LegacyGT.com

Anyone have a dealer tell you the 2nd gear whine is just "the turbo"?

I took my car in for a recall and mentioned I was a little concerned about the whine in 2nd (I know it's common, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't anything else. The service manager said, "There's no whine, it's just the turbo spooling up. There's nothing we can do about that." I refrained from making a smart-ass remark..."So the turbo sounds like a supercharger that only spools up in 2nd and on deceleration..." Made me a bit mad since they obviously didn't really care. I was also surprised they didn't do the 30K service before I bought the car (bought it with 29.9K miles)

Anyone else think that's kind of messed up? I'm just a little pissed about the whole thing, but oh well, life goes on...

I was also surprised they didn't do the 30K service before I bought the car (bought it with 29.9K miles)

Anyone else think that's kind of messed up? I'm just a little pissed about the whole thing, but oh well, life goes on...

Don't blame the Service Dept on that, blame the used car manager/dept.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

If I think there's a problem that could result in a warranty claim, I write a letter to the dealership detailing the problem. I make two copies and ask the service writer to initial his receipt.

I't s great to see the dealership on the other side of the paperwork drill.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

If I think there's a problem that could result in a warranty claim, I write a letter to the dealership detailing the problem. I make two copies and ask the service writer to initial his receipt.

I't s great to see the dealership on the other side of the paperwork drill.

Yes but the downfall to that is all they need to say is CND, Could Not Duplicate concern. I am not sticking up for the dealer because they may be wrong. However, before any repair is to be made, they have to duplicate the problem and isolate it to see what they have to repair. Until then, all the paperwork in the world won't get it fixed.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I had / have a whine in 5th. After the dealer taking the transmission apart for a couple of weeks and replacing bearings, they had the "local subaru regional rep" ride in the car. He claimed that the whine was the turbo and that there was nothing wrong (even though the service manager thought there was an issue).

I plan to take it back when it's warmer around here, but yeah I've heard that excuse before. Actually, initially they "couldn't reproduce it" either --I had to take them for a ride and point out the noise. Persevere, they should help you eventually.

Yes but the downfall to that is all they need to say is CND, Could Not Duplicate concern. I am not sticking up for the dealer because they may be wrong. However, before any repair is to be made, they have to duplicate the problem and isolate it to see what they have to repair. Until then, all the paperwork in the world won't get it fixed.
No, but it establishes a paper trail. In the OP's case they were disagreeing on the source of the noise: documenting that there was a noise might prove useful.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

No, but it establishes a paper trail. In the OP's case they were disagreeing on the source of the noise: documenting that there was a noise might prove useful.

Yes, but the fact remains is it is just a paper trail, not a problem resolved. What is writing aletter do the dealership going to do when they have the concern already documented? I am not disagreeing about the problem, just a few key details that have to occur regardless of how long the paper trail is.

There is already a paper trail if it is listed on a Repair Order as a concern. Like blackfang stated, it might state it could not be duplicated or was considered normal but it is already documented.

No dealer will perform a repair under warranty without duplicating the concern first as per SOA policy.

I'd take it back and ask them to fix the turbocharger.

Obviously it doesn't work in 3rd/4th/5th gear.

Ok.:spin:

Read Opie's reply and mine again. They will not fix anything until they can duplicate the concern and know what they have to fix. Until then, it could be a no repair made.

There's nothing for them to fix. Yes, they're wrong about their made-up answer, but it's still a non-issue and you seem to already know it. Why ask them to diagnose something that isn't a problem?

Straighter gears = noiser. Straighter gears = stronger. Stronger = noiser. Not a bad tradeoff in my book.

I can't think of a way they could determine "if it's anything else." Since all the cars make that noise, how would they go about finding a secondary cause?

The second gear whine was just an afterthought as they were fixing a recall issue. I have not been in another LGT, except an 08 which didn't have the whine, so I wanted to make sure the noise mine was making was "normal". Nothing wrong with that, right? I didn't like the BS answer they gave me. I would have been fine with a "that's normal" answer instead of a lie. This is my first $20K+ car, so I'm pretty anal still. Plus I've only had the car for 2 months.

I have read threads on this and also asked my dealer who was suppsed to have new district rep listen to it. Never happend.

With that said and reading the threads it seems common that second gear is noisy correct?

Just curious why second is much more noisey that any of the others?

Like what John M said, second gear is re-enfored with a straight cut, which is stronger. It's a step up from the WRX 5-speed. The common issue, from what I've read, is determining how much noise is too much. Some have turned out to be normal and some have had other issues i.e. faulty bearings in the transfercase. I would just rather be safe than sorry. I'm also a bit paranoid because my sentra se-r spec v had so many problems.

Ok.:spin:

Read Opie's reply and mine again. They will not fix anything until they can duplicate the concern and know what they have to fix. Until then, it could be a no repair made.

Sorry man. It was a joke. Mine whines in 1st and 2nd as well, and I guess everyone's does. Whether yours is worse or not, I have no idea. You say it is, I'll take your word for it.

But again, if a dealer told me that the whining noise was just the turbo, I would immediately demand do know why the turbo is completely inoperative in the higher gears. I'm sure you can see where that conversation would go...

Sorry man. It was a joke. Mine whines in 1st and 2nd as well, and I guess everyone's does. Whether yours is worse or not, I have no idea. You say it is, I'll take your word for it.

But again, if a dealer told me that the whining noise was just the turbo, I would immediately demand do know why the turbo is completely inoperative in the higher gears. I'm sure you can see where that conversation would go...

I never said mine does because I don't have a LGT

Archived