LegacyGT.com

Legacy Wiper Speed Too Slow?

During last week's storms in Southern California, there was at least 4 different times at which the fastest wiper speed on my 05 Legacy 2.5i limited did not provide safe visibility levels through the windshield, and I had to briefly consider pulling over. Now, the storms were fierce, but during that week, I needed to rent a car for business purposes, and was given an 05 Forester. It seemed as though the forester's fastest speed was "a whole step" faster than the fastest on the legacy. Even in downpours on freeways, I never had the same visibility problems due to the faster wiper action.

Is this a software thing? Defective motor? Just a fact of life? What can I do?

Thanks.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can adjust the speed, I find them perfect, I can adjust to whatever I need.

Now for high speeds and storms, I agree that they're not the best, I think that if you change the motor with a more powerful one, that would do the trick.

Rain-X

Interesting suggestion, what is Rain-X exactly? Is it some sort of windshield polish? I did see some Rain-X windshield washer at Canadian Tire the other day, but that's not the product you're referring to, right?

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

Interesting suggestion, what is Rain-X exactly? Is it some sort of windshield polish? I did see some Rain-X windshield washer at Canadian Tire the other day, but that's not the product you're referring to, right?

It comes in a bottle or on pre packaged wipes. I have used the washer fluid before and i did like it, may have to go back to it. I forgot about the fluid and i think I have a bottle of it.

Rain-X is a product that makes rain droplets bead up on your windows. The beads then run off the windows with the force of the air moving over the car. When you use rain-x, you typically will only need to use your wipers on intermittent, or usually not at all. In even the heaviest downpours the slow setting is usually too fast.

Rain-x works particularly well on the side and rear windows and on the side mirrors. Depending on how much rain we get, I usually re-apply every 4 to 6 weeks to the windshield. The side and rear windows last 3-4 months.

If you think your wipers are too slow, Rain-x is your solution. The washer additive is not a replacement for the actual product, btw. Some people say rain-x is a PITA to apply, because it smears and is difficult to buff off. The secret to buffing it off is to use a microfiber towel.

-Nick

i liked the wipers in the rains over the last week. i was playing around with it on the low setting, then all the different levels of low.

i noticed that the fastest low setting is 1 second intervals. then, for every click, it gains a second, up to 9 second intervals.

you might want to consider better wiper blades too? i was thinking about that, but it hardly rains here in s. ca so there's probably no need.

Yes, with Rain-X you'll find the wipers are too fast. I typically use just the intermittent settings and find that they do a good job of clearing water from the windshield. Sometimes, I wish there were a few extra slower settings for the times when driving through mist.

Be forewarned, however that using Rain-X comes at a price. First, the application isn't as straightforward as it seems. If you apply too much or don't buff enough, your wipers will quickly start building up Rain-X film on the windshield at their most vertical positions.

Also, Rain-X will inevitably start to wear off and collect at the aforementioned vertical position of the wiper blades. At that time, you'll need to reapply and continue doing so for the life of the windsheild/wiper combination.

I've found the best way to reapply Rain-X is to use one of the few compounds that remove Rain-X (also sold by Rain-X, go figure) and start from scratch.

Ken

Rain-X

I tried Rain-X when the product 1st came to market (late 80's, early 90's).

I hated the smearing when using the wipers at night.

It was like I had waxed the windshield.

Have they improved the smearing problem?

Rain-X ruins your wiper blades... it causes a smearing problem. It's a PAIN to make it stop happening once it does...

If you use rain-x DO NOT USE your wipers... it'll smear and be worse than w/o

I don't use Rain-X anymore... it ruins wipers, makes it so you can't use the wipers when you have to (because of the smearing) and if you don't use the wipers it doesn't clear the windshield properly unless you're doing over 80mph...

Even then the droplets are too small so they block the view completely imo...

As far as the sides and back window's are concerned... again the droplets it forms are WAY too small making seeing through it about as easy as seeing through them when they're covered in ice.

Use wax... it's cheaper, works the same, and the droplets stay nice and LARGE which clear off the glass sooner and don't obstruct vision half as much.

Also because rain-x causes the droplet size to be smaller it takes MORE air to move the droplet than it would if they were larger (like they are when you wax the glass)

As far as a faster motor... I wouldn't even consider that an option... chances are the added speed would transfer to a LOT more force being placed on the wiper arms... I'm guessing you would break the linkage if you turned it any faster....

Beyond the fact that finding a different motor that would fit and has the same voltage requirements are slim to none.

i bought the wipes that come in the container.

I don't think i will be using them again. I though i was having a hard time before, but right after i used the rain-x everything smeared and still does to some extent. I think i will stick with waxing.

I suspect those that are having issues with smear have a build-up of rubber on the glass. Try cleaning with some good glass cleaner to get a fresh surface before applying. In more than 15 years of using Rain-X (bottles, wipes, sprays, etc), I have never had a smearing problem.

Rain-X ruins your wiper blades... it causes a smearing problem. It's a PAIN to make it stop happening once it does...

If you use rain-x DO NOT USE your wipers... it'll smear and be worse than w/o

I don't use Rain-X anymore... it ruins wipers, makes it so you can't use the wipers when you have to (because of the smearing) and if you don't use the wipers it doesn't clear the windshield properly unless you're doing over 80mph...

Even then the droplets are too small so they block the view completely imo...

As far as the sides and back window's are concerned... again the droplets it forms are WAY too small making seeing through it about as easy as seeing through them when they're covered in ice.

Use wax... it's cheaper, works the same, and the droplets stay nice and LARGE which clear off the glass sooner and don't obstruct vision half as much.

Also because rain-x causes the droplet size to be smaller it takes MORE air to move the droplet than it would if they were larger (like they are when you wax the glass)

Good lord, you post more incorrect crap than anyone else I've seen on this board. In the 10+ years I have been using rain-x on my, my wife's, and my parents' cars, I have NEVER had a smearing or wiper problem. As long as you follow the directions, rain-x works exactly as advertised.

What you have to remember (and what I suspect you did not do) is that after applying you must buff the rain-x off very well.

Wax works as well, but I have found that it does not last as long as Rain-X.

-Nick

Wax works as well, but I have found that it does not last as long as Rain-X.

-Nick

When you say "Wax", you cannot be referring to a genuine wax such as Zymol.

Zymol's least expensive wax contains about 35% carnauba wax. Carnauba is

hygroscopic which means it absorbs moisture. You would have some serious

smearing if you applied Zymol to your windshield.

You must be talking about a polish such as Zaino which is 100% chemicals (0% carnauba).

Also, some products labeled as wax contain less than 5% carnauba wax.

When you say "Wax", you cannot be referring to a genuine wax such as Zymol.

Zymol's least expensive wax contains about 35% carnauba wax. Carnauba is

hygroscopic which means it absorbs moisture. You would have some serious

smearing if you applied Zymol to your windshield.

You must be talking about a polish such as Zaino which is 100% chemicals (0% carnauba).

Also, some products labeled as wax contain less than 5% carnauba wax.

I used Zymol last time when waxing my car and windshield, didn't have a problem then either.

Archived