LegacyGT.com

Automatic to manual is it worth it?

jimmy x

yeah, forget this swap. Better to sell your car privately and find a nice used LGT in manual.

The only problem when doing this is usually timing. Tough to go without a car if you sell the Auto first, and can't find a Manual, and tough to finance if you buy the new Manual and have to carry a big line of credit until you sell off the Auto...

I know guys who have bought 500 dollar beaters to bridge the gap between buying and selling the cars that they want. But in the end, beaters can usually be sold in a day.

a lot of money. better to trade the car in imo unless you can do it yourself.

+1

You can search hammerdown's thread, he went from 5mt to 6mt and he did alot of work himself, cost was around 6k.

Just trade it in for a manual if you want a manual.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

I think it depends on what you ultimately want to do. If you want a special transmission, then it wouldn't really matter what you start off with, however for just a simple 5MT or even a 6MT swap, just sell the car or trade it in. Spend a lot less money, even if you're upside down.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

+1

You can search hammerdown's thread, he went from 5mt to 6mt and he did alot of work himself, cost was around 6k.

Just trade it in for a manual if you want a manual.

I think going from 5mT to 6mT is less of a "leap" than an automatic to a manual.. Both ofcourse are financially retarded unless you're making a trackcar (which is obviously not the case if you started off with an automatic in the first place).

I think going from 5mT to 6mT is less of a "leap" than an automatic to a manual.. Both ofcourse are financially retarded unless you're making a trackcar (which is obviously not the case if you started off with an automatic in the first place).

uh... no. I made my 5EAT into a track car and loved it. still do.

not to mention most real drag cars are not manual clutch, but an automatic clutch.

how are you going to live with the 6mt in your STI?:):);)

I'll be impatiently waiting for SOA to bring their DSG box to the US in which case I will promptly do a tranny swap. ;)

yeah, forget this swap. Better to sell your car privately and find a nice used LGT in manual.

The only problem when doing this is usually timing. Tough to go without a car if you sell the Auto first, and can't find a Manual, and tough to finance if you buy the new Manual and have to carry a big line of credit until you sell off the Auto...

I know guys who have bought 500 dollar beaters to bridge the gap between buying and selling the cars that they want. But in the end, beaters can usually be sold in a day.

QFT

No reason to do a swap, there should be plenty of other cars out there.

The $500 beater is a great option too. Cars in that price range get snapped up FAST. Plus they have..."character" and you can get a manual and practice your heel-toe. My friend's that have gone the beater route when between nice cars usually end up making $$$ since they fix a few cheap things, clean it up and then sell it for a profit after driving it HARD for a few months.

Archived