LegacyGT.com

It's a little thing, but...

Did anyone else notice that outside temperature display seems to consistantly read 3 degrees higher than every one of those road side bank signs? Based on reports from the local news, I tend to side with the bank signs for acuracy over the Outback. Anyone else notice this? Anyone know if it can be recalibrated by the dealer?

~Scott & Nadia

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic

225/60HR16 BFG Traction T/A's

haven't noticed that....but then again i don't drive by too many banks with that type of sign on a daily basis. If anything i would expect those large signs to be off. There used to be one where i lived previously which would get messed up every now and again and read something foolish like 92 degrees on a day when it was snowing and very cold!

I have an Oregon Scientific thermometer set-up with an outdoor remote sensor. It read 14 this morning. I went out the the car and started it up to let the heat and seats come up to temp....the car readout said 15.

Guest JessterCPA
They tend to do that- I think it's because the sensor is located next to the radiator.

My wife's TSX is dead on. Perfect reading.

I don't think they are accurate unless you are moving. However mine seems to be accurate enough that I've not noticed any significant discrepancies.

I agree you need to be moving, if you are just sitting the car will be off most likely based on where its sitting. After 5 minutes it should be pretty close on and I notice it to not be too far off against other temperature gauges.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

I've seen bank signs that have said 90F when it's 70F out.. Why would they be reliable sitting 10-15 ft in the air baking in the sun, when your air temp sensor is 8" of the ground and moving through air and a high rate of speed.

You could have a thermometer sticking out your window and the real air temp could be 3 degrees from outside your window to the sensor on your car.

Archived