LegacyGT.com

Legacy/Outback Reviews & Articles List

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for linking this up all in one post. Spent most of the afternoon and early evening reading through the various 1st drives and tests. Each had a different 'impression" of what made this particular generation so "good", and able to take the previous generations "to a whole new plane". On the whole, there wasn't a poor review in the lot and several that were effusive in their praise. My take away after reading the writeups was that the critics really believe that the new Legacy has found its "soul". Each of the areas that were semi-critical, I've experienced on the several drives that I've taken with the new GT and most, as in the articles, centered around the on-boost lag with the auto. I didn't notice this with the 5 speed at all and very little with the auto. I guess I need to go spend a little more time with the two and see if my initial impression / desire to go with the 5 speed is just because I like to row the stick or if it's something more tactile/missing in the auto drive. Thanks again for the links. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

The September 2004 issue of Sports Car International magazine has a three page road test of of the Legacy GT. They had a lot of good words for the car. They liked how responsive the chassis was to throttle input. They liked the steering quickness, but thought it was a little down on feel from the previous generation Legacy. They also complemented Subaru on the ride-handling balance. They thought the wagon looked better than the sedan. (No really, I'm not just saying that because I bought a wagon.) They reported a 0-60 time of 5.9 seconds with the manual transmission.

[quote name='squirrel-bait']Here's a review from the Detroit News - it's a very entertaining read. Kind of a point-counterpoint: [url]http://info.detnews.com/autosconsumer/autoreviews/index.cfm?id=15890[/url] sqrl b8[/quote] I think that's a really positive review. The female reviewer seems to be set up as a ditzy strawman while the guy's comments are concrete, direct and very positive. I suppose the cutesy format makes it more fun reading, but if I were a feminist I'd complain about the gender stereotyping. Where's subiegal when we need her? :wink:

Here is a reveiw from CBS market watch. I did not see it listed. Sorry if it has been posted before. To print: Select File and Then Print in your browser pull-down menus. Back to story AUTO REVIEW 2005 Subaru Legacy GT This is a Subie? It's well-built, fun to drive By Ron Amadon, CBS.MarketWatch.com Last Update: 12:08 PM ET July 10, 2004 DARNESTOWN, MD (CBS MW) -- Ladies and Gentlemen, we have here the "Sleeper Car" of the year! We are very glad we did not see the Subaru folks drive this one off after our test period was over - this GT even makes a trip to the store for spinach fun. The GT is powerful, smooth, and quiet; solidly built; and handles well enough to have your back seat passengers cinching up their seat belts and saying, "This is a Subie?" Yes, it is, and if you're in the market for a well built, snazzy-looking (how many Subaru's can make that claim?) fun-to-drive car that won't have you reaching for a stiff drink when you make out the monthly check, head to your Subie dealer and tell 'em "Groucho sent ya." This car is about as different from the early Subaru's as a ride on the Queen Elizabeth II differs from the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria. The 2.5-liter, turbocharged 16-valve Boxster-style four is always ready to rev to the red line fast enough for you to swallow your gum. It cranks out 250-horsepower and delivers 18/25 miles per gallon, according to the EPA. Therein, however, is the one down side to this car. Turbo lag. You would do well to plan out your quick moves around a semi on a two-lane highway. One thousand one, one thousand two... and holy sushi and egads, this little Subie just pushed me back into the seat. Our pre-production test model came with the 5-speed adaptive electronic shift, which did a great job. A 5-speed manual is also available. And of course all that power is fed through a seamless all-wheel drive system, so there is no torque steer. See slide show Handling is flat, just shy of a true sports car, but more than enough to allow you to enjoy your daily commute. Of course, there is a four-wheel independent suspension with strut-type lower L-arm up front with anti-dive geometry. Out back, there is a multi-link system with anti-lift and anti-squat. Four-wheel disc brakes are standard with ABS. The leather-covered seats hold you in place fairly well, but just a touch more side bolstering would have been nice. The Momo steering wheel was a nice touch. All of the controls are easy to become acquainted with. And the car is very, very well equipped. Talk about bang for the buck! A sunroof, (with plenty of headroom), automatic climate control, 8-way power driver's seat and 4-way power front passenger seat - and both are heated. Add in a fine sounding six-speaker, six-disc in-dash CD player and security system - all for an easy to take MSRP of $28,495 for the GT Limited Sedan. This is a well-built, fun to drive, quiet people mover that should be high on the list of anyone seeking a wonderful sporty car that will carry four, or five if they are related. We think the GT is a tough-to-top car and truly the sleeper sedan of the past year. Comments? [email]ramadon@marketwatch.com[/email] Ron Amadon is a morning news anchor on the CBS MarketWatch.com Radio Network

Another review for you guys to read.... [url=http://www.drive.com.au/news/article.asp?article=http://drive.fairfax.com.au/content-new/news/general/2004/09/07/FFXOFXAYSYD.html]Liberty 3.0R- B review[/url][/url]

Sometimes I think people just have no idea what real turbo lag is. The lag in the Legacy GT is nearly nonexistent compared to a lot of other turbo cars. And what minimal lag there is is only below 2500 RPM. Punch it at 4k and boom you're gone, no lag no nothing. Too bad he didn't mention that part.

Road & Track, October 2004, p. 118 Test (again) of the Legacy GT against the TSX.....except this time, the Legacy GT comes out on top! And in both price-independent and price-dependent categories. Much more of a positive review from Dennis Simanaitis. I just wonder why they don't have the short shifter option in these test cars. I checked their website, but it's still primarily stuff from their September issue. Ron
Ron

Here are the latest review links on the 2005 Legacy and Outback models. Many of these links have been found here on this forum (thanks to all of you!), and some I stumbled across from other resources. Please feel free to send me more links, as well as corrections. Enjoy! -KarenM- [url]http://members.cox.net/kamartin/2005outbackreviews.html[/url]

[url=http://www.drive.com.au/news/article.asp?article=http://drive.fairfax.com.au/content-new/news/general/2004/09/23/FFXPU9TSFZD.html]Drive.com.au - Manual Liberty GT Review[/url] From what I can gather the only downside is "Noticeable turbo lag at low revs". That's a bit of a cop out reason against getting one. The only alternative being, putting in a 6 cyclinder or higher displacement engine ... with a turbo of course 8) I think the guy is secretly saying - BRING ON A 3.0 Litre (or more) Turbo!!! Do i hear STI??? :wink: Cheers, Mike.

After much fussing about with the attachement system (never used one before), I finally have this ready to roll.

Heres a review of the six cylinder models 3.0R and 3.0R-B taken from the October edition of Australia's Wheels magazine. Theres also a small snippet on the manual GT just released here. Just thought you guys would be interested.

Sorry about the quality, I had to up the compression to fit on the file server

enjoy.

If mags scans aren't allowed, just tell me and I'll get rid of them

wheels_liberty1.thumb.jpg.2203f2d4ace1ffc0b5afcfead58f9c9d.jpg

wheels_liberty2.thumb.jpg.23a2d7c265472ffba791020f8b3f6e59.jpg

Archived