LegacyGT.com

I despise the parking light switch on top the steering column

Thanks, i've asked around and no one could really tell me if the switch was still on current model subarus.

No, it's not. In all their "wisdom" they have made some interesting stuff with the BIU instead so if you remove the key the lights go off. If you then turn off the lights on the stalk and on again then the lights comes on. So to have the lights to come on automatically next time you sit in the car you need to insert and remove the key instead. :spin:

I definitely prefer the button instead.

453747.png

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rewired mine to have the switch permanently off (activated instead by remote starter, and the switch itself now controls something else). If you don't like it, fix it.

/Unsubscribing

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• Mega Users

I've hit it accidentally two times when cleaning the dash. The first time it drained the battery after a few hours, but the battery was on its way out anyway. The second time, it was on for at least 9 hours while I was at work and the car started up normally. It didn't even slow down the starter.

Personally, IDGAF about it being there or not. If you're bitching about it, you know it's there. So it's your own damned fault for hitting it. :lol:

• 1 month later...
Has anyone had an issue with: the Parking Light Switch is off, and the fog light switch indicator light goes out (the fog lights still working, just the light on the switch goes out.) Then if you turn the Parking Light Switch on (like you were leaving just the parking lights on) well THEN the indicator light on the Fog Light Switch again lights up, showing you if the fog lights are on or off. Apparently accidentally bumped the Parking Light Switch off and then spent an hour trying to figure out why I had no tail lights or parking lights at all, (while car running, key on). After finding the problem being that the Parking Light Switch was the culprit, I realized that the fog light indicator light (the light on the switch itself) goes out when the Parking Light Switch is off (in the correct position for normal driving) and when I would switch the Parking Light switch then the fog light indicator light goes OUT, which makes no sense . . . I am totally confused now! Anyone else have this happen! This girl doesn't think I need to hire someone to find this problem, as it seems so simple, ha, ha, ha!!! But maybe it is a serious problem, just don't know.

• 3 months later...

I know this thread is old but . I agree with Hexmods

I rewired mine to have the switch permanently off (activated instead by remote starter, and the switch itself now controls something else). If you don't like it, fix it.

I just went through the 2003 diagram to see how this switch works.

Mod 1:

It works like you would expect. It switches power from the clearance/taillight relay (load) to a fused input from the battery.

I plan on re-purposing my switch as Dome defeat.

My plan is to salvage a mating connector shaped like the switch connector. The mating connector will have pins 2 and 4 only, one soldered to the other.

I would now have the following:

• use of the switch as a dome override,
  • an always hot wire that can take a bit of power. It connects to a 20Amp fuse.

If I come across a 2 pole connector that accept these pins, I will separate the always hot to a separate connector.

Mod 2:

I'll run my new always hot to leg 1 of a 2-way toggle switch. The power source intended for the socket to the other switch leg. The center pin of the socket connects to the common poll of 2-way switch.(cut original socket power) Now, position 1; socket is always on. Position 2, on with ignition.

Mod 3: Door triggered, Dome Light defeat.

Goals: Dome will still function to factory specs when switched to ON/OFF/Door at the Fixture.

Fixture when in DOOR position can be defeated.

Why: I usually forget stuff in my car. I like to leave my dome light always off. I don't like to reach up to the fixture to switch it to Door/On when I do need to use it. I am usually looking for stuff in the vehicle at night.

Take the door output from Keyless module or Door trigger going to the fixture. (white/Red) Cut and Run one side to Pin1 of old parking light switch. Run the other side of cut to pin4. Pin 1 and 4 are connected with switch ON.

Switch off= no dome with door open.

Switch on= dome with door open.

switch-mod.png.e8095f422db26b4ce7460c5a73320039.png

As far as the the Column switch connector, it appears to be a Sumitomo 2.3II(090II) TS Unsealed Series 4 Position Female Housing

http://www.newunitedracetech.com/shop/images/Products/8971.jpg

http://www.newunitedracetech.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19_36_68_1487_530&products_id=8971

I think i should be able to find a connector housing to mate with this one and compatible terminals.

Going to have to play with this thing now. I've been curious about the switch, but wasn't able to get it to "do" anything.

So, it keeps your parking lights on when your key is out of the ignition?

Being the third owner, it's possible that one of the other two disabled it somehow, but I'm not sure why they wouldn't have also disabled the seat belt alarm also...

Archived