LegacyGT.com

Anyone tow a 3,000 lb boat with an Outback?

Trailer is a 94, so surge. And drum brakes. Our motorboattrailer is electric + disc - much preferable.

We normally launch from a crane but it pulls it up a ramp no problem.

But it has VTD, it's not 50/50.

Edited by Garandman

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Backing a 30' long, 3000# trailer uphill through a maze of other boats to a crane would require so much slipping of the clutch that it would not last very long.

Ok, I'll buy that.

I have considerable experience with backing trailers, but it's all with automatic transmission vehicles.

• 6 months later...

I have a US 2005 Legacy GT (not outback) 5 speed manual tranny.

We run a race-prepped, stripped Volvo 240 Wagon in the 24 Hours of LeMons, and we constantly have trouble getting tow vehicles - what do you all think about the wisdom of towing this thing about with an LGT?

Apologies for reopening an age-old question; it just seems like most of what's been said applies to boats, and caravans; and wondered if the dynamics of towing a car might be a little different. We reckon the volvo weighs in at around 2000lbs, but not 100% sure about that.

I have a US 2005 Legacy GT (not outback) 5 speed manual tranny.

We run a race-prepped, stripped Volvo 240 Wagon in the 24 Hours of LeMons, and we constantly have trouble getting tow vehicles - what do you all think about the wisdom of towing this thing about with an LGT?

Apologies for reopening an age-old question; it just seems like most of what's been said applies to boats, and caravans; and wondered if the dynamics of towing a car might be a little different. We reckon the volvo weighs in at around 2000lbs, but not 100% sure about that.

If you're going to be towing that much weight, regularly - at highway speeds, I'd put an auxilliary oil cooler on your LGT, beyond your stock oil cooler above your oil filter. The reason I mention that is you're going to be staying on boost much longer than you would typically be without a load and that will tend to heat your turbo, and by association your oil. Last thing you want to do is cook your oil with 1200+ degree heat over the duration of a haul.

I mention this because I noticed that the car was holding boost quite a bit longer, and that there was a more than usual increase in oil temps while pushing through the local mountains with a large Yakima cargo box on top. This was also while travelling against a very strong head wind, enough to slow the car down on a few instances and the trip went from sea level to ~ 7000 feet to below sea level, always with this headwind. I surmise that towing 2000+ lbs behind would have an even greater effect so just something to think about.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 3 years later...

Let me lay this to rest. For our rally team when we tow it's about 11,000 lb GVW overall with just a 4.6L F-150.

I've inadvertently towed about 2900-3200lb of a double axle enclosed with the 5EAT in an OBXT. It was not through any mountains.

I would NOT TOW 4000LB with a LEGACY. Come on. First of all, the sway. Unless you got a hensley arrow on your subie, it'll be a slow trip. The Outback couldn't go much faster than 62 without ridiculous sway. Secondly (with A/C on, summer day) the temp gauge did creep up once or twice. This just being the hills in Iowa on the way to Chicago from Denver. Note this is overall, DOWNHILL and often tailwind. I've also towed 2700 lb (scales at scrapyard) with the flatbed and NO BRAKES, across town. And I can say that if you towed that much on highway, and something happened to trailer brakes, you're ****ed. You can do as much engine braking to help out as you want, you're still hosed. I needed engine braking to stop from 25 mph at stoplights.

Now, on to towing with the ford. It only has 220 hp. Yes the subaru was better at getting things up to highway speed. The ford is a manual, and I can definitely see where getting the trailer started with a manual legacy is a problem. I used low range on some hills on farm roads etc. where I had to come to a stop.

Now let's talk about Vail Pass and the Eisenhower tunnel. Yeah sure a turbo woulda been nice to thicken that air, but a Legacy isn't a turbodiesel sprinter van. Let's talk about 18 mph and flooring it in second gear. Given that, a) most of us said we would prefer an automatic and b) it'd need the turbo cooking away, well, if it were a legacy we'd blow it up! All of it (torque convertor--> kills transmission, while engine and turbo work on murdering each other--the EGTs would be ridiculous, as I bet they already were on the ford).

Please don't do this to your legacy. A crappy pickup is quite cheap these days. The pickup was able to handle the 4300 lb of trailer and 1500 lb cargo sometimes at 78 mph (not advised). Oh and I got a taste of no trailer brakes in the mountains with the Ford. It can happen. That was already a disaster in waiting. It would be worse with a mid-size car.

Takeaway message: 3000lb is plenty. Ignore the European specs. I saw them too, they went straight to my head, and eventually out my ass.

We reckon the volvo weighs in at around 2000lbs, but not 100% sure about that.

I would say no. Having worked on Volvos a lot in the past, I'd say there's only about 350lb of crap that can be removed, from spares to power seats, door panels and stereos. Unless you started removing exhaust, doors... or replaced all glass with lexan. But I digress. I put you at 2500lb.

IF you can find a dolly at 500 lb you could get away with it. Note that a uhaul dolly is spec'd at 750lb.

Another issue is that it seems like dollies have more sway for a given overall weight. You may have a real nice system of ropes and bungees/tiedowns for your steering wheel I dunno.

