LegacyGT.com

Legacy/Outback Reviews & Articles List

July Road and Track did a "first drive" -- same as everyone has said-- just now in a big car mag :D [url]www.roadandtrack.com[/url] doesn't seem to have the article online, I'll quote a few memorable parts (by Sam Mitani) -mentioned Japan Car of the Year upset- said it was with good reason. -said it had [quote=Mitani of R&T]...the same turbocharged 2.5-liter flat-4 found in the company's formidable sports sedan, the WRX STi. ... While I love this engine in the Impreza WRX STi, I would have preferred something with a bit more linear acceleration in this car. There's a dead spot below 2500 rpm, and while the on-off nature of the turbocharger (which occurs around 3000 rpm) may me fun when driving in a spirited manner, it can get tiresome if racing around corners isn't your thing. That said, the new Legacy does invite you to take turns faster than in your everyday commuter. The car's steering is quick and precise, and its handling balance is near neutral. Despite being awd, the Legacy reacts like a rear-wheel driver, possessing response and agility more akin to something from Germany than Japan. The suspension system-MacPherson struts up front and multilink at the rear-does a commendable job of providing stability while keeping body roll minimal.[/quote] Notable captions: Headline: "Legacy 2.5 GT and Outback 3.0 R" Subheadline: "Raising the bar in the fiercely competitive midsize sedan segment" Caption: "The Legacy (top) and Outback boast excellent fit and finish." Overall the article was very favorable and similar to the smaller-testers/writers north of the border.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just read the July Car & Driver, Outback GT review. Subaru could not hope for a better review and sincere praise for specific underlying engineering details. Even the mild criticisms are presented with rare understanding and can actually be viewed as strengths. Less than expected cornering gs can easily become sports sedan numbers with sport vs off-road/weather tires. Saying that the Outback/Legacy has hardware, suspension geometry and balance to be a credible performance car, but is tuned for the middle market is perfect. Driving enthusiasts hear this as performance tires and a few tweaks will create a best of breed performer. The mid-market, being Subaru’s customer base and target mid-size SUV owners, hear Subaru is a rugged, safe, quality decision with a strong dash of excitement hidden inside. Combine the Car & Driver Review with the two page print advert that shouts performance better than Porsche/BMW and you have a marketing masterpiece. Rugged, Safe & Sexy across multiple categories. Remember, this was an Outback review, not a Legacy 2.5GT review still to come. Subaru is executing an effective, aggressive image reset and up-market re-positioning. Enthusiasts should wish Subaru great success with their tuning for the “broad market” so Subaru can afford to continue building sport wagons that can capably deliver and handle 5.8 sec. to 60 mph performance. All this goodness and for $6,000 to $8,000 less than BMW. Subaru Marketing & Engineering should be celebrating at one of those very expensive, private Japanese golf clubs.

• 2 weeks later...
For those who car :D Here is the online version of the Car and Driver review! They put the OBXT through it's paces.. pretty good read. Don't know if this is the same version in the mag or not. Check it out! [url]http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=8204[/url] Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...
Motor Trend this month had a first drive, and I can't seem to find it online, among their other first drives. They were actually quite nice, almost glowing about the outback and Legacy. They liked the Outback a bit better, and mentioned the slower steering being one of the reasons. I'll edit this post, or re-post if I find a link on Motor Trend's site. Check it out if you are near a news stand, though.

What about the August Car & Driver Sti Forester review? Just back and did not see mention on site. If Suby is showing off a special edition Forester Sti, could Legacy be far behind? Is this article a peak at Subys plan to unfold? Doubt that this press article is an accident or not part of a Suby strategy.

AutoWeek Article: [url]http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=reviews&loc_code=index&content_code=03920136[/url] [url=http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=reviews&loc_code=index&content_code=03920136]Clicky[/url] - Mike[/url]

[quote name='godwhomismike']AutoWeek Article: [url]http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=reviews&loc_code=index&content_code=03920136[/url] [url=http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=reviews&loc_code=index&content_code=03920136]Clicky[/url] - Mike[/url][/quote] Already added to the initial post... Still, I can not wait until we get some big comparisons from the mags.

Another Motor Trend drive, not test: [url]http://motortrend.com/roadtests/wagon/112_0408_subaru/index.html[/url] "During a limited drive in Miami, we were impressed equally with the turbo's verve and smoothness - often mutually exclusive traits. The electronic throttle control offered greater precision than more common mechanical configurations without reducing the driving experience to a numb video game. Power off the line is spirited, but once rpm climbs past 3000, the torque approaches its peak and the car scoots with unexpected athleticism." "Reborn for 2005, the Legacy also boasts new-found refinement levels, improved safety features, and more performance than expected from a $26,000 car with the GT sedan. For midsize buyers prizing driving experience and all-weather safety, the sleeker, more refined, more powerful, and more compelling Legacy demands consideration."

[quote name='john.di.martino']Not sure if this one has been posted before. It is a comparison between Legacy GT, BWN 530, Saab 9-5. [url]http://motoring.iafrica.com/carsinaction/shootout/291844.htm[/url] Regards John[/quote] "The BMW is a contradiction in terms. By far the best quality still (but if Subaru keeps moving forward at the rate it has in this department, it will soon be there)... " "The star ratings on our tables for this test relate to the Subaru and the BMW as scoring nine apiece and the Saab having eight. Had these cars been manual, the Subaru, by virtue of what it offers for the price, would have scored ten stars. The others would not change... " Oh, yeah! :D

[quote name='Throttlejockey']Anyone see this site yet? Cutaway pics of the car, flywheel, turbo, ect... [url]http://subiegal.com/images/events/05subaru_legacygt/05subarulegacy.htm[/url][/quote] Nice site. People should check these out. NGG

The UK Leg GT comparo article with BMW530I and Saab, is the best comparo I have read yet. Suby could not have written better quotes describing the drivetrain superiority and simplicity of the Leg GT. The few weak spots for Suby are easily added on next model year (homelink, better stereo, tele steering wheel, etc) and one fix we have now in NoAm (MT thank you much). On all the important, hard to do stuff, Leg GT came out way ahead. Regarding snob factor, Suby may never have that, BUT may replace it with the unique performance engineering image factor that so many weekend warriors appreciate. I hope Suby does not give up their unique quirks (frameless windows etc,) in the pursuit of being “up market”. Is it marketing BS or real that Suby puts more steel in the door opening frame where it has greater impact on strength than in the window frame? Or is frameless window just a way to build cheaper? Adding a better sound system option, a few other gadgets mentioned, higher quality carpeting, and rear armrest for wagon are easy, low cost, no compromise ways to bring the already great Leg GT interior up market.

• 2 weeks later...
This reviewer loves the LGT and adores the 5EAT/turbo combination. [url]http://www.pacificatribune.com/Stories/0,1413,92~3244~2328123,00.html[/url] Once again a Subaru has stolen my heart Once again a Subaru has stolen my heart. I just can't help myself; every time I drive a new Subie I get weak in the knees. It's kind of like dating a new Playboy Bunny every week. OK, so I exaggerate just a little. Subaru builds a darnn fine car and every model change just gets better. Case in point, the 2005 Legacy 2.5 GT available in both a four-door sedan and wagon with two trim levels -GT and GT Limited. The Legacy GT has always been a very nice car but it has always needed just a little more power to be outstanding. Subaru let North America in on their turbocharged power upgrade with the WRX (227 hp) and found that IT SOLD! Then they added the WRX Sti (300 hp). Last year the Forester 2.5 XT came on board with 210 hp. This year the Legacy GT gets the turbocharging treatment. The Legacy 2.5 GT is equipped with a 2.5-liter, DOHC, inter-cooled, turbocharged, boxer four-cylinder engine that produces 250 hp at 6,000 rpm and 250 lb.-ft. at 3,600 rpm. (I want everyone to think back to the much loved 5.0 Mustang that produced 225 hp.) In order to get those figures Premium fuel is required, which does hurt the wallet a bit. The engine is coupled to either 5-speed manual gearbox or a 5-speed automatic with Sportshift (manual control) via either the shift lever or steering wheel buttons. Like all Subaru's the Legacy 2.5 GT is all-wheel drive. If the Legacy 2.5 GT had only received the engine upgrade it would have been amazing but that was hardly the extent of the changes. The exterior has been redesigned, not drastically mind you but enough so a handsome car got even better. One of my neighbors, an admitted Subaru aficionado, said the Legacy 2.5 GT could be mistaken for a certain German car also known for their all-wheel drive. The wheelbase has been extended by 0.8 inch to 105.1 inches for a better ride. The 2.5 GT rides on 215/45R17 all-season tires mounted on good-looking 17 inch alloy wheels. One of the challenges with an engine like this one that makes its peak hp at 6,000 rpm is to have adequate grunt at lower speeds. The WRX and WRX Sti, which both have the same power peak, are a little weak at lower engine speeds. The Legacy 2.5 GT is a very tractable engine, delivering smooth power without having to whip the engine. The engine is helped by a 4.11 final drive with the manual transmission. Fourth and fifth gears in the manual are overdrives so fuel economy is not bad. The automatic uses a 3.27 final drive with only fifth gear being an overdrive. Both automatic and manual are rated at 19-mpg city and 25-mpg highway, for the wagon or sedan. Although the test car was a five-speed manual transmission I have driven an automatic version. I like to shift by myself but I have to admit the automatic is very good. [b]I have found that automatic transmissions tend to work in harmony with turbocharged engines. [/b]Turbocharged engines tend to be pesky and unless you keep the transmission in the right gear, you can end up with no power for a second or two (turbo lag). An automatic transmission, especially a computer controlled one, helps keep the engine in its power band. Having said all that, I still would take a manual over an automatic. I just like the feeling I get when I get the clutch, brake, throttle, shift lever, and steering all working just right. There really isn't anything like the thrill of braking, downshifting, hitting the apex just right, and powering out smoothly. The Legacy 2.5 GT handles very well. Think about it - Subaru has worked on what started out as a very ordinary sedan and wagon and turned it into a real GT, a car that rides and handles very close to the best in its class. I like the wagon best for its utility and elegance but other than the large cargo area it and the sedan are essentially the same. All 2.5 GT's have a 120-watt sound system with a 6-disc in-dash changer, an All-Weather Package with heated front seats, exterior mirrors and windshield wiper de-icer, a trip computer, cruise control, dual-zone automatic climate control, and all the remote features you would expect. The GT Limited adds perforated leather upholstery, eight-way power driver's seat, four-way power front passenger seat, and a large, dual pane power moonroof (this is pretty cool; instead of having a fixed deflector or a tiny pop-up one, there is a glass panel about 6 inches wide that flips up while the moonroof slides back) over the already loaded GT. Subaru, like many others, is trying to move upscale. Even so the GT and GT Limited are fairly priced. The GT lists for $25,995 (sedan) and $26,995 (wagon), while the GT Limited goes for $28,495 and $29,695 respectively. For a car that is virtually bulletproof, quick and fast, has all-wheel drive (no chains!), and has all the style and elegance you could ask for those are not bad prices.

[quote name='trseeley'][url=http://www.drivingsports.com/a/templates/topic.aspx?articleid=19&zoneid=5][b]Driving Sports Magazine[/b] review[/url][/quote] Well THAT's a flat-out rave, eh, and they tested a wagon because as we all know, wagons rule. Kevin

Archived