushing 400 to meet the new M3. I'd be happy with 400, because I know it would have boatloads more torque than the M3.

There is no reason as to why Subaru CAN'T produce this, but it is a matter of IF. IF they feel like the brand is recognized/respected enough in the US to warrant that step up. IF they want to keep their performance oriented customers growing out of WRX/STI's and into BMW's. IF they want a halo car that would effectively outshine the Impreza STI and confuse the idea of WRC racing as the halo. This would be negated if a true sports car came out and was used for WRC like a Ford RS200 or Lancia Stratos.

In 03, I really hoped that this Legacy would be their way to step up and hit more of the masses which gains that brand recognition/respect. Didn't happen, so maybe in the next round. WRX popularity begat the STI for the U.S. Legacy GT popularity will do the same.

400 hp is reaching. Most people aren't leaving an STi for a new M3. They are going to 335i, 135i, lexus is350. I dont think the LGT needs to have 400hp to compete. It has a proven AWD system, all it needs is 325-350hp and some bells and whistles for the dash strokers. Keep the weight down throw in 6th OD gear and you have yourself a very nice car.

But is it easy to get that 400chp with low spool rpm, easy driveability, and 100,000 mile+ reliability?

Not out of the H4, due to the fact that you're deriving 100 HP from each cylinder. But imminently doable with a reasonably boosted (but built) H6, where the HP loading per cylinder is 33% less.

Check this link to Jeff Sponagle's efforts in PacNW here at about 22 psi: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1215617 and

PDX Tuning/Jeff Perrin's efforts here at about 16 psi: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=959768

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I had read the Perrin thread a while ago. The H6 has so much more potential than the H4, especially now that the H6 is 3.6 liters. I wonder if Perrin or Sponaugle plan to build up a 3.6? If I remember correctly, Perrin's final numbers were around 600 hp (and similar torque) for the 3.0.

Heard about the Aussie's Liberty (Legacy) tuned by STI? Only 260 hp!!! :) Yeah, so 450 hp seems a lot far-fetched to actually make it to market in NA.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/10/australia-gets-market-specific-subaru-liberty-gt-tuned-by-sti/

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/06/au_lib_sti_450_05.jpg

This should be our new Spec B. BTW, Canada no longer has a Legacy GT for 2009.

thats 260 on an H4. We are talking H6 here so the h4 is irrelevant.

I wasn't talking about what the engines can be made to achieve, but rather what Subaru is likely to market.

We know the h4 can achieve much higher than 260 hp and 258 tq. So the 'special' Liberty tuned by STI seems fairly tame. This leads me to believe that Subaru would be unlikely to market a 450 hp Legacy, h4 or h6 being irrelevant. :)

I fully expect my Stage 2 08 LGT will exceed the power and torque of the 'tuned by STI' Liberty by a significant margin. Time will tell.

Heard about the Aussie's Liberty (Legacy) tuned by STI? Only 260 hp!!! :) Yeah, so 450 hp seems a lot far-fetched to actually make it to market in NA.

That's 260 on the automatic. The manual gets 280. (or is that Japan only?)

Not out of the H4, due to the fact that you're deriving 100 HP from each cylinder. But imminently doable with a reasonably boosted (but built) H6, where the HP loading per cylinder is 33% less.

Check this link to Jeff Sponagle's efforts in PacNW here at about 22 psi: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1215617 and

PDX Tuning/Jeff Perrin's efforts here at about 16 psi: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=959768

SBT

Both of those builds are sweet :)

Archived