LegacyGT.com

Sport light blinking

fishbone

118k miles and i think i'm having this same issue. it usually takes about 20 mins of driving before it will start flashing. shifts fine until i have to go from a stop. I guess bye bye $500...hopefully not more.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well after fighting with Carter Subaru in Seattle who said I needed a new transmission, then wanted to charge me 5 hours of labor to replace the harness I went to Eastside Subaru in Kirkland who did it for 700ish. Really pisses me off, I have bought 2 cars from Carter and always had my vehicles serviced there. SOA didn't really have anything to offer. The car is fixed, Eastside said tranny was fine and it's been about 2 months and I haven't had any issues.

5 hours is still high but according to my dealer they were going to charge me 9 hours of labor for it. My trusted shop did it for me for $250 plus the part which was $130 I think. Took them a couple hours I think. Guy supported the transmission, unbolted the crossmember, lowered the tranny a bit and wiggled his hand in there to get to the front sensor.

• 4 months later...
what was the part # of the part they used? I called Fred Beans for the part and they have the harness thing for $300, but he said there's another one that he called a revolution sensor for like $100. i'm wondering if I only need that.

so i've got 2 diff part #s, the one for my car is 24030AA181 and the one from this thread is 24030AA121. The parts guy i talked with says they look visually the same, but doesn't know if there is a diff. it's unlikely that 05 and 06 auto's have diff parts right??? just an updated part?

so i've got 2 diff part #s, the one for my car is 24030AA181 and the one from this thread is 24030AA121. The parts guy i talked with says they look visually the same, but doesn't know if there is a diff. it's unlikely that 05 and 06 auto's have diff parts right??? just an updated part?

Why don't you buy legacy's part and save $75-100 I'm tempted and mine doesn't have the problem.:lol: In fact after 8 years of owning this car I never used the sport mode ( after reading 5eat pride) I now do, I love it.

It doesn't matter how you drive the car, manual mode, D, Sport, when the speed sensor goes out it needs to be replaced. The Sport light blinking is a trouble reporting mode, it doesn't mean Sport mode specifically went bad.

That's what I thought, thx for the reassurance fishbone:)

Here's how the sensors work on the 5EAT 2005-2007:

Of the accessible sensors, there are 2 external, 1 internal in the tail housing, 1 on the valve body top.

The one on the valve body only tends to go bad if one of the solder joints breaks, which I have seen happen several times during removal when handled incorrectly.

Of the two external:

-There's one front (driver side, above the dipstick tube entry and oil cooler lines). The 5EAT wire harness has a connector that plugs into this sensor. This is so the sensor can be disconnected so that the sensor can be flipped upside down before removing / after installing the transmission. Or better yet, remove this sensor entirely and plug the port with a small piece of shop towel so it's out of the way. Otherwise, the 5EAT is very prone to banging against the trans tunnel and crushing this sensor. If your 5EAT was ever unbolted, and you have a sensor issue AFTER, then this is probably the culprit.

-There's one rear, which goes into the tail housing, and is integrated into the 5EAT wire harness. This is a key difference between 2005 and 2006-2007. The tail housings are different, and so are the factory sensor setups. Between 2005 and 2006, Subaru converted from a 2-piece tail housing, to a 1-piece, and the sensor moved.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=163749&stc=1&d=1379964458

A) Front sensor.

B) Rear sensor.

C) Harnesses Connector to car's main harness. Located underneath the TMIC (Top Mount Intercooler). It may be best to first unplug this and spray it with Electrical Contact Cleaner, then apply a light amount of Dielectric Grease to insulate the contacts from moisture and corrosion, since this is an easier, cheap first step for a DIY repair person.

Part numbers for the outside 5EAT harness:

AFAIK (as far as I know) the harnesses are NOT interchangeable between 2005 and 2006-2007. I have only heard bad news when people have tried swapping between years. Then again, no one goes out of their way to tell me when things just simply work.

The front sensor IS interchangeable (as far as I know, but I have not tested this thoroughly enough to be certain).

2005: 24030AA120 is the old part number, 24030AA121 is the new part number.

2006-2007: 24030AA181.

I have a supply of the FRONT (A) sensors for sale, as they are known to break whenever someone does not follow the directions when removing / installing a 5EAT. PM me to order one.

791982037_5EATSensorHarness.jpg.ad22f454a8db66fac39961d59c2547c6.jpg

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 8 months later...
Im gonna revive this thread as well as mine is starting to Flash now as well. Just driving down a back road doing 45 mph it just popped on. And yesterday going up a hill doing 20 it popped on as well. Seeing that i have 160K on my 05LGT i will take it as i will be out 500 bucks. Go figure. Ill take it to my independent shop and go from there.

Do you have a good local shop ?

If your looking for a great repair shop, may be www.AZPinstalls.com is worth the short ride.

email Mike from the site.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Im gonna do the work myself and ask my Friend Marco to help. I got the whole harness from the Subaru dealer, thru my body shop connection. According to them the harness has both sensors on it and will take a day or 2 to get in. Got a shop as well to put the car up on a lift, gonna be a nice weekend project soon as it comes in

Always a good connection Max! Part is ordered got it for around 2 bills not to bad. Figure its gonna take me about 2 hours at the shop to swap this harness out. I hit the exisiting one with contact cleaner and dielectric grease at lunch, ill drive it home and see if it pops up again.

It was more expensive when I ordered it, IIRC. It was around $325 and it had 3 sensors in it, not just two. Can't remember but it was front, mid, rear I think.

Dealer said 9 hours labor, my shop did it in two.

I"m assuming you've already gone through all the diagnostics, but wanted to link this response for posterity. Only SSM can reliably pull trans codes accurately apparently

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2092577&postcount=34

I decided today to use one of the suggestions of a poster. I pulled the plug apart and sprayed it with contact cleaner and hit the plug with dielectric grease. Did that at lunch and let it sit. Drive home, roughly 30 miles and no light. Gonna drive it for a week and see what happens. If that fixes it I'll return the harness and cross my fingers it doesn't come back.

• 2 months later...
Reviving this thread....I too am having this issue. :-( mine really just started. Its only happened twice and so far I have only noticed it when I shift the car into park. I haven't ever noticed it while driving but I suppose I should play around with sport mode a bit more and make sure it's not. I will admit some of these posts are scaring me lol $900 repair jobs, need trannys...I can't afford either. I guess it's a good thing I'm looking into getting an XV Crosstrek for a daily driver in about a year. Just need this to last me that long but I will have AFBeefcake look at all this info and see what he says.

• 4 weeks later...
Seems that the problem had reared its ugly head again! Im just gonna swap the harness and go for the cost. Driving into work the car would downshift on its own. Ive done the cleaner and the grease, think its time for the harness. Gonna be a fun bill for sure. I hope this is the final fix. Tranny has been shifting smooth, no slipping so i know its not an internal issue. Just sucks. Thought i had it fixed, now this.

My buddy is doing it at his shop, said it shouldnt take him more than an hour or so, plus he is gonna check the car out for other things too, think the mid pipe is leaking at the gasket as well. Other than that the car has 164k on it and still runs great. Thanks for the heads up Fishbone

Archived