LegacyGT.com

First logs..Not sure if they are good or bad

Ridgeracer

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Timing curve needs some smoothing in the 5400-5800 rpm band. Both logs show timing being pulled in that area. Granted the IAT's are in the 80-100 range, but still unless there is heatsoak involved you should not be pulling any timing, certainly not that far past peak torque. Judging by the wgdc, you are pushing the turbo to keep boost up top, and the LT trims at -3% could be contributing to the pulled timing? But with it only not liking it in that narrow band, leads me to believe it is just a tweak of the curve in that specific area.

Sidenote: The maf scaling seems off? With a 50lb/min turbo, it only shows g/sec #'s indicative of a vf40.

What are your idc's looking like?

Boost also is not being accurately displayed.....What logging software are you using?

Using RomRaider to log. Yup I have a 49lb/min turbo. Reason for the wgdc begin higher up top is because the wg was overported by the previous owner. I have a 16lb actuator but at the sugguestion of the tuner, he thinks I should switch to an 18lb actuator. I can log the idc next time. Anything else I should log during a pull?
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

You should log with romraider.

You can log mrp corrected using ecuexplorer but you need to activate it.

Don't log IDC. Just log IPW. What intake are you using? Log MAFv.

I would use merchgod's learning viewer to check your FLKC table. Some of that timing pulled looks like FLKC. Some of it is FBKC.

You should just post the csv file. It's easier to manipulate. Use www.box.net or post a thread on www.romraider.com.

Boost also is not being accurately displayed.....What logging software are you using?

Its capped at 18.4 psi because of the standard SSM parameter that is selected. That is a limitation of the specific parameter, not the ECU or the logger. You should log "Manifold Relative Pressure (Corrected)" for up to ~22 psig at sea level. If you need more than that, then log "Manifold Relative Pressure (Direct)" (only available in romraider) which has no effective limit. This last one will make the assumption of sea level atmospheric pressure (the ecu deals with absolute pressure for boost control), but will match your target boost tables in romraider which also make the same assumption for relative pressure (psig).

Its capped at 18.4 psi because of the standard SSM parameter that is selected. That is a limitation of the specific parameter, not the ECU or the logger. You should log "Manifold Relative Pressure (Corrected)" for up to ~22 psig at sea level. If you need more than that, then log "Manifold Relative Pressure (Direct)" (only available in romraider) which has no effective limit. This last one will make the assumption of sea level atmospheric pressure (the ecu deals with absolute pressure for boost control), but will match your target boost tables in romraider which also make the same assumption for relative pressure (psig).

Agreed:)

I actually picked up a peak/hold boost guage to ballpark my target psi's of 24-25psi on alky, and 21-22psi on pump 93.

Ok downloaded the learning viewer but do I need to download my protune into the laptop to correct the axis problem? Do I have to do seperate pulls with each program? Finally in RomRaider it has two selections for IPW (IPW 1, IPW2).....should I just log both?

Almost forgot....should I even try and switch to an 18lb actuator to help maintain boost vs. the 16 lbs actuator?

Sorry for the million questions. I'll do a few more pulls on my way to work in the AM and post up then. thx again for all the help/advice..

Sorry for the delay. Took another set of logs. Here is the link.

http://www.box.net/shared/lyjcn7tkc0

Do you have a WBO2? You should get one as soon as possible.

IMHO, that's not a good tune. A little bit too much knock in the high load regions.

Your MAF is scaled funny. It's lower than stock. I have only tuned one AVO LGT intake and it was a LOT higher than stock. I would need to see the whole tune to see if the funny scale is acceptable. You can get away with a funny scale if the injector is scaled correspondingly off.

The problem with playing games with the MAF scale is that it affects the load scale. Since your MAF scale is telling the ecu that it is flowing less air then the load will be artificially low. An artificially low load will tell the ecu to run more timing. In the low load region (< 1.2 g/rev), we normally run the stock timing. If your load is off then you will run more timing. This might explain the -5.6 and -2.8 in your FLKC table.

The turbo itself seems to be fairly good considering its origins.

Agreed on tuning the MAF scale correctly. Sure you can get away with it not, but then everything else in yout tune is also funny.

There is no reason why the MAF cannot be scaled properly, our ECUs don't have a 300 g/s limit (just gotta change one table for that) and tuning the MAF is not all that hard, especially with some of the new tools made available by the OS guys.

Yeah these logs don't look great at all. What are you running for boost control as well, aftermarket EBCS, stock BCS or boost controller? I see problems with fueling, timing and boost control a bit. The intake scaling is really off and as other have stating that in turncanl throw the entire tune off. Log with the learning tool and post a screen shot.

Sorry to highjack Ridge but what parameters on Romraider did you log.

Noob in training.

Just log the same parameters that I logged in the attachments. Also download the learning viewer from RomRaider to see FLKC.

Thx again all for the help. I want to do just one more pull since I forgot to log IPW. Am I forgeting something else.

BTW...I don't have a WBO2 sensor. Still really a noob when it comes to tuning.

mickeyd2005 or anyone else.....about the turbo. Would it be a good move to go from a 16lb to 18lb actuator to get more boost?

Yeah these logs don't look great at all. What are you running for boost control as well, aftermarket EBCS, stock BCS or boost controller? I see problems with fueling, timing and boost control a bit. The intake scaling is really off and as other have stating that in turncanl throw the entire tune off. Log with the learning tool and post a screen shot.

Prodrive BCS....bought the turbo used but previous owner overported the wastegate. One of my links included a copy of my learning viewer log. Did I do it incorrectly?

Just log the same parameters that I logged in the attachments. Also download the learning viewer from RomRaider to see FLKC.

Thx again all for the help. I want to do just one more pull since I forgot to log IPW. Am I forgeting something else.

BTW...I don't have a WBO2 sensor. Still really a noob when it comes to tuning.

mickeyd2005 or anyone else.....about the turbo. Would it be a good move to go from a 16lb to 18lb actuator to get more boost?

If the WG was overly ported I would look into possibly an EWG setup. You don't want to keep going u and up in WG spring pressure as you are losing the ability for the ECU to drop boost in case trouble arises.

Good point. I guess I can live with what its putting out but just want to get this tune safe at this point. I'll log one more time so we can see what my IPWs are. Did I log FLKC correctly with Learning Viewer?

An external wastegate on this turbo can only be a good thing.

I am curious about the injector scalar. Can you do a log at 30-60 g/s in 5th gear but stay in closed loop? This log will be difficult. Basically, you would have to drive really fast at constant throttle. Log the following:

rpm

load direct (g/rev)

maf (g/s)

afr #1

afr correction #1 (%)

afr learning #1 (%)

ipw direct (ms)

latency (ms)

manifold absolute pressure (psi)

The file size might be large. The more the merrier. Just winzip it and post it on box.net.

What injectors do you have?

Good point. I guess I can live with what its putting out but just want to get this tune safe at this point. I'll log one more time so we can see what my IPWs are. Did I log FLKC correctly with Learning Viewer?

Yes it is correct, your LTFT's are all over the place and you are pulling lots of timing in the WOT load cells. Honestly a new tune should be in the plans for you. You really might want to look into an EWG it would benefit your setup greatly, especially with a poorly ported IWG setup.

FWIW A wideband is not only a tuning tool, it is a great thing to have to monitor your AFR's to go hand in hand with datalogs. As you can see, even going to a claimed 'professional" tuner results are not always as peachy as they seem.

An external wastegate on this turbo can only be a good thing.

I am curious about the injector scalar. Can you do a log at 30-60 g/s in 5th gear but stay in closed loop? This log will be difficult. Basically, you would have to drive really fast at constant throttle. Log the following:

rpm

load direct (g/rev)

maf (g/s)

afr #1

afr correction #1 (%)

afr learning #1 (%)

ipw direct (ms)

latency (ms)

manifold absolute pressure (psi)

The file size might be large. The more the merrier. Just winzip it and post it on box.net.

What injectors do you have?

Couldn't log the profile above. Just not enough open road in the direction to work when travelling from Brooklyn to the Bronx.....Will do this weekend when I head up to CT...

Did another pull which includes IPW, load, inj. latency, A/F(not that it matters without WB) ...at WOT. Silly question...Still trying to understand what I'm seeing. When my car starts pulling timing are you all refering to how the total timing dips down from 3500 rpm to 5100 rpm. If alot of the basics are covering over at Romaider, forgive me for all the questions. Also did another log of learn viewer.

http://www.box.net/shared/lyjcn7tkc0

I might have missed the answers to the following, but I'll ask them again anyway...

What type of injectors do you have?

What is your atmospheric pressure?

-7 FLKC is terrible. Even if it is not dangerous, it would drive like crap. when you cross over from 4000 to 4100 rpm, the timing would suddenly plummet.

Archived