And finally, does this light dolly have brakes?

Hi again,

I am still towing +3000lbs (+1500kg) caravan with my Outback without problem.

Been doing that since i bought the car new in dec 2005. Many many thousand miles.

2.5 auto 2006 japan built. According to spec my car is allowed to tow 1800kg. Never any problem, just go anywhere :)

If you have any specific questions about it, i will try to answer them.

Hi again,

Never any problem, just go anywhere :)

Since you are from Sweden then I have to ask you, have you taken it into mountains? I suppose many Americans also don't know, but my above examples climbed to 11,150 ft (about 3400m) and 10,600 ft. It was very brutal on the vehicle.

Many of the people on here will be towing across flat land. But I speak from the perspective of what can go wrong. I speak from the perspective of 4000 mi trips where we lose tires and brakes on the trailer (eventually it happens). With everything ideal you can get by with the Subaru. If the brakes on one side fail it will steer the tow vehicle pretty hard, and sway when released. Worse with a lighter tow vehicle.

I guess i have been nowhere nere 3200 m peaks towing my caravan, but some really tough up'n down miles. Worst was when the caravans breakes died. I had to change my brakes after that. But still the car managed fine. Of course if trouble show up, it is often better with a heavier towing vehicle. :)

• 8 months later...

i want to bump this up... i have a 1968, 16 or 17ft fiberglass runabout with a outboard on back. triler is 500# and im guessing the boat is 2000#. i have towed this with my Legacy GT MT a bunch of times. back and fourth to the boat launches and mechanic... never more than 5 or 8 miles.

the last time i took it out this summer, it felt a little more 'bouncy' than usual on the way to the launch. when i parked, i noticed the hitch was almost dragging on the ground :eek: it has a 1 1/4" receiver, so i guess a class 2 or 3.

i thought the hitch was bent. i took it off yesterday and realized that the back captive nuts on each side were ripping through the frame :eek: :eek: :eek:

i couldnt have overloaded the hitch. i have no tow vehicle now

I tried to get enough information to feel comfortable bringing that hitch over from Aus. It would've cost me $900USD to get a new one, and I wasn't able to find sufficient info to say that it would definitely bolt up to the US cars.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

.. it has a 1 1/4" receiver, so i guess a class 2 or 3.

1.25" hitches are either Class1 or Class2.

Class 3 and 4 hitches are always 2"

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

And don't forget the extra ground clearance!

I have that too, and it doesn't. I gave up looking and went with a Drawtite Class 3. I wasn't going to pay $900 to get a hitch that might not work.

It's too bad we don't get this nice hitch here: http://www.crago.net/subaru/towbar/

The writeup for that install is here. Would have liked to do this myself, but like BAC, couldn't justify the cost, not knowing whether everything would line-up properly.

Lowered, our cars can drag the hitch over steep curbs and entry points, moreso when loaded. I know I drag mine - but it's protecting the exhaust tips a bit too. Wish it were a 2" receiver type (Class 3/4), but it's a Class 2, 1.25" receiver. And I use a special receiver and lock to remove the "clunking" sound of the stock receiver.

i want to bump this up... i have a 1968, 16 or 17ft fiberglass runabout with a outboard on back. triler is 500# and im guessing the boat is 2000#. i have towed this with my Legacy GT MT a bunch of times. back and fourth to the boat launches and mechanic... never more than 5 or 8 miles.

the last time i took it out this summer, it felt a little more 'bouncy' than usual on the way to the launch. when i parked, i noticed the hitch was almost dragging on the ground :eek: it has a 1 1/4" receiver, so i guess a class 2 or 3.

i thought the hitch was bent. i took it off yesterday and realized that the back captive nuts on each side were ripping through the frame :eek: :eek: :eek:

i couldnt have overloaded the hitch. i have no tow vehicle now

That's not good.

There are some augment brackets that come with the Subaru Outback hitch, PN L101SAG100. These would help distribute the tortional loading a bit more evenly and keep the hitch attached to your car. More discussion here.

Hope you're able to get your two bits fixed.

• 7 years later...
Since you are from Sweden then I have to ask you, have you taken it into mountains? I suppose many Americans also don't know, but my above examples climbed to 11,150 ft (about 3400m) and 10,600 ft. It was very brutal on the vehicle.

Many of the people on here will be towing across flat land. But I speak from the perspective of what can go wrong. I speak from the perspective of 4000 mi trips where we lose tires and brakes on the trailer (eventually it happens). With everything ideal you can get by with the Subaru. If the brakes on one side fail it will steer the tow vehicle pretty hard, and sway when released. Worse with a lighter tow vehicle.

Since my last reply 8yrs ago i have been towing caravans and boats a lot. And used 4 other Subarus, 3 Outbacks and one Forester. Still have my -06 Outback as on my profile :)

And a 2017 Outback diesel which is a dream.

Worst towing was with a 2012 manual diesel Outback over the alps in Germany, Austria, Slovakia and back through Croatia, Italy. Had my big caravan with a lot of wind and 1800kg. On the highest peaks it felt like i lost half of the engine power due to thin air i guess...

But all was well anyway :)

• 2 weeks later...