LegacyGT.com

Spec-b Bilsteins vs Megans vs Bilstein HDs - My Review

LowFast

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

stock/tein s-tech : rides like stock / pretty low, but I remember the front was slightly higher, didn't like that / floats on freeway.

MR coilovers : start making serious noises after 7-8 months, no installation problem / one of the struts broke after 1 year and 1 month with it on / great adjustablility / ride may be too harsh sometimes, but thats what you get for handleing.

bilsteinHD/RS*R : perfect in height(low enough, car is perfectly flat with the front slightly lower) / great ride / good balance and control for DD.

stock/tein s-tech : rides like stock / pretty low, but I remember the front was slightly higher, didn't like that / floats on freeway.

MR coilovers : start making serious noises after 7-8 months, no installation problem / one of the struts broke after 1 year and 1 month with it on / great adjustablility / ride may be too harsh sometimes, but thats what you get for handleing.

bilsteinHD/RS*R : perfect in height(low enough, car is perfectly flat with the front slightly lower) / great ride / good balance and control for DD.

RS*R ?

so if I wanted to upgrade to HD's on my 2.5GT would I just be able to get struts or do I need all the parts that the KingofParts deal has in order to do it.

You pretty much need the entire package as you need the Spec B (or Bilstein style) tophats. I forget if the spring seats are different. You could re-use your stock bolts, but it's good to have a spare as I found out. Before my Bilsteins I just had springs and the installer screwed up a bolt which I could not re-use when installing the Bilstein set up, so a spare really comes in handy. Good deal over at thekingofparts. Plus, they take subie bucks. You can get them on here for $75 on the $100 or if you have a subie mastercard, get them yourself. (note: the bucks can have any name on them, but must have the same name per transaction) ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody tried HD with cobb springs? It has more drop in front than progress, but rates almost the same.. Will it work ?

I plan to replace stocks + cobb with HD's with some springs, not decided yet. Curious if I can use cobbs.

There are no bad people, just differeent.

Does anybody tried HD with cobb springs? It has more drop in front than progress, but rates almost the same.. Will it work ?

I plan to replace stocks + cobb with HD's with some springs, not decided yet. Curious if I can use cobbs.

The cobb springs are specifically designed for stock struts. Just to let you know.....I personally loved the appearance that the the cobb springs gave my last LGT sedan, but noise wasn't all that great, but what do you expect with aftermarket springs and stock struts.....

I've had noise, but recently installed silencers from cobb (they sent them free of charge), noise was gone. But still, want to move to HDs..

^ Interesting, good to hear you at least got rid of the noise because I remember that being very annoying....

My bilstein/pink setup is pretty nice as far as handling is concerned, bumps and potholes are rough, but with 18s that is expected.....

I wished the front end wheel gap was closer as well. I thought about swapping the front springs with swifts.....just to close that gap (purely aesthetic reasons of course)

^ If I remember correctly, the swifts have simliar spring rates to the pinks but are a little shorter.

Coilovers are a bit harsh for me. I do prefer the bilsteins.

Pinks are 10% stiffer than stock springs, Swifts are 20% stiffer than stock. That is a considerable difference. If the car had 4 degrees of body roll on stock springs, it would have 3.6 degrees on Pinks and 3.2 on Swifts. That is excluding the reduced weight transfer due to the lower CoG.

The swifts dropped my car very evenly using normal GT top hats. I would put the drop at closer to 1.5" F&R, although I have not measured.

Coilovers are a bit harsh for me. I do prefer the bilsteins.

^ I'm curious about Tein Comfort Sports. They are only 5K front and 6K rear, plus adjustable. I bet they ride very nice. I rode in a WRX with Flex and although way too firm at the hardest setting the lightest setting wasn't that bad. A tad firmer then may JDM GT REV A/Swift combo, but more controlled. I'd imagine the Comfort Sport version for the GT would be a very comfy set up.

^ I have conserns about front gap too, wouldn't like it increasing too much, comparing to a cobbs.

BTW, i stil thinking about tein basic coilovers, instead HDs.. As far as i read about them, they will be as good as HDs in handling and firmness (or i am wrong?) , but you can adjust height, which I really like. They cost less , will save me $200-$250 for other mods. I drive about 10K miles per year on LGT, so $40K life span won't be a problem.

What do you guys think? Does it worth to go with basics instead of HDs?

Pinks are 10% stiffer than stock springs, Swifts are 20% stiffer than stock. That is a considerable difference. If the car had 4 degrees of body roll on stock springs, it would have 3.6 degrees on Pinks and 3.2 on Swifts. That is excluding the reduced weight transfer due to the lower CoG.

The swifts dropped my car very evenly using normal GT top hats. I would put the drop at closer to 1.5" F&R, although I have not measured.

Thanks for the info. I don't mind if its stiffer as long as they pair up well with the Bilsteins.

Do you think that the swifts are a little too aggressive for daily driving, or are they just right?

I am also looking at the pinks, but not sure if the drop would be even with them. They are obviously less aggressive than swifts, but not sure how they would look coupled with koni struts/shocks.

Do you think that the swifts are a little too aggressive for daily driving, or are they just right?

I am also looking at the pinks, but not sure if the drop would be even with them. They are obviously less aggressive than swifts, but not sure how they would look coupled with koni struts/shocks.

I did, until I discovered the increased rebound stiffness actually improved comfort. Now I would say that the Konis on full soft made the car feel like stock... terribly UNDERdamped. 1 full rotation (50% stiff) has given me, hands-down, the most comfortable ride. No more jarring discomfort, only a firm but supple ride with very little impact harshness and much tighter body motions during accel/brake/cornering. I am looking forward to going beyond my current settings, but I need a few more days to get used to it as-is.

Regarding Pinks and ride-height... If members report an even drop with Pinks/Bilsteins (thus Bilstein top hats) than on Konis the front would look low by ~.3"-.4", again, based solely on the reports of others.

^ I have conserns about front gap too, wouldn't like it increasing too much, comparing to a cobbs.

BTW, i stil thinking about tein basic coilovers, instead HDs.. As far as i read about them, they will be as good as HDs in handling and firmness (or i am wrong?) , but you can adjust height, which I really like. They cost less , will save me $200-$250 for other mods. I drive about 10K miles per year on LGT, so $40K life span won't be a problem.

What do you guys think? Does it worth to go with basics instead of HDs?

Tein Basics are going to be firmer than HD's. If I got any Teins, they'd have to be adjustable which rules out the basic.

I did, until I discovered the increased rebound stiffness actually improved comfort. Now I would say that the Konis on full soft made the car feel like stock... terribly UNDERdamped. 1 full rotation (50% stiff) has given me, hands-down, the most comfortable ride. No more jarring discomfort, only a firm but supple ride with very little impact harshness and much tighter body motions during accel/brake/cornering. I am looking forward to going beyond my current settings, but I need a few more days to get used to it as-is.

Regarding Pinks and ride-height... If members report an even drop with Pinks/Bilsteins (thus Bilstein top hats) than on Konis the front would look low by ~.3"-.4", again, based solely on the reports of others.

That's what I thought, I figured the pinks would need Bilstein top hats to even out ride height. I think that I am eventually going to end up getting the Swifts and start off on the 1 full rotation with the konis like you have right now, and see how I like that as a daily driver. I will also keep reading up on your adjustments and your impressions on those.

Thanks a lot for all of the valuable information you have provided. I feel more comfortable knowing what I can expect if I do go the same route you did.

Archived