LegacyGT.com

rut roh, something is making noises (w/ Video for your enjoyment)

j255c

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I were in your shoes and was gonna replace the tranny with another I'd go STi tranny. I'm not super rich either and if the car had no other drivablity issues I'd put some ear-plugs in, and deal with the noise 'till I had the money+time to piece together all the parts.

^ i was thinking that, but an sti swap is going to be 5k+, and at that point id prefer to just sell my car and get an sti. Im going to learn to drive her a little easier i guess and go with the used transmission. Im still very surprised that this happened though because all of my gears are fine, no grinding no nothing, something else in the case failed. Im going to get a used one and tear it open on my own time. Paying the mechanic to tear it open and replace parts will be more expensive.
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

im amazed how you guys are still in disbelief when we put my car on a lift and saw/listen/and looked at the entire under chassis of my car and u dont believe me. But ok its a heatshield rattle.

It's not that we don't believe you. We just chose to selectively ignore you... By the way did you check for any heatshield rattles? You should try to look and listen under the chassis of the car... :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's not that we don't believe you. We just chose to selectively ignore you... By the way did you check for any heatshield rattles? You should try to look and listen under the chassis of the car... :lol: :lol: :lol:

f u :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

k transmission in process of being taken apart. Destroyed center differential and final gear.. still breaking it apart though ill keep the fanboys posted :rolleyes:

EDIT: Mods if you want you can move this to transmission/drivetrain subsection.

I took it to the track once. I never launch.But since 30k id drained my trans fluid twice and the mechanics both time told me there were a lot of metal shavings on the drain plug. I've been told i shift awfully hard, i believe i just shift quickly but who knows. The ACT clutch definitely killed it fast though :lol:, it may have been slowly deteriorating but that thing never slips. Going to have to be a little less aggressive on it. There was a single 1 2 shift that made it really start sounding badly afterwards.

k transmission in process of being taken apart. Destroyed center differential and final gear.. still breaking it apart though ill keep the fanboys posted :rolleyes:

EDIT: Mods if you want you can move this to transmission/drivetrain subsection.

definitely a heatshield rattle.

I've put i think about 8k miles on it since the 20g, 2k w/ the ACT clutch. About 50,000 on my ride. I have a rebuilt lgt transmission sitting on the side from an independent reseller, if the price of rebuilding mine exceeds his offer I will just replace it with that one.

Dont let this deter you from upgrading, im young and drive the snot out of this car :redface:. I've autox'ed atleast 15 times.

There are a lot of people on this board with a lot more power than i was making so maybe i just got unlucky or need to be nicer to my tranny.

the verdict:

Carnage pictures :spin::icon_surp

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/c0lbyj/IMG_0925.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/c0lbyj/IMG_0927.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/c0lbyj/IMG_0930.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/c0lbyj/IMG_0931.jpg

...no but seriously it was a heatshield rattle.

on a side note it makes me happy to know that the gears can handle the power, but the output shaft and center diff i dunno

I took it to the track once. I never launch.

Dont let this deter you from upgrading, im young and drive the snot out of this car :redface:. I've autox'ed atleast 15 times.

:confused:

alot can change in 10 minutes, huh?

Glad you got everything worked out.

lol

Archived