LegacyGT.com

would shutting one of the exits of the Y-pipe be a bad thing?

SpawnGT

Quick question...stage 2.5FMIC and have a crucial shorty(NO CAT) connected to a deccatted Mid, connected to the XO2 catback. Would closing one of the Y-pipe pipes causing it to be one long exhaust like the sti be a bad thing for the car?

right now im consiering have a muffler shop weld into one of the y-pipes my electrical exhaust cutout so that with only 1 xo2 can i have alil less loudness.

Install a Flap system :) when there's alot of pressure, the flap will open and the extra needed flow will occur... i think the R32 does that... correct? "flapper mod" ... R32 owners do that which = forcing the flap open all the time... the flap helps keep the noise down at lower rpms... but really opens up when you get on it. I bet you could even get that flap directly from someone who replaced their R's exhaust system

• 1 month later...

BUMP this thread up.

Instead of starting a new thread on the "flapper" i want to know if anyone has any ideas or actual examples of a flapper system from such a car like the r32, or the Audi's out there, that would allow for some kind of "flapper" action without our exhausts.

BUMP this thread up.

Instead of starting a new thread on the "flapper" i want to know if anyone has any ideas or actual examples of a flapper system from such a car like the r32, or the Audi's out there, that would allow for some kind of "flapper" action without our exhausts.

To be honest, this isn't complicated to do. Virtually all the older V8s used such a "flapper" on one exhaust manifold to route exhaust in such a way as to heat the engine up quicker, routing it circuitously over to the other side's exhaust pipe. It was both heat and pressure operated, where a bimetal coil kept it closed until heated, OR the exhaust forced the offset-hinged butterfly valve open. The mechanism is called a Heat Riser.

However, all the modifications one ever did to those mechanisms was, mostly, to eliminate them when performance was the aim.

As far as horsepower is concerned wouldnt a single exhaust be better? My buddy had dual on his turbod honda and switched to single and gained over 20 at the wheels.

I suspect you're comparing apples to oranges. A BIG single probably is better than a skinny stock dual exhaust. But a BIG well designed dual exhaust is going to be better than a similarly designed single, all other things being equal such as mufflers.

That said, one BIG pipe with a straight through "muffler" is probably best of all.

if you are trying to reduce the sound level this isn't a good idea.. infamous is right it'll be louder. and more cabin drone. more pressure being exerted out into a smaller exit is what you're trying to avoid.

its like placing your thumb over the opening of a water hose. thats my analogy.

Archived