LegacyGT.com

what do u think about the 300C??

well, i came across something interesting last nite. i was sitting around, bored, and browsing some random car forums as i always do, wen i came across 300cforums.com. now, i havent read mcuh about the 300c, but wen began reading some threads about their races, i was amazed:eek: . these people are talking about walking on MB C32 AMGs, and giving EVOs a run for their money...my question is what do u guys think of the 300C, performance wise (the Hemi powered one of course). 340 hp, 390 tq, and they claim it is "on top of the 4door sedan food chain". my question is...stock for stock....a 5spd LGT vs a Hemi powered 300c...what do u think wud be the outcome? for the longest time i didnt think the 300c wud be that fast, considering it seems to have a curb weight comparable to alaska. but it seems that these guys are running low 14s in the 1/4th, some even claiming into the 13s stock....

just thought id start up a discussion, see what other ppl thought :cool:

I think on paper the 300C sounds pretty decent if you like that size car.. The biggest problem with it tho.... NO MANUAL OPTION on the hemi! No where that the hemi is offered is there a manual tranny. The original hemi is rolling in its grave :) And if you get AWD theres definetely no manual - as the system is the same as the MB and sadly they have all but gotten rid of manual trannys :( even the MB mclaren POS is just a regular old auto tranny... maybe a bit beefed up :)

If it aint manual its just not for me :)

Jeff

The Hemi v8 might have a lot of power, but it weights around 4000 pounds. Even if its fast thats a lot of weight to bring to a stop and turn. Just go stage 1 or 2 with the LGT and you will be fine :) Not to mention our cars look much better and handle better. Can't stand how big that car is or that huge grille, to each his own I guess.

300C is okay, the SRT-8 is fantastic. Handily beats the LGT in all performance areas. Just because it is heavy doesn't mean it can't handle. then again, for the cost of almost two base LGTs, it had better be decent!

Price:

GTO: around 34 K

CTS-V: 51,295

SRT-8: 43,295

Weight:

GTO: 3765

CTS-V: 3875

SRT-8: 4190

0-60 times:

GTO 5.0

SRT-8 4.9

CTS-V 4.7

Quarter mile:

GTO 13.3 @ 107.5

SRT-8 13.2 @ 108.1

CTS-V 13.1 @ 109.8

Braking 60-0:

GTO 121 ft

SRT-8 113 ft

CTS-V 111 ft

200 ft skidpad:

GTO 0.85g

SRT-8 0.88g

CTS-V 0.90g

600 ft slalom:

GTO 63.6 mph

CTS-V 66.8 mph

SRT-8 67.3 mph

I would never consider one, I hate the looks, I hate the interior, I would never drive an auto and I don't like huge engines. Yes I'm a hater on American cars in general with few exceptions, Z06.

Song of Post- Sizzla- Good Load of Herb

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

Not really my style, but I think it's fairly fast in a straight line. From a roll it should beat the GT pretty easily.

The SRT-8 has great numbers and has gotten good reviews. It's heavy but that never stopped an S4. I'm considering getting the Magnum SRT-8 if it performs as well as the 300 version. At first the lack of manual was a big turnoff, but with that much power at your foot the auto might be just fine.

I test drove one at a Crysler test drive seminar and I really wasn't that impressed with it. It really didn't feel any faster than my 92 Maxima SE but then again I'm used to driving a manual and power transfer isn't as noticeable in a automatic. The handling wasn't that great either although the interior was nice.

They had a CTS there as it's competition and that to me felt like the better car all around.

I'm in the Navy, serving on a submarine, and spent most of last year languishing in the Persian Gulf. While we were out there I came across a huge stack of various automobile magazines, and reading those is what made me decide to buy a new car when I got back. The car that I was most excited about and almost positive that I was going to buy was the 300C. I was also thinking about maybe a 3-series BMW or maybe even a Audi. There was also a small article in one of the magazines about the LegacyGT, which looked interesting to me, but I thought it was probably too underpowered. However, since there is a Subaru dealership about a block from my house I decided to test drive the LGT first. I was surprised with how impressive the car was, but I was still set on the 300C, so my next stop was the Chrysler dealer. The time between my test drives of the LGT and the 300C was about 30 min, so I think I got a pretty good comparison of the two. Basically, after driving the LGT the 300C felt unresponsive and sluggish to me. Keep in mind, I was in love with that car, I even had pictures of it up in my rack, but after that day I had to reevaluate which car I wanted. The Legacy just felt better in every respect than the 300C, and when you add in the fact that is is AWD and I live in CT (nice blizzard we're having right now) my decision was pretty much made for me. Final verdict on the 300C, nice looking car (IMO), buy the Legacy.

The real interesting additions will be the SRT-8 versions of the Magnum and Charger sedans.

An SRT8 Charger seems like the sport sedan version of the line...

The Chrysler Firepower uses the same Hemi V8, with the automatic, or possibly the Viper's 6MT. That is likely what will be the Vette (non-Z06) competitor.

Handling makes much more of a difference to me. I'll take a Legacy GT over a 2-ton block of steel. An STi Legacy would be even better.

I am not an american car h8tr. I am glad they are finally becoming really competetive again. I am glad to see that American cars aren't getting panned anymore as being also-rans against the Europeans and Japanese.

I am just much more into the european car idiom of modest weight, good-to-great handling, and enough power to be really fun, but not overkill from a too-heavy engine. I won't be buying a sedan or a sportscar for the quarter mile, so cubic inches aren't the end all, be all to me. Just my opinion.

I was all set to buy a 300C. I had two brochures (the regular one and the big, fancy one) and was waiting to sell my Grand Marquis. Then, just to be complete before dropping $30k, I decided to drive a LGT too. You see what I bought.

To those that say the 300C doesn't handle: Did you even look at the test results??? A skidpad of .88g's is damn good, and the slalom of 67.3 mph is right up there with many "performance" cars. People get so hung up on the weight that they think the car must not be able to do anything.

I'm used to the weight thing though. Go ahead and get me started about my Stealth's "poor" abilities at 4070 lbs with me in it...

John, the original question was about the regular 300C with the Hemi, not the SRT-8 version. In mag tests, the regular 300C was slower than the GT in the slalom, and the suspension was said to be set up more for comfort than performance. The SRT-8 is a whole different beast entirely. Acceleration, braking, and even slalom and skidpad are very similar to the STI. And that's from an automatic with plenty of interior room and creature comforts, obviously zero turbo lag, and no boy-racer image. An impressive package if you ask me! Now I'm anxious to see if the Magnum SRT-8 has similar numbers. For some reason the Magnum RT has tested quite a bit slower than the 300C, even though there is only ~100 pounds difference.

The 300C was on my short list along with the LGT. I test drove one in the fall on a rainy day and while it was fun breaking the rear end loose on every corner, I felt that would've been stopped being fun after a couple of rainy days...

The AWD verison had not come out yet, and the dealer markup was $14,000! So I quickly crossed it off the list. After a year or two with my completely practical and pedestrian Subie, and the initial 300 hysteria dies down, I'll take another gander. One unknown is whether these cars will have the same (lack of) quality as other Chysler products.

Archived