LegacyGT.com

Subaru planning another S402

SlightlyEvil

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but that 2.0 could safely rev up to 9k and the 2.5 cant. Also the STi is suposed to be based off the rally car and the rules for rally were no motors bigger then a 2.0.

Trust me I have a counter point for anything you can throw at me :lol:

... but the 2.0 rules were only for World Rally, not US Rally. US allows 2.5 liter engines.

Yes, the 2.0 could rev higher, but it had to in order to wring the power out of it. Though Japan has higher quality fuel, thus they can run higher compression in the 2.0 in Japan than we can in the US versions.

That's one thing that drove the release of the 2.5 here.

If Subaru wanted to, they could build the 2.5 to rev higher, but they haven't felt the need to, as the 2.5 gives more torque lower in the rev range.

If they built the 2.5 like they did the Japanese 2.0, we would have a decided power advantage. I don't think they want their home market overshadowed by the US market.

I think this thing is going to be a lightweight! If I am correct, the specifications on the web site state that the 6mt dry weight is 1460 kg or approximately 3220 lbs.

That IS a lightweight compared to the current Legacy GT @3400+ lbs. and the Spec.B @ 3530 lbs.

The current lightest Legacy is the 2.5i w/ manual @ 3270 lbs.

I wonder why it is that expensive. How much was the LGT Tuned by Sti? This engine cannot be that much more expensive than the engine in the Japanese Sti. My guess is that in the event they decide to bring this car to the US, they will use a single scroll turbo like that in the Sti to keep the price down.

They are pricy because they are meant to be a "collector" item... special edition at the end of the model life.

They would not/could not charge as much here, simply because of the brand/model recognition (or lack of it).

• 2 weeks later...

:eek::eek::eek:

2010 Subaru Legacy (Liberty) details

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/sedans/2010-subaru-legacy-liberty-details/

The engines will be available in both turbo and naturally aspirated guises. The entry-level 2.0L engine should develop around 200hp, while the a turbocharged 2.5L unit will output close to 300hp. There have also been rumors of a new Legacy STI in the works, which could be carrying a turbocharged 3.7L unit pumping out over 430hp.

'07 Forester STI (ECS Performance)..SOLD!

'09 Spec B...Sold!

'11 LGT Limited...Sold!

'17 STI Limited

Great find, Jeff. If they bump the base engine to 200 hp and the 2.5 turbo up to 300, this will bridge the gap in performance with the 335xi, G35x, etc. As for a 3.7l turbo, looks like Subaru is eyeballing Nissan's Godzilla Skyline GTR. Hopefully if they pull this off, they will keep the weight down since the Skyline is quite heavy for such a performance beast. Also, hopefully I will be making enough money to afford one of these STi's since they will definitely be in the $50k+ price range.

SubieDriver - they will most likely have to modify the bore and stroke on the 3.6 in order to turbocharge it since the compression ratio on the current 3.6 is too high for reliable turbocharging. They will most likely decrease the bore and increase the stroke slightly in order to increase the wall thickness in between the cylinders. The thickness in the current 3.6 is pretty much as narrow as it can be.

Good question. I do know that the changes would be minimal - maybe they could change the diameter of the crankshaft to increase the stroke. Either way, my chances of having a stroke would increase if they ever produce this engine!! Would sound like a 911 turbo.

Great find, Jeff. If they bump the base engine to 200 hp and the 2.5 turbo up to 300, this will bridge the gap in performance with the 335xi, G35x, etc. As for a 3.7l turbo, looks like Subaru is eyeballing Nissan's Godzilla Skyline GTR. Hopefully if they pull this off, they will keep the weight down since the Skyline is quite heavy for such a performance beast. Also, hopefully I will be making enough money to afford one of these STi's since they will definitely be in the $50k+ price range.

SubieDriver - they will most likely have to modify the bore and stroke on the 3.6 in order to turbocharge it since the compression ratio on the current 3.6 is too high for reliable turbocharging. They will most likely decrease the bore and increase the stroke slightly in order to increase the wall thickness in between the cylinders. The thickness in the current 3.6 is pretty much as narrow as it can be.

no way subaru is aiming for the GTR, just dont see it

Yeah, Subaru doesn't have the bank account for that, but they could definitely make a more affordable, slightly less capable gran touring sedan for those of us who can afford one. (Well, I could've, until I bought my Tribeca...)

• 5 months later...

Well, other than the fact that the S402 is now official, and in production for Japan only, no updates. Can't get them here. Maybe by the time they're on the S407 they'll come here...

Here's an article that says they were due to go on sale on June 27th:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/15/jdm-goodness-subaru-legacy-sti-s402/

I'm sure they're sold out by now. They were probably sold out before production started.

Archived