LegacyGT.com

Pics of HIDs Fogs..

bgray

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
I will do the independant fog switch hopefully this weekend and then likely order 55W 5K fogs. Can anybody takes pics from inside of the road with and without the hid fogs? I know the pattern is pretty small for the fogs... I can barely notice the one on my drivers side, and can't tell if the passengers side is even on with my current main HIDs.

The 55w 5k fogs make a big difference in total light output. I'll try to get some pics of just the lows and then with both from inside the car sometime this weekend.

I took pics last night (Halloween...ooooooweeeeeooooooo) but they didn't come out well. Can't really tell much from them so I'll try again in a different location.

akscooby, what wattage are your lowbeams?

(I recently got my DDM 35 watt kits for both the H7 and H3 but haven't had time to install yet...)

I've got 55W in both lows and fogs. The pictures really don't tell the story on how bright they are. I have seen the 35's on other cars, though, and frankly they look pretty bright, too.

Actually I think there is a big difference. Look at the first mailbox on the right, and then look directly off to the far left. Compare how well lit the side of the road is.

Since I didn't install my (main) HID kit.... I bought and installed (just for the experience) the cheapo blue'ish bulbs. I wonder if I could mount the ballasts right on top of the fog light housing on top of the inside bumper? Any opinions to this?

Alright, still didn't come out great...just doesn't do the brightness justice, but it'll give an idea of the impact of HID fogs....

Low beams only:

http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq208/slmorsell/intlowsresize.jpg

With fogs:

http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq208/slmorsell/intfogres.jpg

I had an installer do mine...somehow got the bulbs in from behind/through the end cap. It actually seemed to work fine that way from a fitment point of view, but I had to tear it all apart to seal it properly. Had to do my own siliconing. Also had to re-mount the ballasts, as they were done pretty poorly and upon tearing things apart I found the installer drilled holes right into and through the housings to screw them into. That ticked me off, and they just got lucky the screws didn't hit anything. Had to seal those holes, too. Now the ballasts are tucked into the backside of the bumper, 3M taped.

I probably would have been better off just doing it myself to begin with, but I was being lazy and just figured someone else who knew what they were doing would be easier. :rolleyes:

But the difference in light is hugely noticeable when you're driving. The pictures show some of that, and yes you can see the sides a lot better, which is why I posted them. They don't really do the whole setup justice, but you can still tell that the fogs do make a difference, especially in lighting the sides of the road.

Actually in the pics above you can see the true difference in light on the boulder on the left edge of the road. That would be the area where you would want the light for critters and whatnot coming onto the road.

...I had to do that when I custom fitted Turbo XS FMIC. Bought a cheap metal housing glass lense foglight - Optilux 1600 and retro fitted Apexcone H3 HID kit. since they are flat and slim not round, I mounted them towards the outer edge on the upper part of the foglight opening. They are visibly aimed to 45 degrees right and 135 degrees left. I took the glare shield out. Now I see great than 180 degrees and many many feet in front of me. It so bright I can see peoples faces on the left when I pass them! ;) muhahahaha

CRAZY KEN

...I had to do that when I custom fitted Turbo XS FMIC. Bought a cheap metal housing glass lense foglight - Optilux 1600 and retro fitted Apexcone H3 HID kit. since they are flat and slim not round, I mounted them towards the outer edge on the upper part of the foglight opening. They are visibly aimed to 45 degrees right and 135 degrees left. I took the glare shield out. Now I see great than 180 degrees and many many feet in front of me. It so bright I can see peoples faces on the left when I pass them! ;) muhahahaha

CRAZY KEN

SWEET. Gotta try that....

How are people installing the bulbs? drilling holes into the cap?

I used a drill and cut out the bottom right side of both caps (having a dremmel helps!). Once the wires were through the hole, I used the rubber gasket. I will add some caulk tomorrow while mounting the ballasts.

You could probably get away with mounting on the housing. Not sure how hot they get, though. Just don't drill into the housing and mess up the seal like the guy that installed mine. Basically had to reinstall everything myself to seal things up. It is fairly easy to mount the ballasts on the inside lip of the bumper with 2-sided 3M tape. Just wipe all areas clean with alcohol first and it should stick like glue. The tape that shipped with mine was pretty worthless, so I would recommend against using that.

I have not done any alignment yet.....

I bought the 55 W kit. The box reads Output power (steady state) = 35W? They are brite as hell. They do not have the color of the 5K low beams. I read on another site that the 55K ballasts do not show color as well. I won't hear back from the vendor I bought them from until tomorrow. What do you think?

100_0507.thumb.jpg.27b07501fbf3d8c4362b27d97881300a.jpg

100_0508.thumb.jpg.aaf1fc4da2029c975c44a949ec05704e.jpg

Archived