LegacyGT.com

I despise the parking light switch on top the steering column

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think SOA tells dealers to emphatically warn buyers about that switch. EVERY legacy/outback owner I know, regardless of dealer, always has a story about how the salesman repeatedly warned about that switch.

Makes you wonder, if Subaru knows it's such a pain...why keep it?

I had to retrain myself to go around the steering wheel to reset trip meters, rather than through it and risk hitting that switch by accident.

The trouble is that people hit it without realizing it, lots of people forget it is even there. Then the lights drain the battery. If it had a light instead of that silly orange patch hiding behind the steering wheel, it might be better.

A switch like that belongs on the center stack.

I heard it's the law in Europe to drive with parking lights on. Don't know if it's true or not, just heard it from a friend with an Outback. We were bitching about that switch, go figure. :lol:

Nonsense. The switch is there because the normal headlamp switch comes on only with ignirion on, which I think is GREAT. No chance of leaving low/high beams on.

And, by the way, I wonder why Americans driving euro cars get overwhelmed by rear fog light switch :rolleyes:

I heard it's the law in Europe to drive with parking lights on. Don't know if it's true or not, just heard it from a friend with an Outback. We were bitching about that switch, go figure. :lol:
Wrong, the law is that when left on the side of the road, the parking lights must remain on. If you want to lock your car and take your keys, you must have a switch like this...

Is it THAT hard to turn it off? How do you ever remember to switch gears, put the car in park, or put in/out the parking brake?

:spin:

i can't believe you guys are whining about a light switch. its even a useful light.

and its been on subarus for a long time... it was on my 1991 legacy.

I think it has something to do with the fact that our lights go off with the ignition. so there should be a way to keep a light on without having the car on "on" with the key in the ignition.

has anyone ever used that switch for the lights on purpose?

On the way to Mt. Snow, VT, we got caught in an ice storm on a road in the middle of no where. I was able to get the car to a "safe" corner where I wouldn't slide away and parked for the night. The lights kept me visible (plow trucks passed a few times but never salted the hill we needed to go up) as we slept in the car until the morning.

i can't believe you guys are whining about a light switch. its even a useful light.

and its been on subarus for a long time... it was on my 1991 legacy.

I think it has something to do with the fact that our lights go off with the ignition. so there should be a way to keep a light on without having the car on "on" with the key in the ignition.

I like the feature... -but if you don't know about it and bump the switch and can cause a headache... now that I know about it it is no big deal.

Nonsense. The switch is there because the normal headlamp switch comes on only with ignirion on, which I think is GREAT. No chance of leaving low/high beams on.

Exactly. I love that I can leave my headlights on and turn the car off without having to worry about draining the battery accidently. I don't think Ive ever hit that switch on accident. Its kind of in an akward place to do so unless you are cleaning.

The reason that it is stupid is that it is so unconventional. My '94 Camry had headlights that went on and off with the ignition...and you could turn on the parking lights with the engine off if you wanted to. And this was accomplished with just the stalk switch. Just because something is different doesn't mean it is a better idea. And if it was such a great idea why did it disappear on the new Forester?
It is still ugly.

Here in Sweden you must drive with the lights on, not only the parking lights but the headlights (dip beam) all the time.

453747.png

Archived