LegacyGT.com

Coil-over recommendations

Golf4283

So I am looking into getting a set of coilovers but honestly there are way too many to choose from and I am confused. I have an 08 3.0R legacy and want to lower the ride and improve handling. I am set on coilovers so no talk about pinks or any other springs. How are the tarmac 1's that are in the classified section. Also there are tein and megan racing. It's just a big mess and for what I want I am not sure. I want a still pretty comfortable ride but know I will be giving that up for the lowering.

If anyone can help that would be great. I would like some recommendations.

One week later and I'm switching from BC to RCE Tarmac 1's. The BCs simply don't have enough travel to deal with the pockmarked roads here in OH, much less the horrible Chicago roads (I'm there every weekend). Just my $.02, YMMV.
Kyle "BlackHole"

I've been to your hood and have never seen worse roads then Tri-State/NYC. I ride on BC's daily for almost 1 year now and have no problems. I :wub: them as well both on the road and on the track. It's not bone-jarring to me. My wife hates it though. There do seem to be more compliant (read: softer) coilovers out there. You can always go to softer springs too on BCs and Megans.
________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

If you run zero to very little pre-load on the Megan's you will not give up any comfort. They are cush, very adjustible and recommended. I've only been on them two weeks so can't speak for the long term reliability.

i'm running on tein flex coilovers. for california highway roads it is a little on the bumpy side. but the part that sold me on this set is the option to buy the EDFC so you can adjust the damper setting from inside the car. I'm sure there are other, better, options out there for track use, but if you just plan on driving around town and some spirited driving on the mountain curves, i'd reccomend you to get these.

i'm running on tein flex coilovers. for california highway roads it is a little on the bumpy side. but the part that sold me on this set is the option to buy the EDFC so you can adjust the damper setting from inside the car. I'm sure there are other, better, options out there for track use, but if you just plan on driving around town and some spirited driving on the mountain curves, i'd reccomend you to get these.

I have these too and agree. I don't think they're too bumpy though; they feel very balanced to me... but have been very good at the road courses I've been to

I'm running KW V.2 and they have a very smooth ride. I have mine set at a 1/4 above max height. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/172352.jpg

I have 19's so they are alittle bigger then stock.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

i definitely dont want stock ride height. The front of my car sits way way too high.

They can go about 2" lower.:eek: My wheels don't rub even with my fat friends in the car.:)

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Yea Im just realy confused. The BC are super adjustable and the tarmacs are soft and less adjustable. The megan racings sound good too. This coilover situation is frustrating. I just want something simple that lowers my car, improves handling, and doesn't create a tin box that bounces down the road like a honda civic. and I definitely want coilovers.

KW also make a version for racecomp. Check vendor section.

I ride on BC's daily for almost 1 year now and have no problems. I :wub: them as well both on the road and on the track. It's not bone-jarring to me. ... You can always go to softer springs too on BCs and Megans.

Great to hear that works for you. Everybody has different personal taste, there is no right or wrong answer. I'm running the softer springs but still find the MR/BCs to be bone-jarring over potholes and bad pavement. Columbus can be bad, but some of the roads I drive on in Chicago look like craters on the moon.

The best advice I have to the OP is to find some local LGT members who have different suspensions and go for a ride.

Kyle "BlackHole"

Great to hear that works for you. Everybody has different personal taste, there is no right or wrong answer. I'm running the softer springs but still find the MR/BCs to be bone-jarring over potholes and bad pavement. Columbus can be bad, but some of the roads I drive on in Chicago look like craters on the moon.

The best advice I have to the OP is to find some local LGT members who have different suspensions and go for a ride.

:whore:

Number of clicks of adjustment doesn't really mean much.....it's the quality of the valving and the RANGE of the valving.

If you any questions, let us know!

- Andrew

I can't find my instuctions. Which way do you turn to make them stiffer?:)

Now I'm reading about these KW coil overs. I think I need boostjunkie'e help here. I have been reading a lot of posts and he seems to be the man on Coil overs.

I thought I heard my Batphone ringing ;):lol: From what you posted in this thread, I think the KW's would be a great choice for you. As itsme said they are very comfortable while imparting a fantastic sense of composure and responsiveness to the car. Overall they are my favorite coilover for the LGT.

I happen to have a couple sets in stock right now. No waiting for shipping from Germany. PM me if you would like a set or have any other questions.

Im on KW's and they ride pretty comfy. I have about a two finger gap of space. No more dip when im launching and i feel like im glued to the road.

And I know where you got your KW's too ;)

BTW Sean, give me a call at the shop tomorrow. Need to figure out a time to do the UTEC experiment on your car, or I can try another work around with the AP.

Archived