LegacyGT.com

Legacy Wiper Speed Too Slow?

I am refering to the type you put in your windshield container not the direct apply to the windows. I've only seen the direct application.

I drove about 350 miles in the rain last weekend 01/08/05 from San Diego to Wrightwood thinking that the snow would be decent @ mt. high. There were no problems when I used rain-x and the high speed on the wipers. It was comming down at a pretty good rate too.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When you say "Wax", you cannot be referring to a genuine wax such as Zymol.

Zymol's least expensive wax contains about 35% carnauba wax. Carnauba is

hygroscopic which means it absorbs moisture. You would have some serious

smearing if you applied Zymol to your windshield.

You must be talking about a polish such as Zaino which is 100% chemicals (0% carnauba).

Also, some products labeled as wax contain less than 5% carnauba wax.

All auto wax, carnauba or otherwise, is hygrophobic. The whole point of auto wax is that it repels water.

Have you ever waxed your car? Did you notice that water beads on the surface afterwards? Right, it does the same thing when you put it on your windshield. The wax I used was One Grand Blitz wax, which has a very high carnauba content. The results on the windshiled were similar to rain-x, but it did not last as long.

-Nick

I'm not real impressed with the wiper's 'cleaning' ability. They wipe off crap, but they leave dirty streaks on the windshield (kinda like skidmarks from an ass.)

BTW, this is my 200th post so that means I'm a 'Senior' member. Bow down you lesser members. :p

What's funny is, as soon as I hit the Post Reply button, I'll be smarter than most of you n00bs.:lol:

Good lord, you post more incorrect crap than anyone else I've seen on this board. In the 10+ years I have been using rain-x on my, my wife's, and my parents' cars, I have NEVER had a smearing or wiper problem. As long as you follow the directions, rain-x works exactly as advertised.

What you have to remember (and what I suspect you did not do) is that after applying you must buff the rain-x off very well.

Wax works as well, but I have found that it does not last as long as Rain-X.

-Nick

I've yet to hear or read you refute a SINGLE post of mine with any kind of knowledge or information.

I most certainly did buff off the haze... I'm not retarded.

I've used Rain x on every car I've owned since it came on the market... and EVERY SINGLE ONE ended up with windshield wipers that drag and leave smears ALL OVER the windshield...

From brand new cars to one's with 200k miles on them... I've used it according to directions and it SUCKS.

The beads are too small, making it similar to having a severely weather beaten windshield when lights hit it. IE you're effectively blind...

Carnuba (or any other) wax works 10x better and doesn't cost anything as I assume you already have some for your paint.

as far as me posting "incorrect crap " How bout you actually site a post and refute it or you shut your mouth.

As far as a faster motor... I wouldn't even consider that an option... chances are the added speed would transfer to a LOT more force being placed on the wiper arms... I'm guessing you would break the linkage if you turned it any faster....

Beyond the fact that finding a different motor that would fit and has the same voltage requirements are slim to none.

I would entertain a wiper-motor mod. I think the time for the wipers to do a full-sweep is unusually slow (same with the window speed, but that's another issue). I wonder if the wiper speed is any slower on older model Subarus?

I can't imagine that they were not limited by something...

I just don't see them designing wipers that wipe to slow and windows that go down like snails in no hurry w/o a reason...

The windows I'm sure it's because of the pillarless doors... the window has to tilt. As far as the wipers I think it's how long the arms are and their weight...

It seems like the linkage is already stressed as it is when they're on the fastest setting... even though the arms aren't moving that fast. The linkage is under a tremendous amount of stress when it transitions from the upswing to the downswing.

But hey... give it a shot and let us (and subaru) know.

I would entertain a wiper-motor mod. I think the time for the wipers to do a full-sweep is unusually slow (same with the window speed, but that's another issue). I wonder if the wiper speed is any slower on older model Subarus?

I've never tested the wipers, but have noticed on test drives that the Legacy's windows go up/down slower than WRXs, so it should be possible for them to be faster, even with pillarless door design.

Maybe it's not the motors, but rather the wiring causing too high a voltage drop on the Legacy... [wild speculation--no basis from any testing]

I've yet to hear or read you refute a SINGLE post of mine with any kind of knowledge or information.

I most certainly did buff off the haze... I'm not retarded.

I've used Rain x on every car I've owned since it came on the market... and EVERY SINGLE ONE ended up with windshield wipers that drag and leave smears ALL OVER the windshield...

From brand new cars to one's with 200k miles on them... I've used it according to directions and it SUCKS.

The beads are too small, making it similar to having a severely weather beaten windshield when lights hit it. IE you're effectively blind...

Carnuba (or any other) wax works 10x better and doesn't cost anything as I assume you already have some for your paint.

as far as me posting "incorrect crap " How bout you actually site a post and refute it or you shut your mouth.

You're the ONLY person in this thread who has had bad experiences with Rain-X. That makes it, what, 20 to 1? None of the side effects you cite are happening to anyone else. This means that one or more of the following statements is true:

1. The windshiled you are applying Rain-x to is dirty.

2. You are not applying enough Rain-x.

3. You are not buffing it off properly.

4. Your wipers are old or dirty.

5. You are dumb.

Personally, I think the problem is #5 and a combination of #3 and #4.

