LegacyGT.com

When was the current-gen Legacy first seen?

I remember finding this forum in early 2004, and the then "new" current Legacy had already been released in Japan, Australia and Europe.

I remember that north-american manufacturing of the current-gen Legacy lagged for quite a bit of time behind the availability of Japan-built models in world markets.

I am trying to find out when we will be able to see official info and pictures of the next-gen Legacy, presumably a 2010 model in North America. For example, could it be released as a 2009 model in japan?

Then how come Gran Turismo 4 lists a Spec B as a 2003? I am assuming this is the JDM version as that would naturally be the first market for a new model and it is the current gen body style.
It is still ugly.

Subaru now releases US and Japan models at just about the same time...

This is true for Japan-built models (Impreza, Forester). But I remember there was a fairly long delay between release of Japan-built Legacys and the start of production of the Legacy by SIA

Someone who was around this forum in early 2004 might remember this better than I do.

Alternately, is there a way to search this forum for 2004 messages?

2002 was the year the BL5/BP5 came out in Japan. So it was 3 years before we saw them.

Does this mean that the current Legacy (selling from mid 2004 in NA) was already out at the end of 2002 in Japan?

If the time lag between Japan intro and start of US manufacturing is that long, and the next-gen Legacy is not out yet in japan, could this mean that even the 2010 NA Legacy would still be on the current model?

The BP/BL Legacy came out in Japan in 2003. The US Legacy arrived mid 2004. I got my car on 7/3/04. I ordered it from my dealership without ever test driving it because it hadn't been released yet. I ordered in May 2004. From my understanding, Subaru will now be releasing models simultaneously in the US and Japan. No more 1 year lag. So Japan will actually be getting 1 more model year out of the BP/BL design (6 versus 5) for this cycle. Then will be 5 year cycles again.

nope. At least the 1 year delay allowed for some bugs to be worked out b/c we weren't technically getting the 1st model year of the car.

Plus Japan has the 2.0 twin-scroll and the N.American market got the 2.5L.

Was 2003. whether it actually first appeared as the 03 model at the end of 02 though, i have no idea. It's been the longest run of any legacy model, which is great, cause IMO it's the pinical of it's range! If the latest offerings and concepts from subaru are anything to go by, the new ones' going to look like a sack of s***

Fingers crossed that the 5th gen stays as stylish as ever and is going to be the best looking subaru ever, and not some ordinary japanese average clone :confused:

you mean ( Toyko Auto Saloon in Sept) 2008? The new model is a 2010 which should be released mid 2009 (if they keep to form). So any early looks would be in 2008.

I would like this very much, as I could then decide if I am trading mine for a 2009 or waiting for the new model in 2010.

In 2009, the Tokyo Motor Show will be held from Oct 23 to Nov 8. It is a biennal event:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Motor_Show

http://www.autoindustry.co.uk/news/22-04-08_9

Is there a alternate event in 2008?

Archived