LegacyGT.com

Pics of HIDs Fogs..

bgray

Looks good, although the fogs definitely don't look like 5k to me, especially when you've got them on by themselves. Cool, isn't it, how bright those little lights can be? Nothing compared to the stock H3 bulbs.

Your lights look pretty well aligned already. My fogs were crazily out of whack. Had one pointing up and one pretty much straight down.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I'm no expert, but if the box says 35W, that's probably what you got. May have been a mistake in the kit the vendor gave you. They look a little less bright then mine, so I'd guess from that alone that they are 35W. Your lows look like what I'd expect from 5k. Both 35w and 55w in those housings are bright because they are pretty tightly focused.

Just got my DDM kits installed.

I was a little concerned when having to drill the rear caps for the fogs but used a 7/8" bit plus a little dremel work to get the connector through and it worked well with the supplied grommet. The way the grommet sits on the inside, I'd say they're sealed well enough.

I mounted the ballasts on top of the bumper beam, right at the respective ends. Used the double sided tape plus a couple of zip ties for good measure.

Definitely pumped about the greater light output as compared to the stock H3s.

I'll have to see about doing the non-cutting method independent fog mod. I'd definitely like to have the option of using the fogs without the low beams.

Can anyone with 35W hids in their fogs confirm if they are bright enough to be used on their own now? Obviously not for normal or high speed driving, just for inclement weathr situations. I am thinking of adding a kit to both the lows and the fogs but and hoping the fogs will actually be functional now. Especially since I find HIDs (lows) harder to drive with in fog and snow.

...a 35 watts HID kits is definitely brighter than stock...the next set would probably be taking the whole foglight assembly apart and removing the glare shield and aim them higher like parallel to the ground...WANT more power??? Install a 55 watts HID kit and do the same thing- remove glare shield and aim higher!!! For bad inclement weather I would recommend you going with a 3000k bulb or use yellow inserts with your existing bulb.

CRAZY KEN

want even more flexibility and wider spread area go independent like me! ;)

If I do go with HID fogs I will set them up to run independent and I would be getting 3k. I just find that HID lows have a tendency to make heavy snow and fog difficult to drive in from glare but the current fogs are useless for anything more than 5 mph. I was hoping to be able to make the stock fogs with HIDs be OK for low speed driving....like 30 mph. In the pics in this thread the throw looks pretty good but that can be deceptive.

How difficult was it to remove the glare sheild and re-aim the fogs?

Aiming...no problem...on mine there is a screw that moves it up and down!

Taking the glare shield out...search for a walk through...not as easy, I believe baking is a must! Someone else did it! mr_luv are you there?

CRAZY KEN

Leave the shield in there it stops the light from bleedingup into the lowbeams. Causing mucho glare and unusable light. I would suggest leaving the stock fog units alone, and get H3C bulbs they are the same size as normal hologen H3bulbs except HID capsuls and dispurse the light in the H3 housing properly.http://71.18.142.222/ebay/images/bulbsize.jpg
Mr.350

...its about fracken time you chimed in here buddy!

Dang...those H3C bulbs are HID? Hmmmm...I want HID reverse lights...make it so mr_luv...this weekend!

mr_luv: "Leave the shield in there it stops the light from bleedingup into the lowbeams.

...so minuet! Bleed shmeed...I'll take so pics of my coverage for yall!

Causing mucho glare

...nah, not so much, besides who cares...on coming traffic!

and unusable light.

...no, the overall area that is being lite is a lot. It's not like the shield concentrates the light to make it more intense. Besides the car will look like a spacecraft flying down the street. I likey!

CRAZY KEN

Dang...those H3C bulbs are HID? Hmmmm...I want HID reverse lights...make it so mr_luv...this weekend! Negitive

mr_luv: "Leave the shield in there it stops the light from bleedingup into the lowbeams. yes all the light that is lost up in the lowbeams in the glare is put on the ground where it belongs

Looks like poo to me lol

and unusable light.

...no, the overall area that is being lite is a lot. It's not like the shield concentrates the light to make it more intense. Besides the car will look like a spacecraft flying down the street. I likey!

think of all that light that goes in to the atmosphere going on to the ground I prefer that.

