LegacyGT.com

Sport light blinking

fishbone

I just did the harness replacement today. To get to one of the sensors u have to drop the pan. So I got the car back and as soon as I leave work I put in sport and it stays there till 4k. Then it starts flashing again. O had to stop for gas so I turned the car off, filled up then drove home. Driving easy. No issue. I then had to go out and run an errand. Car drove funny I guess to relearn or whatever. No sport light flashing the entire drive. O then got called to work and thought might as well give it a go. Drove it like I stole it driving. Shifted crisp no issue. Coming home drove normally all good. I've driven about 80 miles since the harness swap and its so far so good. I'll report back more after I drive a tank of gas.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wanted to provide some data, for relevance.

I replaced the harness in 2008 with 60K on the odometer.

I now have 116K on the car.

I paid $325 for the part (part # 24030AA121 at that time), labor was $230

Taken from my maintenance records.

captainobvious is correct, from my records, a pan drain and refill was necessary. The shop also had to unmount the trans crossmember to gain access to the front.

captainobvious: borrow a compatible VAG-COM cable or a Tactrix cable from somebody, download FreeSSM on your laptop, and that way you can reset your own TCU. You don't have to, it's just a shortcut and sure way that the trans is starting to relearn from zero. You're 100 miles in so you should be fine.

• 4 weeks later...
Well the darn sport light reared its ugly head again on Halloween. Brought it to the dealer and they pulled the P1706 code for teh rear speed sensor. They took it out for a test drive while the senior tech was logging it and other codes popped up as well from what i was told. I had told them i just replaced the harness, to what the dealer says, well it doesnt look like it seeing its dirty, and seeing we didnt replace it we will not cover the part. So i am paying again for the harness, and the diagnostic time, the labor and all, $1100.00 for the repair bill. Stealership for SURE. car better run awesome after all this. 7 days without the Legacy. Im going to fight to get a refund on the old harness i paid for!!

So back again and this time its still no good news.

Never again! Curry subaru in cortland screwed me over and has my car over 7 days with no fix. Brought the car to them on October 31st. They had the car for the entire day and tell me that the transmission control module is throwing a code and its a sensor that needs to replaced. Fine. Ok. Now i get a call from them today that i need to come down and see the pan from the transmission, which i go there and see a sheen of metal particles normal wear from driving. I just had 2 drain and fills with brand new fluid. No chunks, the dealer tells me i need a new transmission and they wont replace the parts because they feel the part will fail because the transmission needs to be replaced. I say so you couldnt have told me this when you diagnosed the issue last week. Now i still have a car that doesnt shift right, and i know my transmission is fine, via 2 different mechanics. Ill get the part myself and have my mechanic friend do it. Thanks for absolutely nothing Curry Subaru and having my car for over a week and not fixing the problem at all. Big F.U.

Now i have to find the part and just have my buddy do the sensor. All this could have been done in less than a day. Never ever again will my car go to a Dealer.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So my 06 Outback has been getting the P1706 AT Vehicle Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction (rear wheel) occuring to the point where it was shifting like crap. So I purchased the cable and replaced it.

Some notes on replacement. The entire cable can be replaced with a 10mm socket/wrench. It took about 5hours to replace. It took me 6.5hrs because the front speed sensor bolt slipped out of my hands and had a terrible time finding it. No need to drop the transmission but you will have to pull the pan. You can snake the two cables out the drivers side from there and snake the new cables in when the time comes. The rear speed sensor was easy (just mind the heat shield and your skin). The internal cable run was easy once getting the pan off. The front speed sensor was the hardest due to location. Quite difficult to get to (I did this one from the top).

Once I finished up the install I reset the TCU and ECU. Driven it 40miles so far and back to normal. It would've acted up already if it still was an issue.

Well 4500 miles since i had a complete drain and fill. Car has been shifting smooth, although it holds 3rd gear in sport mode a little longer and sometimes has hit the rev limiter, only way to get it to shift to 4th is let off the gas, or manually shift it. Im thinking it might be time to do another drain and fill and get some fresh fluid in there. I checked the dipstick and the fluid does not smell burnt and is still a fresh color. Im thinking though it might be starting to go after 170k on the car.

• 1 month later...
Well I am back AGAIN issue still is popping up every so often and the flashing sport light is coming up. Ive done the whole harness in Nov. of 2014 and now the flashing sport light comes on just about every other day. I got the code pulled P1706 AT Vehicle Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction (rear wheel) so now i called subaru for the rear speed sensors at the rear wheels. Oh the joy at least both sensors were only 100.00 out of pocket and my friend did them for me in about 45 minutes. When i was driving my friend had the code reader for the TCU hooked up and was watching the rear abs sensor voltage fluctuate all over the place, the front stayed steady. When he pulled the old speed sensors out of the rear of the car he did notice some particles on the sensors and they were a little corroded so hopefully this will finally fix my issue once and for all. I did a drain and fill about 2 weeks ago after driving 6500 miles on all new fluid and their was no particles on the magnet or in the pan, everything looked clear and bright and no burning smell. After i get the car back going to try and clear the code and reflash it back to learning. Pray to god that it fixes the issue.

• 3 weeks later...
Well worst case has risen, time to get a New/used tranny. Its slipping like crazy and burning tranny smell. Not a good thing. Thanks for all the input i have read about and tried before coming to the decision. Onward to get it. After its in and its ran for awhile. Valve body hexmod is on the horizon to make it last longer.

• 2 years later...

Hey guys just signed and have been doing some digging read right through this thread as I’m having the sport light blinking issue on a liberty gt I just bought

I’m in Australia I’m not sure what differences are between aus and is delivered vehicles

So the car it’s an 05 gt liberty 173000 klms

I haven’t replaced any parts yet but I found one of the wheel speed sensors (left rear) is quite damaged internally pic is attached below

Can anyone confirm if this could also throw the sport light error for the trans I haven’t scanned it as yet as it’s the weekend here

When the light is flashing the car drives as normal but I lose sports manual mode all together

I’m hoping this forum is still active enough for you guys to see it and can confirm this would be the issue or best place to start or if these systems are totally seperate 347ddbb895f6a075444509236aa3277c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived