LegacyGT.com

Why can't Subaru make reasonable wheel gaps?

rs6er

No experience with the Spec B Bilsteins, but if it is an inverted monotube (most likely is), then the bumpstop is internal and can't be trimmed like suggested for the other twin tube stuff. You definately shouldn't be off right to left like that but the accurate way to measure is from the bottom of the fender to the center of the wheel and ideally you should have before and after measurements.

I've got no problems with my iONs (not harsh,not hitting bumpstops), that almost looks like he forgot a spring.

^john, do not get h-techs (you took a ride in my car when i had those). I never experienced the issues you are discussing.I have coilovers on my car now you're more than welcome to test drive it when i get back home if you're thinking about altering your suspension setup.
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

I disagree...

we could argue all day about this... I have put coilover and strut/shock setups on literally 1000's of cars.

anyone else wanna chime in here?

Anything that uses pillowball mounts will ride like shit. Anything using stock top hats like KW's or Tein Basics will ride fine. You can argue all day about it because your opinions aren't specific to what setup your talking about.:spin:

EDIT: Whats wrong with H techs? I only have expierence on Stock 05 shocks but they aren't bad at all. You can definately tell the stock shocks are underdampened but they will be for any spring you get. The Spec B bilsteins should handle them better. Drop is nice and even for me..... I'm on Michigan roads and VERY rarely hit the bump stops. Only when loaded with 4 people.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j263/boostsr20/DSC02178.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j263/boostsr20/DSC02062.jpg

• 7 months later...
No experience with the Spec B Bilsteins, but if it is an inverted monotube (most likely is), then the bumpstop is internal and can't be trimmed like suggested for the other twin tube stuff.

The bumpstop in Bilsteins can be trimmed and that's what I'm planning to do. Bilstein's (and, I would imagine other inverted struts), have a large nut at the base of the strut tub. Undo that nut, which is really the end of the strut rod, and pull the bottom part of the strut off. The bump stop should be a tiered-type stopper so just cut the largest tier off, reinstall everything in reverse order, mount up your springs, mount up your struts and good to go.

FWIW - I have SpecB Bilsteins with Swift Wagon SS. Over smoother surfaces, the ride is perfect, level and flat. But over bump-ups and heaves in the road, the Swifts have taken stroke length away from the Bilsteins, so I know they're bottoming out on the bump stoppers which causes a definite "bounce-up". That's why I'm taking mine apart and cutting ~ 3/4" out of the bump stopper inside the strut. That should return the strut stroke to about what it was before the Swift lowering springs were put on.

And to rs6er - I don't think your dust guards are the issue. They're about 1/4" at their maximum thickness around the strut rod and they're a softer plastic so I can't imagine them having the kind of affect that Jack is indicating. Bump stopper yes, dust guards no. Given your uneven wheel gaps (particularly at the rear :eek:) I'd take those springs off and compare their lenghts or look to see if you've got a bad strut at one or more of your corners.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

H teins say the drop is .90" front and back. So how is that uneven?

Because the front is stock higher than the rear. So if the drop is even from the springs, the front will remain higher. Most people want an extra 1/2" of drop in the front from stock to help make the car look even.

Joe

Archived