But noooooo...you can't possibly be doing anything wrong! It must be the product's fault, not yours!!! Give me a friggin break. :rolleyes:

Oh, and btw using wax that you already own doesn't make it "free". Duh. In fact I would wager that per square foot, rain-x is a *lot* cheaper than a high-quality auto wax.

Consider yourself refuted, dissed, owned, whatever.

-Nick

guys take it easy....he is NOT the only one who has had problems with rain-x. If you look back, i specifically mentioned the same problems....

Personally though, maybe i didn't do everything correctly in terms of applying enough or getting it fully off. It was my first time using the product. However i was happy with using wax and it was such a significant change when i went to the rain-X with everything smearing and taking time to clear off. I have no doubt dirty wipers could certainly hinder the outcome, but if those wipers worked fine with wax and not with rain-X than that doesn't really seem to point to the wipers. It could be anything, but i was happier without the rain-X

guys take it easy....he is NOT the only one who has had problems with rain-x. If you look back, i specifically mentioned the same problems....

Personally though, maybe i didn't do everything correctly in terms of applying enough or getting it fully off. It was my first time using the product. However i was happy with using wax and it was such a significant change when i went to the rain-X with everything smearing and taking time to clear off. I have no doubt dirty wipers could certainly hinder the outcome, but if those wipers worked fine with wax and not with rain-X than that doesn't really seem to point to the wipers. It could be anything, but i was happier without the rain-X

See, now *that's* an intelligent, well-reasoned answer. Mr. NonovUrDumbazzniz could learn a lot from you. :cool:

-Nick

See, now *that's* an intelligent, well-reasoned answer. Mr. NonovUrDumbazzniz could learn a lot from you. :cool:

-Nick

A. I detailed cars for a living for over 3 years... I think I know how to use just about ANY detailing product.

B. His answer is the EXACT SAME AS MINE AND REFUTES YOUR RIDICULOUS B.S. post.

C. I clean my wipers with the little pads that come with replacement wipers to ensure they are ALWAYS clean and free of contaminants.

D. Rain-X degrades rubber and leaves smears all over your windshild from the rubber wearing off your wipers.

I am done responding to ANYTHING you have to say... you've proved yourself COMPLETELY ignorant and hopeless.

You're the ONLY person in this thread who has had bad experiences with Rain-X. That makes it, what, 20 to 1? None of the side effects you cite are happening to anyone else. This means that one or more of the following statements is true:

1. The windshiled you are applying Rain-x to is dirty.

2. You are not applying enough Rain-x.

3. You are not buffing it off properly.

4. Your wipers are old or dirty.

5. You are dumb.

Personally, I think the problem is #5 and a combination of #3 and #4.

But noooooo...you can't possibly be doing anything wrong! It must be the product's fault, not yours!!! Give me a friggin break. :rolleyes:

Oh, and btw using wax that you already own doesn't make it "free". Duh. In fact I would wager that per square foot, rain-x is a *lot* cheaper than a high-quality auto wax.

Consider yourself refuted, dissed, owned, whatever.

-Nick

i personally like "SERVED!"

p.s. i personally LOVE rain-X

Guest JessterCPA

I have the popcorn. Anyone want to join me in the front row to watch this one?

http://www.cs.cornell.edu/talc/images/popcorn.jpg

A. I detailed cars for a living for over 3 years... I think I know how to use just about ANY detailing product.

Well I guess you thought wrong. Sucks to be you. Actually sucks to be any of your customers if their "detailer" can't even figure out how to use a simple product like Rain-x.

B. His answer is the EXACT SAME AS MINE AND REFUTES YOUR RIDICULOUS B.S. post.

Actually, his post says:

Personally though, maybe i didn't do everything correctly in terms of applying enough or getting it fully off.
Miss that part? That's the part that proves me right. Dum dum dum dum dummmmb.

C. I clean my wipers with the little pads that come with replacement wipers to ensure they are ALWAYS clean and free of contaminants.

Ahh, now we're getting to the bottom of things. Since ONE little pad comes with each replacement wiper, that means you cleaned your wipers ONCE? And those pads are nothing more than alcohol wipes. They won't get the really bad contaminants off. I clean my windshield and wipers with #0000 steel wool and, if necessary, Bon Ami cleanser. And you say you were a detailer? D'oh!

D. Rain-X degrades rubber and leaves smears all over your windshild from the rubber wearing off your wipers.
As has been confirmed by me and just about everyone else on the planet, no it doesn't when you use it right. You weren't using it right. That bears repeating: you weren't using it right.

Let's see...never admitting you're wrong despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary...you're like the George Bush of internet car forums!

I am done responding to ANYTHING you have to say... you've proved yourself COMPLETELY ignorant and hopeless.

So YOU not knowing how to use a simple product means *I* am ignorant? That's the funniest thing I've heard all day! Thanks for the laugh! :lol:

Here guys, let me make some more popcorn... :cool: Arguing on the internet is teh best!!1111!

-Nick

Archived