...no, the overall area that is being lite is a lot. It's not like the shield concentrates the light to make it more intense. Besides the car will look like a spacecraft flying down the street. I likey! Oh and what glares others decreases what u can see a little too especially in rain or snow.

...its about fracken time you chimed in here buddy!

Dang...those H3C bulbs are HID? Hmmmm...I want HID reverse lights...make it so mr_luv...this weekend!

mr_luv: "Leave the shield in there it stops the light from bleedingup into the lowbeams.

...so minuet! Bleed shmeed...I'll take so pics of my coverage for yall!

Causing mucho glare

and unusable light.

CRAZY KEN

Mr.350

...and you call yourself a light guru grand master...you cant even put a fracken H3C HID kit in my reverse light housing!

CRAZY KEN

u suck....I am not asking for much...fine give me a set of bi-xenons and we'll call it even!

I never said it couldn't be done I and negitive cause we don't have any and it wouldn't be viable solution cause they need to warm uo. What I would use would be high flux LED's or Julet led's for reverse lights so ya or nay on the halos? they already in gonna have to take them out if not.
Mr.350

I've got ERD's in my reverse lights. They are noticeably brighter then any of the OEM replacements. They are NOT HID bright, though...not even close. But, like mr_luv said, HID's wouldn't work as reverse lights unless you felt like sitting there waiting for them to warm up every time you back up.

I'm still searching for a good, ultra-bright reverse option (other then mounting Hella 500's on the rear bumper). Just aren't many options. With the wagon tinted, though, it's hard to see much behind me. I'd like to devise a light bar flush with the rear spoiler (where the top brake light is) but throw in a few bright lights, too.

Well, I'm no expert, but if the box says 35W, that's probably what you got. May have been a mistake in the kit the vendor gave you. They look a little less bright then mine, so I'd guess from that alone that they are 35W. Your lows look like what I'd expect from 5k. Both 35w and 55w in those housings are bright because they are pretty tightly focused.

They are 55W after all. I confirmed the size, and case. I think the alignment is just off, and the camera didn't quite pick up how bright it really was! I drove home last night with them. Although the beam didn't illuminate the road the way the low beam HID's do (different pattern)... standing in front of the car at night.... the light was bright as %$^%$&^%$&^%$!

I understand about adjusting the front screw for alignment. What is the hand knob behind the fog light assembly for? Does that do anything or is that do disassemble?

Can someone snap a pic from inside the car with just the fogs on? I am really interested in how they will work for bad weather.

Also, those of you with 55W kits, did you install them with the extra wire harness or did you just do a plug and play set up? If no harness...any issues with them not lighting consistently?

Can someone snap a pic from inside the car with just the fogs on? I am really interested in how they will work for bad weather.

Also, those of you with 55W kits, did you install them with the extra wire harness or did you just do a plug and play set up? If no harness...any issues with them not lighting consistently?

FatBastard (LOL)...

I know where you are going with the bad weather. Having my low beam HID's in the snow is crazy. It feels like I'm getting invaded (snow pattern in the light). If I dare put on the high beam... it is like something out of a Steven King book. If it ever snows down here again.... I will be glad to snap a pic with just the fogs on to see how that looks.

BTW... I wired without the extra cable, and no problems so far. My ballast is the one on the right (4 inches long).

I went with harnesses just to play it safe, but from what I've heard, the stock wiring seems to hold up just fine. Might've just been a wasted step.

I can't run my fogs independently, so I can't help with that picture. One of these days I'm getting high-beam HID's to match, and then I'll be one bright spot at night. My fogs are wired to automatically switch on with my brights. (shhhh.....)

As has been mentioned quite a bit on these forums, closing the gap in the housing should reduce the glare in snowy driving conditions. I haven't gotten that far myself, though, so I can't confirm how much it helps. In theory, it should block off most of the upward directed light, though.

you people, i love it

i got 4300 HID's and i love them especially compared to stock

I am thinking about taking out my fogs all together LOL!

Save weight hehe

They soon will be brake ducts for stop techs and CAI

Archived