LegacyGT.com

New Purolator Pureone Filter - Now with grit

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some of us don't have a Subaru dealer near by and would like a more convienient inexpensive option that can be had locally.

Oh, ok, I mail-order virtually all my parts. It's a pain to drive to the

local dealer, they act like jerks when I show up, and they overcharge me.

The folks at subaruparts.com (as well as subarupartsforyou.com)

couldn't be more pleasant to deal with, and sales tax pretty much pays

for the shipping, never mind the lower cost for the parts themselves.

So I'll just buy a dozen filters to last a few years ...

• 1 month later...
From the response I got back from Purolator, they are working on correcting the problem. I've been watching them in the stores and the "free roaming" grit seems to be much better than it was before. IMHO, they should add plastic cover to the opening of the filter to prevent any contamination. You could also use a Mobil 1 filter or K&N filters as well. They will provide excellent protection(but at a slightly higher cost) Otherwise a Napa Gold is always a good choice at a reasonable price.

• 5 months later...

to resurrect an OOOOOOOOOOLLLLDDDDDDDDDDDD thread...

I am running this filter now and I would say the problem is resolved. I did not see any grit inside the filter.. this should be a vast improvement over the craptastic honeywell that has replaced tokyo roki's black filters from the dealership.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

• 7 months later...

Just a question that I have been bouncing around in my head.

I like the purolator pure 1, but due to the highly efficient filtering capacity (99.9%), does this affect oil flow at all? My thinking is that oil flow is diminished due to the filtering ability, so at high rpms, there is a lot of pressure built up within the oiling system and within the oil filter itself... No?

I wonder how Purolator is able to achieve such high efficiency without restricting the oil flow? Fram's website shows their standard orange filter (that I would NEVER use) to be at about 95% efficiency, so even the standard Purolator filter is better than the Fram. And at 99.9, the Pure1 blows it out of the water!

Sometimes, it's more complex than that, i.e., internal valving (or not), valve pressure relief settings, media, surface area versus media, etc. With all of the oil pressure controlled/lubed devices on these engines, e.g., engine internals (obvious), Oil cooler journals, AVCS (pressure activation), Turbo, and sandwich adapter for the gauge pack, my preference is to go with a Subaru OF that is designed with these operating parameters in mind. I'm not confident that AM filters provide me with that level of engineering. And this latest Purolater looks like it introduces additional particulates into the oil stream to lodge where/bork who knows what because of it.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I run PP10w30 during wintertime using PureOne filters and the wear levels have been great. As a matter of fact when I was running the OEM oil filter I had silica show up in the analysis, which is basically dirt contamination. I say there's absolutely no issues running PureOne. The grit issue seems to have been fixed, I've scrutinized the last 3 filters and the grit was not even close to contaminating the inside.

That being said, it doesn't mean OEM are not great filters and if you're more comfortable using them because they were specced for the Subie, go with it.

When I bought my car (new, something like 6 miles on it) I drove it on the factory fill for 1k miles, took it back to the dealer for my freebie oil change, drove to 3k miles, oil changed with dino 10w30, then upgraded to synthetic 10w30 at 5k miles. I run Valvoline, so far it has been great, I'm at 11.5k miles and actually plan to change again today. In about 40k more miles, I will bump up to 10w40.

• 1 month later...
I say there's absolutely no issues running PureOne. The grit issue seems to have been fixed, I've scrutinized the last 3 filters and the grit was not even close to contaminating the inside.

That being said, it doesn't mean OEM are not great filters and if you're more comfortable using them because they were specced for the Subie, go with it.

+1.

However, be sure to take the extra second at the store to check that you've got one without the problematic "gold flakes!"

In three of my local Advance Auto stores, they still have old stock (which, BTW, they should've pulled and returned to the manufacturer)! :eek:

Besides, it's always good practice to check that what's in the box is actually what it says it is, on the box, too. ;):)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I did that with a special for 5 quarts of synthetic and a fram tuff guard filter. I showed the store manager that the fram tough guard was unsuitable for use due to the black-spec contamination (this was so thick on the filter gasket that it looked like I was getting fingerprinted after I touched it). I told him I saw several others on the shelf like that, and that I'd like to switch to Purolator PureOne.

Archived