LegacyGT.com

Radical Solution to Seatbelt Buzzer

Took my car to get a service done and asked if there was anything they could do to shut up the annoying seatbelt buzzer. Service rep said it was a safety issue and they couldn't do a thing. Had tried several times, without success, the seatbelt connect/disconnect sequence posted in this forum.

Bottom line is I finally got fed up w/ the damn thing this evening and started disassembling my car to find the darn thing. Bad news is it's mounted directly to a circuit board inside a sealed container.

Here is what I ended up doing. I cut a hole in the container, found the nefarious buzzer and plugged it w/ a hot glue gun, then hot glued the whole shut and reassembled my car. The buzzer now is just a faint beep that can hardly be heard over the engine idle.

It's not the cleanest job, but that thing drove me crazy and I just had to get it done.

Here are some pics of the little devil.

604010233_CircuitBoardContainer.jpg.7b892efe32567b804b2998ceb29f4bd7.jpg

1005305561_InsideofBox.jpg.9db0d37dda33d38ae4611163d15c099a.jpg

1671956982_PluggedHole.jpg.56762ab8d50cb1213eab08fe03bf080d.jpg

That poor poor buzzer. I'm surprised the little click/unclick thing didn't work for you. Oh jeez I hope I don't have to do that again when I get my car back, whenever that may be.

Song of Post- Steel Pulse- Macka Spliff

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

That poor poor buzzer. I'm surprised the little click/unclick thing didn't work for you. Oh jeez I hope I don't have to do that again when I get my car back, whenever that may be.

Song of Post- Steel Pulse- Macka Spliff

Since you got to the buzzer why didnt you just destroy it?.... Like stick some needle noses in it and start going to town?.... in any case good job... unfortunatly I lack the mechanical know how to even attempt something of this magnitude... I can put gas in and rotate the tires....

Took my car to get a service done and asked if there was anything they could do to shut up the annoying seatbelt buzzer. Service rep said it was a safety issue and they couldn't do a thing. Had tried several times, without success, the seatbelt connect/disconnect sequence posted in this forum.

Bottom line is I finally got fed up w/ the damn thing this evening and started disassembling my car to find the darn thing. Bad news is it's mounted directly to a circuit board inside a sealed container.

Here is what I ended up doing. I cut a hole in the container, found the nefarious buzzer and plugged it w/ a hot glue gun, then hot glued the whole shut and reassembled my car. The buzzer now is just a faint beep that can hardly be heard over the engine idle.

It's not the cleanest job, but that thing drove me crazy and I just had to get it done.

Here are some pics of the little devil.

Did you try buckling your seat belt??? :lol: :lol: Everytime I buckle mine the noise stops. :rolleyes:

i wear my seatbelt all the time anyway, but i still don't need the car to tell me that. It was more frustrating that it was so quick after turning it on.

Originally the seatbelt thing didn't work, but i tried and tried and got it a little later. It just takes some patience....

In the time it probably took to cut and rip that thing out i have no doubt the disconnect would have worked. Somehow i do not think the Subaru techs would all know how to do it, and the safety feature is a good point, i doubt the dealer would allow them to anyway.

Typical stealership

Wow...at least you did something about it. I really wouldn't mind the blinking indicator, especially the passenger one to stay lit. I usually check to make sure my passenger has their seatbelt on, but occasionally one slips by me (usually my dad) and I have to yell at them. The light would be nice to keep, but get rid of the stupid dinging. It drove me crazy when I'm warming up the car and trying to get my cell phone hooked up, etc.

I dont know why it gives some guys such a hard time. I went outside and it worked for me first shot. Took about 20 seconds. I'll tell you this Subaru could have avoided the whole seatbelt thing if it were'nt for the damn RE92's :lol:

Not that I'm condoning this, but another option might be to ground the wire leading to the seatbelt latch. According to the schematics, that's all that's needed.

We always wear our seatbelts anyway, but I might still try this so that I don't have to ever hear the buzzer/chime thing when it relates to seatbelts.

I dont know why it gives some guys such a hard time. I went outside and it worked for me first shot. Took about 20 seconds. /QUOTE]

Well, initially, took me dozens of attempts, but now I'm finally able to do it after 3-4 tries. Only problem is, it keeps coming back. Like somebody says, it may have something to do w cold weather (it was -20C last time it came back).

Not that I'm condoning this, but another option might be to ground the wire leading to the seatbelt latch. According to the schematics, that's all that's needed.

Any idea if this interferes with the in-seat airbag sensor? I am having issues disabling the beep after it came back on during the cold. For the record, we always wear are seatbelts, but that chime is annoying......if I have the car on while working on it it chimes away.

I didnt work for me the first few times then I realized I was turning the key to far... Off is only one click back>>> No chime now.

Crap...that's what I was do'n wrong.......I can't wait to hit it up again now.

And yes, I wear my seatbelt, but when I'm driv'n to the mailbox, or like 10 feet away, or warm'n up the car......DING DING DING.....I'm ready to Hot Glue :lol: that damn thing....

I also had rediculous amounts of trouble trying to use the big thread for instructions...

I figured it out on my own before I ever got upto the page where they clarified that you only do the process once...

As far as turning the key too far... I turned it from ALL THE WAY OFF (as in the position you put the key in when you first get in the car) to full on (without going far enough to engage the starter.) clicked/unclicked 20 times... to FULL OFF (as in the position you put the key in when you first get in the car)...

It worked perfect...

Here's my write up... If you follow the directions exactly there will be NO problems.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6210

I wouldn't recomend anyone follow the directions in this thread... No offense...

Like I said: I unseccessfuly tried the disconnect sequence and it didn't work for me. When it did work it was only a one time deal. The next time I started the car it would kick back in.

Its not an issue of whether I wear a seatbelt or not (I do). The buzzer is simply too annoying and consistent.

When I went to work on my Suby I was hoping I could find the little bugger and simply disconnect it like I had done on my old 325i BMW. By the time I had the car disassembled and realized it was in the seald box and soldered to a circuit board, I was committed to finishing the job and didnt want to turn back.

As I titled the thread this is a:"Radical Solution!"

Exactly.....if you follow the instructions....takes less than 5 minutes.

It is too bad that Subaru thought it was necessary to have that TOTALLY annoying chime though.....

They could have put a little speaker that plays "Its a small wonder"; that would make me drive off a cliff.

Where is this box with the dinger in it anyway??

Archived